iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thanks Tom... (I think)

Started by Nomad, September 17, 2012, 09:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Please bear with me here; I'm a bit bemused.  This may be long, rambling and disjointed.  Ever noticed how things seem to work in a circle?  First, let me say that Tom Cadenhead was my friend.
     A few months ago I ran across a tree service guy with a load of logs on a trailer.  I wasn't doing anything, so I turned around and stopped.  Asked him his plans for the logs.  He was just disposing of them.  I told him what I do and said if anyone he does a job for needs my service, let me know.
     Couple of months ago, he stopped by and said he knows somebody who wants some logs sawed, but they were palms.  I've never cut palms myself, but I remember Tom talking about them and saying to avoid them like the plague.
     Said I wasn't interested.  He said I might want to reconsider; this fella could afford it and really liked the wood.  Well...  I'll talk with him.
     A couple of days ago the guy called me and said he was out of town, but would like to talk with me about cutting a bunch of palm and a few cedar logs.  He'd be back in his office today.
     Went to his business today.  He showed me what he had, and a bunch of pics of what he had sawed before and what he did with it.  Stressed that he knew what a PITA sawing palm was, and he'd cover expenses for the blades.
     He had a couple of palm boards still sitting on a shelf in his shop.  4/4, 8" wide, and 8' long.  Straight as an arrow, light as a feather, and still had sawdust on 'em.  He said they'd been there for about 10 years.
     I asked him who cut them for him?  He said he didn't remember the fella's name, but he'd cut several different kinds of wood on the same trip.  Said he was an older gent, and a real likeable guy.
     Not a whole lot of sawyers around here; was his name maybe "Tom?"  Yup, and had something like "head" in it.  Tom Cadenhead?  Yes!
     I said so you're the guy Tom was cussin about with the palm logs!  This guy laughed and said he supposed so.
     I'll cut his palms, like it or not.  I think I'm walking in some pretty good footsteps.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

fishpharmer

Nomad, thanks so much for sharing that story.  Even if it made my eyes a little misty.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thecfarm

Said he was an older gent, and a real likeable guy.
That sounds just like Tom.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ga Mtn Man

Tom was gone before I joined the forum.  Wish I had know him.  I've read quite a few of his posts and have found a wealth of knowledge there.  Anyone new to sawing would do well to search out his posts. :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

Tom and Bro Noble are ginnin' down.  Sharing the story.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Holmes

Nomad thank you for the really nice story.  I made a trip to meet Tom in 2010 and spent a couple of hours talking with him. It was one of the best days of my life... :)
Think like a farmer.

Okrafarmer

Ask him if you can have some of that sawdust from the old boards.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

pineywoods

Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on September 17, 2012, 09:24:37 PM
Tom was gone before I joined the forum.  Wish I had know him.  I've read quite a few of his posts and have found a wealth of knowledge there.  Anyone new to sawing would do well to search out his posts. :)
Amen to that
If you click on Tom's name, it will take you to his profile. In there is a link to his web site. Lots of good reading, all classic Tom...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fat olde elf

Thanks for that great story.  I met Tom at the the Pig Roast. That started several years of personal messages and phone chats. I was always inspired by Tom and his knowledge.  I miss him.  Say your prayers
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

WmFritz

I found  the FF while trying to get a little smarter on sawing earlier this year.  For some reason, I decided to start at the last page of  Sawmills and Milling, and work my way back to present day. I guess I was thinking if I started where the forum began, I could learn along the way with some of you.

I quickly noticed that Tom was very well written. He was witty and funny but, most of all, he had a real talent for turning thoughts into words. And  he was so knowledgeable and helpful. I loved reading threads he started and glad to find the ones that he posted in.

Then, I guess I was a couple hundred pages in, and I noticed in memoriam (sp?) under his name.  When I realized what it meant, I didn't come back for a couple days. I found it odd that I was grieving for a man I'd never met.  Eventually, I came back and later on I joined. I still enjoy reading all his posts.

He truely was a very special person and I envy you folks that knew him personally.
Thanks for the story Nomad.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Chuck White

Thanks for the heartwarming story Nomad.

I never met Mr Tom personally, but we have conversed here on the Forum and through PM's.  His posts are worth a reread!

WmFritz; I did the same thing as you have done, started at the oldest page and worked my way to the front page.

Lots of good reading there.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Nomad,

You are walking in some mighty big shoes.  Weekend_Sawyer and I were talking about Tom today.  I miss him.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Leigh Family Farm

Even after he is gone, Tom is still teaching us: good, honest work is always remembered and the person responsible is never forgotten by good, honest people.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!