iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beginning of heating season?

Started by Logging logginglogging, September 10, 2012, 12:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logging logginglogging

I just dont like running the stove if i dont have to... but i am thinking i will have to soon....
I have been saying to my wife all fall i will start it Feb 28th lol

SwampDonkey

Some of you fella's have "free firewood", but are hesitant to use it? Maybe it's not really "free" after all. I mean running gas and electric instead? Give me a break. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Nothing is free .You either pay for it or you earn it .Like the old saying "there is no free wood pile "

SwampDonkey

AH, now your finally fessing up from what was said in previous heating threads about your free firewood. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Logging logginglogging

wood is our only heat source... no gas or eletric here. I do also pay for wood, unless I have time and a lot of good blowdowns some years

Al_Smith

:D In your opinion perhaps .What I said is I've never paid for a stick of firewood in my life unlike yourself .

I never said is was truely free in the sense you don't have to work for it .Besides also unlike yourself I'd much prefer to running a chainsaw as opposed to a clearing saw ,so there .  8) If it makes you feel better though I've got a couple weedwackers which I should be using ,weeds ya know .

SwampDonkey

Weed whacking is a breeze, try brush cutt'n 40 foot aspen to the ground. No chainsaw allowed. :D I had some words with the boss that had to do with thinning criteria and big wood, they don't fall in the same class of cut'n. :D Needless to say I'm not cutting 40 foot trees. ;D

Al_Smith

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 19, 2012, 04:02:20 PM
  Needless to say I'm not cutting 40 foot trees. ;D
Well you could ,I do it all the time but not aspen because we have none .Ya gotta have a chain saw though .

You did inspire me though .After my last post I did get the weed wacker out .A tidy yard is a happy yard . ;)

Logging logginglogging

Guess my yard is unhappy.....mabynext year ill get topsoil and plant grass....This summened has been "A stained house is a happy house"

Al_Smith

What a natural stain wood home .My Lawdy talk about work to maintain ,oowee. They surely do look nice though if they are kept up .

thecfarm

Looks like tonight my "free" heat,after I pay for a tractor,diesel,chainsaw,gas and oil for it,and up keep on both,taxes on the land, will be on all night. Suppose to have a hard freeze. But I do enjoy working my land. My neighbors say I work all the time. I just tell then it does not feel like work to me. Covered the garden up some. Trying to save some stuff so I can keep selling a while longer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Oh, you know how it is. A fellow just has to step back once in awhile and smile.  :)

But anyway, 40 foot stuff is too much for a brush saw. Stuff breaks and on top of that the rate for cutting this block was too low to be worth it.  The only reason some of them are still down there is they are way behind and they will be even further in the hole.  The fellow that was traveling with me probably spent about $1000 in parts in 3 weeks. My Styhl is way older and never missed a beat. But, for how long in that stuff? That big aspen is soft but you gotta hold it (saw) up in the air to chop it up 4 or 5 times to get it down. Hard on the body. You could only cut about 60 meters a day and should be 90-120 for that rate. ::)

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: thecfarm on September 19, 2012, 10:20:08 PM
Looks like tonight my "free" heat,after I pay for a tractor,diesel,chainsaw,gas and oil for it,and up keep on both,taxes on the land, will be on all night. Suppose to have a hard freeze. But I do enjoy working my land. My neighbors say I work all the time. I just tell then it does not feel like work to me. Covered the garden up some. Trying to save some stuff so I can keep selling a while longer.

Yeah I dont mind working my land and doing wood either. People also say I work all the time too, fixing machinery, our cars, finishing work on my house, wood, all sorts of things. Next year I wont be staining any more so I can actyally enjoy more working in the woods.

thecfarm

Only got down to 33. We got by that one. Most years now it will warm up and won't get another frost for 2-3 weeks. But I not counting on it either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

It was 38 here this morning, but still only 62. So the windows were damp. It was time for a fire. So I am keeping a small fire, wide open damper and the manual van on. That way it's not 110 degrees in here. ;D Besides I have a bad cold, everything aches including by skin.  ::)

Logging logginglogging

Heavy frost here last night... had to scrape car windows this am.
Started the stove last night but am just burning junk wood and tree limbs that fell in the yard right now

Al_Smith

It was supposed to get to 39 last night which it might have .I'm in the woods so it really has to get colder than that before we really feel it .

It could be as late as early November before we get a killing frost where the garden is located .Problem is those danged tomatoes get some tough old skins once the temperature drops .Still tastey but you about have to use an axe to cut them .

Kansas

They have fired up the gasification unit the last few days, not because we needed heat, but because they want to have it ready to go when its time. We are heating up a section of flooring we never did last year, where the 3rd mill sits now. They wanted to get all the antifreeze etc circulating. They have got a lotta firewood from the  slash ready to go. Heating the floor now of a 70 x 153 ft building. Its going to take a bit of firewood. After all those years of  being in an open sided building,at the mercy of the weather and wind, the old timers at the mill are going to make sure everyone is comfortable.

thecfarm

Those buildings are some cold too. Thay act just like a tunnel. It's nice to be comfortable.

Thank You Sponsors!