iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Long Weekend Project

Started by mikecpeck, September 20, 2012, 01:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikecpeck

The wife and I are well into a house build project, but last weekend required us to step away from that and work on something a little smaller.  We needed a building to house a pump system to feed water to our new house.  So, starting Friday morning, we changed the oil in the tractor and headed up to the trees and cut 2 doug-fir trees down and trailered them to the sawmill. 

We cut them in 8 or 10' lengths, pressured washed them and by Friday evening, we started sawing.

We only got through 3 logs that evening, but loaded some more up the following day.

We were after 2x6 material, but a couple of the logs were too good, so made some 2x8's.  We were at Home Depot the evening before (buying sheet goods) and looking at the lumber prices, and it was roughly $5 a stick.  Makes it easier to keep the wife motivated when $5 a stick comes off the mill.

By Mid-day Saturday, we had a stack.

Sunday, it was time for framing.  The walls were framed and sheeted whole, and lifted into the place with the tractor.  The roof was cut out in the shop, then assembled on top the structure... just a few compound cuts on this one.

By Monday, we had it framed, sheeted, and papered (didn't take a photo after the roof sheeting went on)

Now, we are thinking of making our own shingles out of a large lighting struck tamarack my father was going to burn for firewood, but that's for another post.  Love having our own mill... $5 a stick!  $5 a stick!

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF mike!  Your lumber and project turned out nice.  Another happy woodmizer sawmill owner.  What model WM have you got there, I am guessing an LT28?

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Very nice,    mikecpeck, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mikecpeck

Yup, that's an LT28.  Ordered a bone stock one, ended up with one with powerfeed and log handling package.  Wasn't ever quite sure how that happened, but I'm glad it did.

Quote from: fishpharmer on September 20, 2012, 01:55:45 PM
Welcome to FF mike!  Your lumber and project turned out nice.  Another happy woodmizer sawmill owner.  What model WM have you got there, I am guessing an LT28?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Nice work Mike. I'd say you were a good sawyer and GREAT carpenter!

You and your wife deserve a pat on the back.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mikecpeck

Much too kind.  I'm a software developer by day, and tinker with wood on the weekend.  Everything I know about housebuilding, sawing, or woodworking, I learned from Google (and you fine folks).

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 20, 2012, 03:09:55 PM
Nice work Mike. I'd say you were a good sawyer and GREAT carpenter!

You and your wife deserve a pat on the back.  smiley_thumbsup

Chuck White

Nice project there Mike!

Congrats on the sawmill.

That's some nice looking territory you've got there!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Leigh Family Farm

Thats a nice stack! Congrats on the project and convincing the wife that the mill is actually worth the money. Welcome!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Okrafarmer

Welcome to the Forum! Let's see-- Douglas Fir, tamarack. . . . where do you live? Let's see, British Columbia, maybe? Washington state?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. Very nice work.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Tree Feller

Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting the pump house built so well and so quickly. Yeah, at $5 a plank, it won't take long to pay for that fine sawmill, and then some.

That sure is a scenic location shown in your pics.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Peter Drouin

Good job, and a nice mill, welcome to the FF :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Burlkraft

Nice work!

Nuthin' like havin' a grapple bucket for the Kubota.

I thought forks were the way to go, until I got my grapple bucket.

Keep the pics comin'  8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

thecfarm

mikecpeck,welcome to the forum. Nice place you have there. I see some buildings on the edge of the field and a corner for a fence.Are you sawing lumber for the house too?I kept this about shingle making.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,42092.0.html
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mikecpeck

Thanks again everyone.  I am super fortunate to live in N. Idaho, and my wife and I are building on property that's been in our family for nearly 100 years.  We've been busy the past 2 years building the house, and probably 80% of the lumber we sawed using the woodmizer and trees from the property.  Hard to buy 2x10's, 20' long with quality like this!

Favorite framing photo (The day after the crane left to help lift the monster reclaimed beams into place)   

Mostly current status - Roof on, rough plumbing in, starting on electrical (and sawing for siding).

Quote from: thecfarm on September 21, 2012, 07:16:18 AM
mikecpeck,welcome to the forum. Nice place you have there. I see some buildings on the edge of the field and a corner for a fence.Are you sawing lumber for the house too?I kept this about shingle making.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,42092.0.html

And yes, having a grapple bucket on the tractor is the most amazing tool.  We got ours 2 weeks after the tractor, worth every penny!

Magicman

Whoa, as of today, that is also my favorite framing photo.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ScottAR

Those are great pics indeed...  What kinda device is that holding up the stack of sheet goods?  Looks very handy and I may have to have one.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

WDH

Your sticker stacks show that your care about your lumber and give it the proper respect that it deserves.  A lot of bad lumber comes from bad handling, stacking, and drying.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

hardtailjohn

Nice!! We're not too far from ya, in the NW corner of MT. Love those pics!!!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

drobertson

Mike, very nice indeed. No doubt about it, the wmz mills will cut to the number. You have a beautiful place.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WildDog

Great work all round, you and your wife must be a good team, congratulations to you both. :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

customdave

Yes very nice work, & welcome to the forum! Nice pics , play safe....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

mikecpeck

A bit more progress this weekend.  Here are the Tamarack logs being picked up and delivered to our mill.

Also installed 5 more windows.  I think that's the last of them. 

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Peder McElroy

Nice Job on the house!!! I use to live in Sandpoint ID years ago,nice area and I miss it.

John_Haylow

Welcome to the forum Mike. Nice work and nice pictures.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Leigh Family Farm

great progress. nice to keep the family homestead.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Thank You Sponsors!