iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

c4 transmission options

Started by c_silva88, September 25, 2012, 10:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c_silva88

so i was skidding today and on the fourth hitch the transmission in my c4 started making a clanking noise. so me and a friend pulled it and pulled the top cover off to find the gear oil had some how gotten water in it and cooked the bearings. now ive heard a ford truck transmission will interchange but im not sure if this is true. the skidder had a ford gas engine in it.
MS660
MS290

pigpen

Besides its a ford engine, do you know  what ford engine it has? what tranny does it have as far as speeds or model #? and do you have a high low range on the skidder that is behind the tranny?

c_silva88

it has the 192 i believe it has a hi/low and a forward and reverse on the transfercase
the current transmission has 3 speeds
MS660
MS290

pigpen

so its similar to my C5 then only mine is a 4 speed, recently was working on mine and it sure looks similar to a truck transmission to me, but I'd guess the 3 speed isn't going to be as easy to find, If you can get a model # off of the tranny that would help. Otherwise Davco Equipment in maine sure seems to know a LOT! 207-778-9060 is the number. If you can get lumberjack48's attention, he also seems to know a lot about the tree farmers. Maybe you can stuff a 4 speed in it?  8)  Good luck!

UN Hooker

c_silva88
   The water is getting in at the base of the stick, you need a "umbrella".
        UN

Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

c_silva88

well may have finally got a brake my friend has a jacobson tractor with an almost identical tranny only difference is it has reverse in it but it should bolt in non the less same motor and bell housing as my skidder
MS660
MS290

John Woodworth

Those transmissions came off the early Ford Flathead engines, three speed 1/2 ton, four speed 3/4 ton. I have one to put in my G10 some day out of a 1.5 1953 vintage Ford thats full syncro and all I,ll have to do is modify the rear mount so you do have some options but they all revolve arount the flathead transmissions.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

ga jones

If its only bearings just rebuild it. Davco can tell you the model just by your discription.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

c_silva88

Quote from: John Woodworth on September 26, 2012, 02:43:17 PM
Those transmissions came off the early Ford Flathead engines, three speed 1/2 ton, four speed 3/4 ton. I have one to put in my G10 some day out of a 1.5 1953 vintage Ford thats full syncro and all I,ll have to do is modify the rear mount so you do have some options but they all revolve amount the flathead transmissions.
spoke to soon the transmission is about 2 inches too wide and 3 inches too short.  the issue withe the width is that the clutch rod is hitting the side of the transmission and not letting the clutch engage. that was simple enough out came the torch and the welder so that'll be done tonight. the drive shaft can be lengthen and is at a shop even though im not happy with the quote for the price but i dont have a piece of tube to lengthen it let alone the time so hopefully the skidder will be back in the woods tomorrow evening pulling some veneer logs i laid down this afternoon
MS660
MS290

Thank You Sponsors!