iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Varteg Circular Sawmill

Started by Meadows Miller, September 15, 2012, 04:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meadows Miller

Gday

This was the latest mill to arrive in the McMahon stable its also My 10th Sawmill I have had since I started back  in 93 as I could not pass up on it at what Peter wanted for it its brand new basicly as it was only used for demos and one of Varteg Sawmills last to come to Australia in the late 90s Varteg was built in NZ from the late 70s to the late 90s and built robust simple mills that just worked n worked I use to saw on one when I was younger use to just sharpen and saw all day without a drama in the world and get about 2500 bft plus a day out  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

thecfarm

What's the plan for this one? Where's the power unit?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dgdrls

You know, between you, your postings and the folks at Mahoe, I cant stop thinking about circle mills even though I own a band :D

DGDrls

Meadows Miller

Gday

Power Unit will be of the Chamberlain pto for a start as its all set up for that now then Ill put it onto 3ph electric motor  Mate ;) ;D ;D

DD Ill swing you over to our side of the fence Mate  ;)  :D ;D even though I sit on it sometimes Myself :) ;) :D :D ;D

I put this into its own thread as Ill be tidying it up and ill also post a vid here on it in time so you can see how they run  ;)

Regards Chris

Meadows Miller

Btw It will run upto a 52" saw  ;) ;D ;D

Okrafarmer

Those old Chamberlains, just keep chugging along. ;D I'm sure it will power it just fine. ;) Does this sawmill offer any advantages over your other circle mill(s)?  ???
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Trade secerets  ;) :D ;D Nah These ones are just a good mill for sawing smaller logs and coupled with the Bench are great for sawing stuff with alot of tension in it in longer lengths as you where dicussing on the other thread about sawing logs with stress in them  ;) you can saw around corners but the timber still comes out strait Mate   ;)

and the price was rite too these things where going for about $19500 back when this one was sold and I could still get near that for it now when its tidyed up it cam with a near new 48" saw too  ;)

sparky

Chris,

Your new mill seems to be very well built. My brother bought a portable some time back, but it is not nearly as nice as yours. His came with a Detroit 3-71 diesel. I am looking forward to hearing more about it as it becomes operational. Incidentally, the antique, vertical, band mill that we toured a year ago is nearly ready to run. The only action item is getting the steam powered carriage restored.

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

bandmiller2

Chris,is that a table/bench type saw common in your neighborhood or does it have a carriage and setworks.??Rugged looking, trussed up and ridgid,like that top blade guard. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

amberwood

Chris. I know a rock another one of these mills is hiding under. same but shorter, the 12' version. 42"saw, will run off a 40hp massey. basic setworks and built in sawdust blower. I had / have a deposit on it, but had the sawmill site permit was binned 5 days later. Perfect pine sleeper saw.
DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Meadows Miller

Will its going to be a good simple little mill Mate still wonder why I brought yet another one the thinkin was I could always sell it but you know me mate  ;) :D :D ;D I take it they only have to get the shotgun feed working on that mill now  :) That would be an interesting mill to see running might have to take another trip to MN one day Mate  ;) ;D ;D

Frank It is one of those the setworks is the Pin Gauge on the r/h side in the pics you line the back end up on marks on the table on lighter cants you will slide the front upto the gauge as you start feeding and line the back end up before it Hits the Saw one fluid motion and keep it in contact with the gauge  Mate  ;) ;D Top guard goes up n down to suit the saw dia used but they generally dont move all that often Mate  ;) :D

Duncan they did afew different models from what I know too mate  :) yours was most likley a cant or Pallet Mill the bigger one was called the Contractor Special it will cut upto 6m (20') they are a dang good mill for sleepers and Varteg rated them for upto 10 to12m3 (4250 to 5100bft) sawn per day with a good Sawyer and Tailerout in Pine and my thinking would be that it was all larger sections in 2x too Mate  ;) You should still get that one if you want to  ;) but its pitty about the site you had to that  sucks  Mate :(

Thompsons one with the Bench behind it was the one I use to run up on Chum Creek rd did that for 4 months run down from Alex every morning saw for 6 to 8hrs there then drive the hr home n back upto Goulds to run the night shift on the edger or grading untill I started running the Kiln drying operation and yards for Goulds Thompsons said they use to get out 20m3 per shift when tey where double shifting theirs  :) :) I was happy to get a Cube m3 or 425bft an hr out in Sleepers working on my own but they where good size logs and Arron would finnish up the recovery over the bench at the end of the day with me  ;)

Regards Chris

Meadows Miller

Ill say one thing I am still tempted to keep this mill as a Portable or Relocatable Sawmill and use the Meadows as the static one  ;)

Meadows Miller

Gday

Update I dragged it the 161 miles home with My trusty 74 Dseries Ford this week it tows like a dream at 50odd mph even though its about 40' long  ;)

and the fun starts tomorrow a Good Clean up getting fitted with an 8" blower system and its own Hyd pump n tank plus a fresh coat of jam and the 44" insert saw which will give it a 19" depth of cut  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris

dgdrls

It didn't happen unless there are photos ;)

Best
DGDrls

Meadows Miller

Quote from: dgdrls on October 05, 2012, 05:07:58 PM
It didn't happen unless there are photos ;)

Best
DGDrls

:D :D :D :D  I know the rules but I am hopeless at following them sometimes as I just get stuck in to it  Mate  ;) :D  ;D 8) 8)

After a discussion with Dad yesterday Its not getting painted or much done to it all atm Just pressed into service did some greasing yesterday aand we will just run it with a dust drag which and clip the Hyd into the chamberlain it is already set up for that now just have to get some paddle chain and go over the chaimberlain should be sawing by wed Ill get some pics over the next few days  ;)

Regards Chris

Meadows Miller

Gday

More Pics as requested  ;) and 15-20min setup time for a Circular Mill  :o :) ;) and I could shave abit off that too ;) these mills where setup with a pair of ramps and you could mount a winch for loading logs onto it from the ground too but why do that when you have a tractor with loader or two  ;)  ;D

Step #1 tow mill into position 

Step #2 Unhook Mill 

Step #3 Remove wheels and drop onto 4x4s on the ground and shes basicly ready to rumble  ;) ;D ;D smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup  helps if you pick a nice reasonably level spot too

48" springsett goes in tomorrow and we will be sawing lumber as today I had to make up some ironbark guide pins to go in it and Dad and I where doing afew other things with his business  ;) ;D  ;D

I forgot to say Yes Frank these and similar mills where about where about the only way small sawmillers milled timber here in Australia,New Zealand and across the Pacific Islands untill about 40 or 50 years ago Mate thats why that Meadows I have of My familys was the First in Australia and we had quite a stream of other sawmillers come to look at The American Mill running that where quite impressed by the Meadows Mate  ;) ;D ;D

Regards Chris

Thank You Sponsors!