iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New EZ Boardwalk Sawmill lot to learn

Started by EZland, September 16, 2012, 06:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZland

Well I have my new home and have already learned alot.  I cut up about 112 bf of poplar to learn the ropes.  Made some mistakes yesteday.  learned how you mess up your cants. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

mikeb1079

100 bf you say?  they'll be plenty more mistakes to come! 

but don't sweat it that's part of the fun.   8)  if you were a pro from the start it'd be pretty boring!   ;D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

EZland

I read post about cant coming unsquare and looking all jacked up.  Thing I learn is that when you clamp you have to make sure your cant does not lift up.  It does snot matter how level you are if it lifts up it is not going to be square.  this is not issue for plain sawn boards, because you are going to put them in a joiner anyway.    Still much more to learn. 

Ed
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

EZland

112 bf of poplar on a Sunday no less.   It was  time ot sort out speed of cutting, how to get the logs on the mill , keep it level, and cut.  Make the cut I want .   did not realize how hard it was to read that scale. 

thecfarm

I see you had a chainsaw mill. Hope you like the bandsaw better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Leigh Family Farm

Congrats on getting the new mill. Post some pics because reading words hurts my brain...
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

paul case

Oh it will get easier  to read and before long you will be sawing and figuring in your head what the next cut will be and you can get to where you can stop it at the right spot just lickety split. Sawing speed will vary with width of cut and hardness of log but you can listen to the motor and dont slow it down much and you will do just fine. I would highly recomend to set the mill bed up about knee high. this will make it much easier on your back clamping and turning, unloading boards and edging.  I also found  on the ez mdl 40 i had, a hydraulic bottle jack worked real well for adjusting a tapered log. Just make sure that the log cannot turn when you are jacking one end up.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

hackberry jake

You hav yourself a heck of a mill. The second opening cut is the most important. Make sure it's flat against your backstop and you will have square beams every time. I love mine.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

EZland

Huge jump in production from the Chainsaw mill.  Those mill have there place, but when you can cut in 30 minutes on a band mill what you would cut all day on a CSM.  I like it. 

Thanks for bottle jack idea, great tip. 

As for height of the mill.  I like the idea of ease of off loading and log rolling, but not quite set up that way yet.   

Have a question on blade tracking?  I read the instructions, but not sure how to keep the blade from sliding back on the "leading" wheel.   Is my band not tight enough?  The teeth are still in front of the wheel and cuttig fine.  It just makes me nervious that it rides that far back.  It settles in and stays there. 

WDH

Hello EZland.  I have a cousin that owns property in Harris and Troup Counties that I am helping her manage.  There are some nice logs in that area!

Congrats on the mill.  You will get the hang of it soon.  Keeping the cants square is good, as you know.  Also, to the extent possible, center the pith in the middle boards.  Keep us posted as you get comfortable with the mill.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ladylake

Quote from: hackberry jake on September 17, 2012, 01:29:45 AM
You hav yourself a heck of a mill. The second opening cut is the most important. Make sure it's flat against your backstop and you will have square beams every time. I love mine.

If your logs aren't huge turning 180 on the 2nd cut works a lot better as the log will balance better  on the 3rd cut.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

paul case

The blade should ride about even with the back of the band wheels. That should have it about 1/8'' ahead of the flange on the guide wheels. It may run against the flange when in the cut.
The tightener should be like this.

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

EZland

Paul,
the back of my mill looks the same.  Not sure what you are showing me about the blade tracking.  I think I have it tight enough, but blade rides back some after a minute or two.   

Also what do you GUYs use for blade lube?  the manual said bar oil and desiel?  I have heard of using water and dish soap.  I have been using that with no issues.  I would see the benifits of a oil product in the cold. 

WDH, if you do not mind who is your cousin?  I live in the Valley, on one of those "lettered"  roads. 

