iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Can Handle It!

Started by Lud, September 21, 2012, 11:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lud

So while the wife's away, the craftsman plays.  While she's in Italy seeing her folks I got to get a handle on a few things.

The broadax  was an auction find last year. Another thread talked about the deer's foot handle so a quick carve and a woodburn got that nice.  The miner's pick had been around a long time here at the farm.  The handles are all hickory from her on the farm that I sawed up in the spring and turned on the lathe a bit. I found that a nice octagonal handle results if you index square stock on the lathe, you can shave off the 4 corners with a cheap little electric hand plane.

The hookeroons are a batch I made up from some old heavy files I got at garage sales  , heat up with the torch and blacksmith into shape.  Firewood folks like them and I get pestered by friends once they see them

It was a broke off broom with only about 3" of handle left . so I split off a piece of spalted maple, drilled it first and then turned it on the lathe, put a finish on it and glued it on with Titebond III , which is my glue of choice lately.

I'd read a thread that Charlie commented on and so got some gun blueing from up the road at the Log Cabin Black Powder Gun shop.  I put the blueing  on  both the broadax and the miner's pick and liked the result.  I'd had some of the  ONE Time finish left over from big table project in the spring.  I put that on all the handles and let them cure in the sun.  Saying what the heck, I put that over the gunblueing too and really liked the result.

Here's the pics....

And don't give me any grief about the shoe in the picture!  Enjoy 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Riggs

Nice looking work!!

I think I have a pair of shoes like those too  ;D
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

WDH

If you were as good fixing shoes as making handles, you would be in good shape  :D.

Those handles are awesome!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Nice looking handles. Now that's done what next can you show us???
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

All I can say about the shoes is they've been well worn by a handy man.

The handles look really nice Lud.  :)

Now is the broom going to use to tidy up before the wife returns home? ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lud

The Laundry will be done, the vacuuming will be done, the dishwasher will be run, the dogs will be brushed and washed,  the mowing will be done, some shopping will be done ..........before she gets home...........but not just yet! :D :D

She'll decide where the broom is most useful.  Maybe around the fireplace but it could be the dogroom.   Whatever she decides, ..I can handle it. ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Yeah, but the wife, she just has to raise her voice a little. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Lud, It's good to see that you have a handle on things around home while your wife is gone.  The handles are very nice too.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!