iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Microwave corn

Started by Nomad, September 12, 2012, 05:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

This is something I saw online today.  Since I just picked up a few ears of fresh corn, I thought I'd give it a try.
    Ever try microwaving an ear of corn?  Pretty interesting.
    Put the corn in the 'nuke a couple three ears at a time.  Husks and all; don't bother shucking it and trying to take the silk off.  Nuke it.  Take it out and cut the ear off about a quarter inch or so above the bottom of the cob.  Then grab it by the top end and squeeze.  Just like squeezing out an over ripe banana, the ear just slides out.  No silk on it at all; just as clean as you could  ask.  Cooked and ready to eat.
    I'm still working on how  long to nuke it.  The video I saw said 8 minutes for 2 ears.  Different microwaves will vary; I tried that with mine and it's way too much.  Next batch I tried about 7 1/2 minutes for 3 ears.  Still too much.  Next time I get some fresh corn I'm gonna try about 2 minutes per ear and see if that's enough to cook the corn and still let it slide out of the silk.
    Great flavor, no work, and quick!  Give it a shot.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Burlkraft

Both Jeff and Beenthere have told they liked microwave corn. I'll have to give it a try....next year  :-\
Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WildDog

We like to cook fresh corn in the microwave, don't shuck just wrap it in gladwrap (not sure what you guys call it) 3 minutes on high fro a couple of cobs, can't beat it. :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

chevytaHOE5674

Cook it in the Microwave when we are in a hurry to eat. But I much prefer it cooked on the grill, gives it a better flavor.

DanG

I'll have to try that at next opportunity!  One question though, does the worm get done, or do you have to recook him?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dodgy Loner

I've tried it but I prefer grilled or boiled sweet corn. I'll eat it just about any way you can fix it, though :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Handymark

We do the same except on the grill. Though I usually soak the husks in some water first. You are pretty much just steaming it in the husk. No need for any wrap. The less plastic around cooking food the better.

ashes

Tried it tonight. ;D

I couldn't resist, but normally I just shuck and boil my corn. Today I tried this method.

4 minutes for two ears of corn in husk. cut bottom 1.5" off corn, squeeze out ear like ripe banana.
Turned out perfect. I'm sure that microwaves vary, but that should get you in the ballpark for non over done corn.

Very good!!!and easy!!

Nomad

Yup, I like it better than boiled but not as much as grilled.  A lot faster than the grill though. 
     DanG, you ought to know that the worm hangs on to the silk.  So when you squeeze the ear out of the husk, he stays inside! ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

fishpharmer

Nomad, you pick your corn too early if the worm stays in the silk, more protein if it burrows in the end of the ear a lil bit. ;) ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Warbird

Quote from: DanG on September 13, 2012, 03:05:58 PM
One question though, does the worm get done, or do you have to recook him?

The worm explodes during nuking and the resulting spray provides that extra added flavor to the corn that everyone is raving about.  ;D

Jeff

I wish I would have said that.  :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Or maybe wish that he had not.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!