WDH

EZ,

I will send you a PM.  When I get back over that way, and it will be soon as we are selling some timber, I will let you know so that I can buy you lunch in Pine Mountain.  It will be good to meet another sawyer.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 17, 2012, 06:07:21 PM
EZ,

I will send you a PM.  When I get back over that way, and it will be soon as we are selling some timber, I will let you know so that I can buy you lunch in Pine Mountain.  It will be good to meet another sawyer.

Do you ever go to S.C. and buy lunch?  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hackberry jake

I think you guys should come out to nwa and buy lunch for me and Larry and calebL and Ozarkian and a few others. I'd be happy with fried spam an grits  8)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

schakey

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 17, 2012, 06:23:20 PM
Quote from: WDH on September 17, 2012, 06:16:39 PM
Yes!  Soon!  What would you like?

GRITS.......RIBEYE!
Add hash browns and eggs for one heck of a good meal! musteat_1
Have a great time with your new mill EZland.
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

EZland

I have been reading these forums for a while now and they always turn to FOOD.  Sawdust must make you hungry.  WDH I will take you up on that!    Aspen Grill? 

EZland

Quote from: paul case on September 17, 2012, 09:01:42 AM
The blade should ride about even with the back of the band wheels. That should have it about 1/8'' ahead of the flange on the guide wheels. It may run against the flange when in the cut.
The tightener should be like this.

PC

Gents I am still having trouble with my blade tracking too far back on the "right" side (the side shown above).  I am not sure what to adjust?  I was sawning tonight and I could hear rubbing the blade guide.  What do I adjust? 

paul case

First things first.

Before yoiu go adjusting anything, put another good sharp blade on and see if It makes a difference. Many times a dull blade will cause things to happen that make us break out the tools. Swap it out and see what happens.
Then try something else.
Does the blade run the gullets onto the v belt. If they are that is too far back. I would try tightening the tension up to the tighter mark and try again. If it still is too far back then there are adjustments that you can make to remedy this. Edward at EZ boardwalk can walk you through it over the phone much easier than anyone.

I would much rather work with my tools than work on  them. I never had any alignment issues with the ex boardwalk I had so I would be surprised if you do.
Good luck. PC
pc

thecfarm

Just like paul said,new blade,don't work call Edward. It's brand new,so it should saw like a brand new one.  :(  If you do adjust anything,later on in years,do only one at a time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

EZland

Thanks Gents!  I have heard the drill loud and clear, try an other blade and if that does ot work call Edward.   

EZland

I figured out the blade tracking!   I watched a video from Woodland mills.  The parts of that mill where not the same, but the concepts were and I have it all sorted out.  It was almost more excitng than the wood I cut! 

I am sure you guys already know how or your manuals are alot better.  I would have called Edward, but I needed a visual. 

thecfarm

You are learning all ready. My mill is a Thomas,it's a VERY simple mill to run and not much can go wrong with it. Not many moving parts.

xulgiy

So what did you end up doing?  I have the same mill and my blade rubs the flange as well.  Great mill though!

EZland

xulgiy Serious, watch the Woodland mills video on tracking, here is the link.  http://www.woodlandmills.ca/pages/sawmill-how-to-videos

The concept is the same, but the screw is different.  ok from memory....

Step one. 
Tighten your blade to full tension. 

Step two. Then back it off to half. 

Step three. Side the blade guides out of the way. You will have to loosen some bolts and tighten them to hold it out of the way.  As long as ithey are not touching the blade you are good. 

Step Four. locate the black nuts behind the left wheel.  I am assuming it is the left wheel as you are looking at the front of the mill.  If you are reading "EZ Boardwalk" the wheel should be your left. 

Step five.  you either have to rotate the 15/16 nuts in or out to correct the problem.  Try a half turn  then hand turn the band wheel.  keep turning a half turn until it over corrects and then come back some.  A post above has a photo of the nuts.  I will try and look see what post.  Hope that makes sense. 

I really had to what that video to understand it.  the nuts were different,but some concept.  My mill runs like a champ now. 

EZland

Hey, Paul Case has a great picture of the nuts.  look on page one. 

Thank You Sponsors!