iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lining a blanket chest with cedar

Started by Dan_Shade, September 09, 2012, 08:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I'm working on a blanket chest.

I'd like to line the box with cedar, but I'm not quite sure how to do the lid.   The lid is a breadboard panel. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

jamesamd

Dan,No need to apply ceader to the lid the walls and bottom will be enough.
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Dan_Shade

hmm, i figured the top would be needed too.

I don't know how to line the top without using an edge molding, and using an edge molding with the breadboard will probably look funky.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Larry

I've made about forty which were all customer ordered and a couple of different designs.  Nobody has ever asked for cedar in the lid...but than again I never thought of doing it that way.  I would certainly give it a try if that's what somebody wants.  Sketchup would get a good work out until I came up with a design I was happy with.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Larry, do you have any other pics of your work? Thanks.
The cedar chest in the pic looks very nice.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Larry

There's a few more in my gallery under the woodworking section.  I ended up making I think, 12 blanket chests of that design.  All for the same family and from trees on there home place.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

1woodguy

Hey Larry
Nice looking blanket chest,  curious how big is it ?
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

SwampDonkey

Mom has a blanket chest the school made, probably 50 years ago now. She knew it was cedar lined and didn't know it was a walnut carcass and lid until I told her. I asked her if she knew what kind of wood it was made from and the response was, "some type of wood". :D

Don't line the lid Dan, unless you absolutely want to of course. ;D A lid design like Larry's will keep the moth out anyway. It's the way I did mine and I never used cedar lining. And yup, there are little moths in the house, but they aren't in there. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

I made Jill one for quilts and I would get a picture but I just opened it up and it's stuffed to the brim with quilts.

I went bird's eye maple with walnut accents and t&g cedar inside. The lid too.
The bird's eye came from northern Wisconsin and the cedar from our yard.

I'll have her empty it out and get a pic  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Burlkraft on September 15, 2012, 09:58:56 AM

:D You got more nerve than Jesse James!  :D

DouginUtah

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 15, 2012, 07:31:27 PM
Quote from: Burlkraft on September 15, 2012, 09:58:56 AM

:D You got more nerve than Jesse James!  :D

On the other hand, he knows not to mess with HER stuff.  :D
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Yeah Steve. You don't need to climb in. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

My project is moving along, I completed a pretty hairy glueup yesterday, I am seriously considering starting to use hide glue so that I have a bit more time to put the joints together.

The project is built with 1/4 and rift sawn red oak, using a raised panel design that matches a bed that I made a while back.

A mock up of the frame:

The corners are put together with a lock miter bit, this is a picture of test fitting the bottom frame and panel, this is fitted to a 1/4" groove along the bottom edge of the case:

Prefinishing the floating panels:

a knot filled with System Three Epoxy blackened with charcoal dust; I used a file to make dust from a briquette:

the hairy glue up, I think there were 22 we joints, including the bottom frame being glued to the case:

the assembly with the lid sitting on it for perspective.  The lid has breadboard ends on it, pegged in place so that any movement should be at the hinge edge of the top:

ready to complete the finish:

I have turned feet still in the lathe, that will get a few coats of finish as well, I'll get some pictures of those later today.

Dan_Shade

SwampDonkey

Excellent job. She's sure solid. Nice touch turning the feet on the lathe, they look great and you duplicated them well.  Lid looks dead flat. Good stuff. 8)

Dan_Shade

finish on the feet:

finish on the chest:

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

submarinesailor

Not bad for an Electric Engineer. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dan - it looks outstanding...GoodOutstanding job!

Bruce

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm telling you Dan....ya'll make me SICK!

There is some fine woodworkers on here.  ;)

A great God given talent you have......very nice job.  smiley_thumbsup

WDH

Wow, that is beautiful.  The natural finish really brings out the beauty of the red oak!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

grweldon

I haven't seen any answers to your question.  It IS a beautiful chest.  I think I would consider tounge and groove boards of cedar to line with.  Do the bottom first, leaving the ends of the board short of the sides, gluing only in the center (assuming the grain runs parallel to the short sides).  For the sides, use the same boards aligned vertically, glued at the bottom edge and hiding the gap from the bottom boards.  Machine a piece to cover the ends at the top so that you can leave them free to move a bit.  In the corners, it will probably be necessary to mill corner pieces that would cover a gap that covers the board edges on the ends, leaving room for movement.

Obviously there are at least a handful of ways to do this.  This is one way.  May or may not be the best way...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Tree Feller

And I thought this thread was only aout how to install the Cedar lining.

That's a beautiful chest and very well crafted. The quality shows even in the pics. Well done.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Dan_Shade

I got it all together. Tomorrow, or Sunday I hope to get it lined with cedar.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

beenthere

Dan
That is some very fine woodworking there.
The grain matching in the front panels was done very, very carefully or you are just extremely lucky.
Super job.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

I ordered the hinges from nathan's forge.  http://www.nathansforge.com/Nathans_Forge/Hinges.html

I may try to make my own hinges for the next chest I build.

beenthere, I try to match the grain on all of my projects. the front panels are from 2 glued up boards, that were cut in half.  I think the biggest mistake amature woodworkers make is not paying attention to color and grain matching.

SwampDonkey

You've done a mighty fine job so far.  :) 8)

WDH

Yes, a very nice piece of work!  I am impressed!

Dan_Shade

On most chests that I've looked at with panels, the grain in the panels ran vertical.  I decided to do this one with the grain running horizontal.

I certainly welcome (and encourage) any critiques. 

WDH

The horizontal lines of the panels forms a nice contrast with the linearity of the styles.

Larry

Quote from: Dan_Shade on October 06, 2012, 08:01:57 AM
On most chests that I've looked at with panels, the grain in the panels ran vertical.  I decided to do this one with the grain running horizontal.

When I first saw your chest I thought of the grain direction.  I think it works well.  Maybe a more modern look?

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Dan_Shade on October 06, 2012, 08:01:57 AM

Traditionally, the grain runs the direction of the longest dimension. So, your panels look just right to my eye. I always think it looks a little awkward when the grain runs along the short dimension of a panel. Plus, it just doesn't make sense to do it that way from a wood movement perspective. I'm glad you trusted your gut because I think you make the right call! It's looking fantastic, very impressive work! :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

With the styles in your piece, it's the best way to orient the grain as you have done in my estimation. :) When I built one here from butternut and pine, I had finger joints and ran the grain as you did. Couldn't bring myself to cut up those nice butternut boards into shorts. Butternut and white pine are about the most stable woods one could use. ;D

AK Newbie

Wow awesome job!  Thanks for sharing all the pictures! 8)
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

metalspinner

Very good job! 8)

Did you leave the underside of the top unfinished because you will apply cedar to it?   If you are worried about the interior finish smell never going away you could use shellac.  My worry for that top panel is that it's unbalanced with just one side finished. It's quite possible the top will cup.

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dan_Shade

i finished the underside of the lid with shellac.  It's been loaded with blankets for about a month now.

thanks, guys

SwampDonkey

Too bad it's full already. I coulda sent ya one or two. :D

Thank You Sponsors!