iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Color in Poplar

Started by Riggs, September 08, 2012, 09:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riggs

I've been sawing some poplar for a guy and most of it has been as colorful as vanilla ice cream. Then, I got this one.....

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Enjoy the color while you can. I sawed some like this for my store building and it faded away. But it sure was pretty while it lasted.

Good Pics, Riggs
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Riggs

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 08, 2012, 09:46:20 PM
Enjoy the color while you can. I sawed some like this for my store building and it faded away. But it sure was pretty while it lasted.

Good Pics, Riggs

Yeah I figure it'll be gone soon, but it sure was nice to look at.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Okrafarmer

Around here, we call that Rainbow Poplar. I think there are ways to preserve the color, but I don't know for sure.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Dan_Shade

I believe that is caused by minerals in the soil.

In grading, it is considered a defect.   It will probably turn an ugly brown.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

The black won't fade, will it?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Dan_Shade on September 09, 2012, 05:56:07 AM
I believe that is caused by minerals in the soil.

In grading, it is considered a defect.   It will probably turn an ugly brown.

That is true. For official grade lumber. But not for hobbyists and woodworkers who like character in their wood.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

oifield man

plane it and coat it with golden pecan varnish and it will help bring out the color it.
just leaving in my own little world

Okrafarmer

Welcome to the forum, oilfield man!
8)

Riggs

It's actually just going to line a couple of horse stalls, so it's no big deal if it fades. The tree it was cut from was a bad leaner up to about 12 feet off the ground then it straightened right up. this log was the leaner. I figured it was caused by stress??? huh-smiley

Norwood ML 26

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum,    oifield man, and even on your Birthday.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

Usually it comes from some sort of damage to the tree.  Logging damage will do it on most poplar trees.  If there is any shake or even some skinned bark, that color will come up.  If it would be soil, it would be in all the poplar trees in an area.  That's not the case.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!