iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for a barn contractor in NE Wisconsin

Started by Brenda, July 26, 2013, 04:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brenda

We have a nice old bank barn with a stone foundation. We want it to remain an asset to the property rather than become a liability. The inner wall on the bank side has split away and leans in (alarmingly in spots). I can't seem to find anyone who knows how to deal with this repair. Any suggestions within range of Antigo?

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Any pics of the bank barn that you can post?

Do a search on the forum for "bank barn" and there will be a few threads pop up that may be of interest.

One added to just recently is
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,60159.msg1017154.html#msg1017154

Maybe a place to start.
Admirable that you want to save the barn. What condition is the roof, and has it been leak free?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rooster

Here is a link to the "Contractor List" published by the UW-Extension office.

http://lgc.uwex.edu/barns/pdf/Contractors7-08.pdf

Let me know if you need any help finding someone to work on your project.

Peace,

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Brenda

I have pictures of my beautiful barn and the "problem area" but can't seem to post them here.
We have had rods installed to tighten and secure the hips. We lined the ends with plywood inside. We installed rain gutter on the uphill side (which should have been done decades ago.) We have had several people look at the wall and the consensus seems to be some version of pouring  a wedge-shaped concrete buttress wall next to the leaning wall to hold it. We have been cautioned not to try to take it down, or all sorts of mayhem and chaos, including death and destruction, might occur.  The last 2 guys who looked at are supposedly going to get back to us. 

beenthere

Pics are easy to post if you have them on your computer in .jpg format.

Go to the "Behind The Forum" forum on the Home page and the first thread is a good primer to help you set up your own gallery (under your profile) and how to use the blue hi-lighted bar under the posting window that says "Click here to add Photos to post"
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brenda

My computer refuses to acquire Adobe Flash blah blah... which is apparently necessary to put photos in a gallery... ? Maybe if I emailed them to you, you could post them.

Jim_Rogers

Brenda:
You can email them to me and I'll post them for you. Jrsawmill (at) verizon (dot) net.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

tyb525

There was a guy on the forum that knew a lot about barn repair, he seems to have gone missing though...
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Brenda

We finally arrived at a solution and someone to accomplish it! That wall is going nowhere. Final concrete gets poured this week. Pictures to follow later.

beenthere

QuoteThat wall is going nowhere.

Not sure how to interpret that, but assume you are saying that someone has decided that the wall in the pic posted is going to stay just as it is shown.

Pouring a backup wall of concrete behind it, maybe?

Good to hear back about your endeavor. And look forward to pics (must have managed to get the flash software fixed up).
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!