iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chili!

Started by Jeff, September 21, 2012, 09:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I had about a dozen very ripe tomatoes I needed to do something with, so since today was a cold wet day, I made chili out of them for supper. Tammy and Stacy said it was "amazing". I'd not go that far, but it was pretty good. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

I wish that I would conjure up a bowl of that right about now! 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Yep, I'm still hungry and that looks good.

SwampDonkey

I like a fine bowl of chili to. mmm  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bama20a

That does look GOOD digin_2 boss. Know what you mean about hateing to waste the Tomatoes,
Want be long till we will be over the fresh ones here. :-\
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

thecfarm

Looks good,put the meat right to it.   ;D  I can't have it too hot though. My stomach can not have things like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

We don't make spicy Chili here, as Tammy and Stacy can't have hot either. Its just thick and meaty and tasty.  :)

thecfarm

I'm just like SPD748.My truck is washed and full of fuel. Road trip.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

If it's gone by the time you get here, I'll make more. :)

thecfarm

That made me laugh out loud.

Jeff

Last night Jeremy say's "I could go for some Chili"  So I went out to the kitchen and spied about a dozen tomatoes still setting on the cupboard.  Found some frozen ground beef a big sweet onion, and a can of kidney beans and went to work.
Frozen ground beef works great. You put it right in the bottom of the pot, dump the cut up onions in there, turn the fire on very low, and cover. Once you get some juices thawed and going, you turn the burner up to about medium. As the meat cooks, you just keep checking and turning and flaking off meat. I drain it when it is not quite done, and then turn the heat up to start a little browning action. By using frozen cooked this way, you get some chunky hamburger bites.

I de-stemed the tomatoes and cut them into a big mixing bowl, skins, seeds and all. I then added about a tablespoon of dried sweet basil,a teaspoon of salt, a half teaspoon of black pepper and I'd say about 4 or 5 tablespoons of Chili Powder.  I took a hand chopper and chopped all the spices into the tomatoes and dumped into that, two cans of tomato soup, and the can of kidney beans.  Once the beef was browned to the point where the onions it was cooking with were starting to caramelize a bit, I drained it off again, and then added my mixture in the bowl to the pot. I turned the heat up to high, and stirred until everything came to a boil. I then reduced the heat to a very low simmer with the cover on, and cooked it for about an hour until Tammy got home from work.  She stopped at the store to pick up crackers, and they had a sale on something called Premium mini saltines, which you see in the picture.  :)

Den Socling

Patti went to visit her dad for a couple days so I'm on my own. She left me a big bowl of chili and I'm not complaining. Ground beef in chucks like Jeff said. Chopped green peppers and onions. Kidney beans and spices. Stewed tomatoes and you have a meal in a bowl.

bama20a

Man ya'll sure making me want chill now, We use alot of Deer meat around here & chill is one thing I like to put it in.

Jeff

Absolutely! I've not had any venison burger for awhile. Our property in the U.P. is high in predators and low in deer. No doe permits are given and bucks are few and far between. Things are getting better slowly of late, probably due to very mild winters.  It was a winter from hell in the mid 90's that pretty much wiped the deer out in our area and they just have not recovered since.   Venison Chili is the best. :)

sawguy21

Great minds think alike  :D We have had a stressful week after a death in the family, Karen was burned out last night so I made a pot similar to Jeff's. I also browned mushrooms with the meat and onions. I like mine with a bit of an attitude so added some chipotle to my bowl. Karen said she wasn't hungry but had two helpings, it was pretty good. Still enough for a couple of lunches.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

I have a bottle of hotsauce I use to liven up my serving, but I don't like things super hot, just with a bite.  I'd put in peppers and mushrooms too, but I have to cook to a happy median usually. :)

bama20a

Thing I've found about Chill is if you spice it with peppers, It may be ok,But the left over, (If Any  ;D) will take on the peppers & be Hotter when you reheat it.

WDH

Venison and chili are a match made in heaven.  Soon, it will be seasonal enough to want chili around here  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mike@Norwood

I've been thinking of making chili in my smoker. Anyone here ever give it a whirl?

Nonetheless, next batch I make I'm going to just go for it. I'll wing it and hope for the best.

Mike at Norwood

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: WDH on September 22, 2012, 09:37:26 PM
Venison and chili are a match made in heaven.  Soon, it will be seasonal enough to want chili around here  :).

We made our first batch of the season when it turned cool last week. Venison, dried beans, and home-canned tomatoes came together in a beautiful synergy with jalapenos, bell peppers, onion, garlic, salt, and various other seasonings. Every batch is different, because I don't use (or have) a recipe. This one was one of the better batches. Yum! No pictures, it's all gone :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Jeff

I'm intrigued on the smoker Chili Idea.  Have you seen it done before Mike?

Mike@Norwood

if you're ever looking for a nice twist with venison chili (or beef for that matter), try adding some sweet italian sausage. Cut up a couple links and brown it with the venison. I usually remove the casings before browning. I've tried hot Italian sausage, but the sweet compliments the venison w/o overpowering it better than the hot in my opinion

I can't locate the Emeril sound effect button to describe the flavor burst. Jeff, a little help here? lol

Mike at Norwood

Mike@Norwood

Sorry Jeff

I guess we kind of typed over eachother.

To answer your question, nope I've never seen it done. My thought was to first smoke a brisket. Then throw that in with the rest of the ingredients and give it a smoke for a few hours instead of on the stove top.

Just sounds like it'd be a good fit to me.

Magicman

Cold weather for us is anything below 40 and that means either chili or soup.

The only thing that I know about "her" chili recipe is that it taste good.  I do see ground meat, tomato, & beans.  I sprinkle the cheese on top just because I can.   food3
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Try using fritos sometime instead of crackers. It moves everything up a notch. BAM!  :)

Thank You Sponsors!