iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a chair?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 18, 2012, 08:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

When building a chair, is there a rule of thumb what degree to lean back the back? I have sat in some chairs that have killed my back because they lean back a little to far and others are just right and others are too straight up.

I have plans to start putting some backs on some benches.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Okrafarmer

Why don't you go measure some that are "Just right"?
;)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 18, 2012, 09:15:02 PM
Why don't you go measure some that are "Just right"?
;)

Because there at the Doctors office. ;D

I don't have something to measure degrees.

WDH

Glops and slops don't work when one is measuring degrees. 

Chairs are scary.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on September 18, 2012, 09:21:03 PM
Glops and slops don't work when one is measuring degrees. 

Chairs are scary.
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dr's degrees are usually displayed on the wall.

Poston, take your tape measure and a level next time you go to the Dr.'s office. Measure how tall the back is off the seat, then how far the top of the back is from the back of the seat.

If anyone asks what you're doing, just tell them.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Mooseherder

Is this chair for sitting in or talking to? ;D

WDH

He will be scary too, and no one will ask a thing  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tree Feller

The backs on the Hal Taylor rocking chairs I build are at 7 degrees from vertical. Dining chairs will be closer to 4 degrees.

Seat size and height from the floor along with the back angle all determine how comfortable the chair will be but for your benches, I would start at around 5-7 degrees angle since they are for casual seating.

The best way would be to build a mock-up and decide what is comfortable to you, realizing that someone else with a different body size may not find it so.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Tree Feller

With a sliding T-Bevel you can take the angle right off of a chair that is comfortable. You don't have to know the degrees, just have an angle measurement.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thanks TREE FELLER.....I got more from your reply than the rest.

I hate it when others try to write funny stuff in thread.  :D

WDH

It has been known to happen before, a time or two.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 18, 2012, 09:49:14 PM
Thanks TREE FELLER.....I got more from your reply than the rest.

I hate it when others try to write funny stuff in thread.  :D

>:( I wasn't trying to be funny!
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Tree Feller

I thought Okra's comment about Dr.'s degrees being on the wall was spot on.   :D
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

submarinesailor

At least this topic didn't go to FOOD. :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

BRuce

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: submarinesailor on September 19, 2012, 07:13:22 AM
At least this topic didn't go to FOOD. :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

BRuce

Ya'll kiss my GRITS!  :D

submarinesailor

Ok Flo........anything you say.

clww

If you can't measure the "lean" or "degree" of lean, here's what I'd do. Take a 4 foot level and hold it plumb on the top of the back. Mark the point on the floor, and measure the distance from that to the leg of the chair. Most high-backed, "tall-boy" chairs I've done, have been between 3 and 7 degrees of rake.
Moving up from benches? ???
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I ain't say'n right now.  ;D

hackberry jake

Chairs scare me, so many parts. I did build some adirondack chairs once that came out great, but I got the plans off of lowes website. I never woulda thought a wooden chair could be that comfortable.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Lud

Pretty nice chairs, Jake.  You got the seats right.  As far as the back goes, there's a school of thought that rather than a flat back, you put a shallow radius on the board that goes arm-to-arm, creating a curved back.  That back, while usually straight can be fanned too.

You got the arms flat also, which is traditional.  I'm fond of a circular, can-sized shallow recess out at the end.  This minor and still subtle addition has proved beneficial many times when a beverage is involved. ;) ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

SwampDonkey

A protractor placed on the seat to measure the rise from horizontal to vertical  might get you an answer.  ;D

BTW, I have an old rocker to restore. An arm and the spokes in the arm. If I had some veneer I'd redo the seat with steamed maple, but that stuff is pricy and the chair ain't worth it. A pizza box full of veneers is about $65 by the time it gets here. No guarantee of the species, it's a mixture. Kind of an A hole way to sell it...but...;)

See a couple tears in the veneer seat there.

She's an old girl. Dad's cousin is 84 and it was his grandmother's. Which means it could have been my great grandmother's, he wasn't sure. Everything about the right arm is pretty much broken. Even the main spoke in front was missing one time and someone tried to make a make shift one. I can turn that to match the other side.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Mooseherder on September 18, 2012, 09:32:38 PM

You didn't build that, someone else built that chair.......

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on September 21, 2012, 02:23:13 PM
Quote from: Mooseherder on September 18, 2012, 09:32:38 PM

You didn't build that, someone else built that chair.......

This chair was made for talkin, and that's what it will do. . . .

Thank You Sponsors!