iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building an observation tower

Started by grweldon, September 21, 2012, 08:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

For years I've wanted to build an observation tower from wood, but before I bought my mill the cost of lumber was prohibitive.  I'm wondering if anybody here has done anything similar.  I could design one from scratch, but as any good engineer knows, it much better to start with something that has already been built and modify it for your purposes...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

fishpharmer

You may try a google search for elevated deer stands.  I have built a few myself.  Basically, mine are four poles with a platform on top.  They can be as high as your poles are long.  It may be less costly to use a big tree or a few smaller ones as a base.  Leaves may be hinder observation. 

Keep us posted on your progress.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Cypressstump

Welp, ya gonna need some stairs there Bud... !

Here's one I built last weekend in my spare time....

.....NOT !
It's a pic I borrowed.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

markd

did you carve that beauty out of a single tree?
markd

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: grweldon on September 21, 2012, 08:18:06 AM
For years I've wanted to build an observation tower from wood, but before I bought my mill the cost of lumber was prohibitive.  I'm wondering if anybody here has done anything similar.  I could design one from scratch, but as any good engineer knows, it much better to start with something that has already been built and modify it for your purposes...

What do you plan to observe?  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

What constitutes the tower you have in mind?
How tall? How many people? Method to climb to the observation deck?

Just saw this one in the neighboring town...not sure what it is to be other than lawn decor or a timber demo. 
A tarp had blown off the top, so suspect there is some roofing to do yet.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

grweldon

Hey Stump!  That's a cool looking tower and is along the lines of what I could envision, but dispensing with all the frilly stuff... much more rustic/primitive looking... and yep, I'm gonna need some steps!

Beenthere... that's a mighty fine looking tower, but I doubt if it would translate well to the heights I'm envisioning!

As for the height of the tower, 30 feet would be the minimum but I would actually like to have one somewhere in the 75-100 foot range.  You see, there's this row of trees that separates me from the nudist beach next door...  NOT!

A handful of people at the top... 5 or 6 would be max.  Most of the time it would be just me or just me and my honey, whomever that might be at the time. (Been going through a few the last couple of years).  I suppose stairs would be the most practical way up, especially if I wanted less adventurous people to join me!  Just a place to chill and drink a beer or three while enjoying God's creation from a different perspective...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

JohnW

Quote from: grweldon on September 21, 2012, 11:33:02 AM
As for the height of the tower, 30 feet would be the minimum but I would actually like to have one somewhere in the 75-100 foot range.
That sounds like a serious height to build a tower to.  How to control the sway, or to know when the sway is under control would be the thing.

SwampDonkey

Dunno if a steel tower would be cheaper or not. But I have seen some put up in forest to monitor weather conditions and dynamics of it all in the forest. Then it won't rot either. One spot I recall the trees are 35-40 foot and the tower is higher than that. I can't think it was too expensive since it is a university experiment and our universities here in NB don't do things too lavish because the funds are limited.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WildDog

Quoteone somewhere in the 75-100 foot range

100 ft is a significant height. I have a 100ft (33m)steel tower that holds the TV antena, (only farm on the creek that gets TV reception :)) built in 3 sections 33" foot long, 3 poles tapering as they rise. Its hinged at the bottom on 2 poles, the few times lightening has struck the insurance company sends out a crane and lowers it to replace the antena etc. 
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

thecfarm

Four guide wires would keep that thing from swaying ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thurlow

Not built of wood, but........there was a long thread a few years ago either on FF or Yesterday's Tractors about buying and moving  used/salvaged fire towers.  I'd love to have one-a-them.............
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

sparky1

wow 100 foot. Your gonna need a few beers just to get to the top. I do alot of wiring of grain legs. typically anywhere from 90 to 140 feet. Thats a long ways up there!! I cant imagine one being built out of wood. Seems like it would requite a ton of lumber! espically to hold 5 to 6 people. sounds cool though!! 8)
Shaun J

MReinemann

I would also look for a used fire tower.  Up here in New York there are still a few left that they used to use to spot fires.  Just climbed one yesterday as a matter of fact.  35' and solid at the top with no guy wires.
-Matt

fishpharmer

Search tree house tribe for ideas. Price is right. :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

clww

Don't forget to buy cable for your Zip Line once it is finished. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Jim_Rogers

If you do a goggle search for "fire tower plans" you find the Forest fire lookout association and there are lots of pictures of towers, but no plans.

Another site had a water tower but only 20' tall.

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/extension-aben/buildingplans/
Under miscellaneous is a free pdf download of a water tower with 8x8 legs.

Jim Rogers

PS. lots of free plans on this site.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jeff

40 feet up in a bucket truck is like being on top of the world.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DDDfarmer

this was a 60 foot lift at about 50-55 feet. If you took it right to 60 feet it had too much movement to take a pic.

Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Okrafarmer

One of the last wooden fire towers in Maine was the one in Dixmont. I remember climbing it when it was still operational 21 years ago, 1991. Shortly after Mrs. O and I were married, I took her over there and we hiked up to it, finding it abandoned and the observation shack either torn or blown off the top. We still climbed the old rickety structure and took some pictures from the deck. That was in 2003. I don't know if it's still standing or not. If I can find the pictures, I'll try to post.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

Only one I was up, was actually a shack on top of the highest peek in the Maritimes, on Mount Carleton. No need of going any higher. :D The ranger's camp was a few hundred yards down slope. They could drive to the camp. It was manned until the 60's. When you go in the bush today there are small planes and helicopters in the air all day. The planes might be Forest Protection Limited, which was at one time a crown corporation I beleive, now private since the 80's I think. They retired their last Avenger this year and took it to an aviation museum in Halifax. The pilot was asked if he was nervous flying the old plane. He said this plane is better maintained than your car. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

DDDFarmer, that picture made me feel quizzy in the tummy.   :o

Say when

DDDfarmer

at that height it wasnt bad..  right at the top if you twitched your nose it really moved around. :)
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

sandhills

I have a few windmills I climb that are at 30-40', you couldn't pay me to climb 100' up  :).  I'm scared of heights but I'll enjoy the pictures you get from up there  ;).
Sparky, if you ever got me on a grain leg I'd have to call you to come get me back down because I'd just plain lock up  :-\

Okrafarmer

SD, those Avengers are one tough cookie of an airplane. If properly maintained, they go on and on.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!