iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Low impact forestry:Profiles from NB woodlot owner

Started by SwampDonkey, March 14, 2004, 01:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Just some perspectives from woodlot owners in New Brunswick. Some of these folks I know.

http://www.lowimpactforestry.com/inaction.htm

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Scott

Its a really interesting site. Unfortunatly they don't update it.

SwampDonkey

Scott:  

Unfortunately indeed. It was a brain child of Andrew Clark, David Coon, and Peter DeMarsh, and other members of the federation of woodlot owners, at the time talks were starting over the management of Crown Lands. They released a newspaper sized pamphlet at the time denouncing crown land management. I certainly don't agree with all their view points. I just thought it would be an interesting read to here from the woodlot owners up north. I'm sure these folk share the same phylosophies as some of our neighbors to the south. Although, there's a little self praise and (errm bull)  tucked between the lines of some of their profiles. Remember, I said I know some of these folk.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Frickman

Thanks for the link Swampdonkey. I might not agree with these folks on everything they do, but I agree with them more than many of the industrial foresters out there now. Too many times I see professional foresters, especially consulting and procurement, thinking only of short-term monetary gains, and neglecting the long-term health of the forest. The old "Cut out and get out" is alive and well. I try manage the forest for the long-term, especially timber values. Most of the time if we manage for timber value then we are also doing a good job for wildlife, growing trees like oak, hickory, and cherry.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

slowzuki

I know a fellow who is mentioned in one of the articles, I went to school with him (not forestry related)

He was telling me they got fined that summer for felling trees into a beaver pond and driving the skidder though.  So the woodlot owner put rocks on the road so the ranger couldn't access the worksite...

Other than that he said they operated the skidder quite carefully.
Ken

Thank You Sponsors!