Previous topic - Next topic

medic55

Last fall I cut down several small trees to gain access to the back of
some acreage I own.  Now I have hundreds of sprouts.  Most of the
trees cut were oak and hickory, I was wondering what would be
the most effective herbicide to get rid of all these sprouts...Thanks for
any info.

John Mc

I've used glyphosate (Roundup) in a foliar spray for sprouts with decent results. Just apply in the manner and concentration recommended on the label... it doesn't take a very high concentration for foliar spray.

There may be other things out there that are more powerful, but his seems to work, and is commonly available. (In fact, here in Vermont, it's about the only thing a landowner can by without a license.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

I use Big and Tuff at tractor supply. I buy it by the 2½ gallon jug for $40. Mixes the same way as Round Up,but ALOT cheaper to use. But this will kill everything and leave the ground barren for about 2 years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bama20a

Quote from: thecfarm on September 16, 2012, 10:12:10 PM
I use Big and Tuff at tractor supply. I buy it by the 2½ gallon jug for $40. Mixes the same way as Round Up,but ALOT cheaper to use. But this will kill everything and leave the ground barren for about 2 years.
will it kill Pevey Hedge (spelling)?  Was thinking of asking the same ? as Medic- But havn't got around to it. The hedges are taking over on my place & some is as big around as your arm.
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

thurlow

There are some much better brush killers out there than Glyphosate;  I'd suggest something like Remedy or one of the other chemicals developed for the purpose.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

SwampDonkey

Glyphosate probably won't kill anything shade tolerant, just set it back. I know it's not much good on sugar maple or beech. The leaves next year will all be deformed, but still alive, and later years it just gets it's strength back.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Claybraker

Triclopyr is probably the safest and most effective. Lawn and Garden stores will have it with names like "Brush Killer" or you can get the grown up versions Remedy/Garlon 3/4 or generic.

There's a pretty handy flow chart here, and some good information of what target vegetation is susceptible or resistent to which herbicide.

http://www.clemson.edu/extfor/herbicide%20prescription%20manual/herbicidemanual.htm

WDH

I am with Claybraker.  Remedy (the generic of Garlon) is about the safest and most effective.  You can mix 25% remedy and 75% diesel fuel and spray the bark at the base of the sprouts and this will do the job.  If you use a backpack sprayer, the basal spray is easy to apply, easier than trying to spray all the leaves, plus you can apply the basal treatment year round.  Google Remedy herbicide and read the label for directions on the basal treatment.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Claybraker

Quote from: bama20a on September 16, 2012, 10:37:46 PM

will it kill Pevey Hedge (spelling)?  Was thinking of asking the same ? as Medic- But havn't got around to it. The hedges are taking over on my place & some is as big around as your arm.

Privet Hedge maybe? Chinese privet? Last place I owned was covered up in the stuff. We sold the property. A little extreme, but we got rid of it.

Maybe somebody else has a more practical solution.

thecfarm

That Remedy looks kinda pricey,but if it works better it's worth it. I just mostly use it to keep the poison ivy under control here. I am trying to keep it out of the lower end of the field. A lot of small bushes are being killed too. Nothing real bad for invasions stuff that I am using it on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ely

wdh is correct on the basal treatment, the diesel mix just seems to get all over everything.

if you know you are going to cut trees and you do not want them back, its hard to beat the glophosphate mix in a 50% solution, we just spray it on the cut stump pretty quick.

John Mc

Seeing all these recommendations makes me wish I had more options here in VT (short of getting a pesticide applicator's license).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SwampDonkey

I'm not even sure environment NB would allow diesel in the mix to be sprayed up here either. I know they get real excited if even oil spills on a yard. Everyone is suppose to carry spill kits for such events. But then again, farmers will hose down piles of wood and stumps with diesel to burn it when land clearing. Farming and forestry have their own rules, nothing consistent most of the time.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Claybraker

Quote from: thecfarm on September 17, 2012, 08:38:49 AM
That Remedy looks kinda pricey,but if it works better it's worth it. I just mostly use it to keep the poison ivy under control here. I am trying to keep it out of the lower end of the field. A lot of small bushes are being killed too. Nothing real bad for invasions stuff that I am using it on.

I'm far from an expert, but cost effectiveness is one of the criteria I use in selecting a herbicide. The OP had some Hickory sprouts, and a foliar glyphosate won't phase them, but triclopyr will put a severe hurting on them. If glyphosate is working for your poision ivy ain't no reason to change.

Claybraker

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 17, 2012, 10:45:14 AM
I'm not even sure environment NB would allow diesel in the mix to be sprayed up here either. I know they get real excited if even oil spills on a yard. Everyone is suppose to carry spill kits for such events. But then again, farmers will hose down piles of wood and stumps with diesel to burn it when land clearing. Farming and forestry have their own rules, nothing consistent most of the time.

Instead of diesel, vegetable oil with a penetrant/surfactant works pretty good.

My favorite home recipe:
1 gallon Canola oil
1 qt Remedy
12 oz. Cide-Kick II
1 oz. Basoil dye

Mix all ingredients well, serve on dry bark at a temperature of 32 to 85 degrees F.

WDH

The diesel formulation is specified on the Remedy Label, so it is legal.  Always follow the Label instructions, and you are good.  If you are only dealing with poison ivy, Round-up is very good.  When you get to hickory, ash, maple, and sweetgum, Garlon (Remedy) is King.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

medic55

Thanks for all the responses.  Now I will have to figure which
product I will be using Friday...Thanks again

tpyounome

We have used a product called "Spike" in the past to control woody plants in pastures.  You can get it in granular form and just put some near the base of the treee/bush.  It is worked into the root system by rain.  Once it gets in, the tree will never grow again.

Wudman

Another good product for hardwood (foliar) control is imazypyr (Arsenal is one "name" brand).  It does have some soil activity so don't over apply.  We tank mix it with glyphosate for the majority of our aerial site prep applications.  Hickory falls into the difficult to control category so you need a hotter tank mix to get it.  If treating a stump sprout with a foliar herbicide, you need to be sure that there is adequate leaf area to translocate the chemical.  There is a lot of stored energy in the root system.  If there is not sufficient leaf area, you'll end up top killing the sprout (or stunting it) and the root will put out another shoot.  There are a number of species that are resistant to imazypyr.  Cherry and elm are two that I encounter reqularly.  It is also ineffective on legumes (redbud) and does a wonderful job of releasing blackberry.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Claybraker

Quote from: tpyounome on September 19, 2012, 09:19:29 PM
We have used a product called "Spike" in the past to control woody plants in pastures.  You can get it in granular form and just put some near the base of the treee/bush.  It is worked into the root system by rain.  Once it gets in, the tree will never grow again.

Spike is very effective, but you can get in a lot of trouble if you aren't careful. Ask Harvey Updyke.

Before any Auburn fans get upset, here's his his latest mugshot.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8422123/harvey-updyke-alleged-auburn-tree-poisoner-arrested-terrorizing-charges

If he had done that on the North Campus at UGA, we would already have him drawn, quartered and hanging from the arch.

WDH

That is about as bad as poisoning a dog. 

Thank You Sponsors!