iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dialing in the LT-40HD

Started by Okrafarmer, September 08, 2012, 02:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

Just to recap, I am starting this thread on the heals of the "Road Trip!" thread documenting the adventures I had obtaining this new used LT-40HD for my boss. In case someone in the future comes along and reads this thread from scratch, the background is that FF member Piney Woods saw that I was looking for an affordable LT-40, and he also noticed this one come up for sale on Craig's List near his home, so he told me.

My boss had a Turner manual mill previously, which I cut my teeth on for two years, and we were able to sell it. With that money and a little more scraped up, we were able to buy the LT-40HD for $7,500. It includes a sharpener and tooth setter. The mill is a 1990 model.

Currently I have not managed to start it because the key won't go back in the ignition. However, a new switch is on the way, and that may encourage me to go ahead and be rougher with this one in the mean time to see if I can get it to work.  ;)

Anyway, I haven't taken any pictures since getting back, but here's one from the trip to start you off with.

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Shotgun

Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 08, 2012, 02:43:07 PM
...on the heals of the "Road Trip!"

Pretty funny okra.  Was the pun intended?    ;D

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Magicman

Yup, he is healing up from the eating and driving, and then driving and eating again. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Do you have a flat tire on your mill?  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Delawhere Jack

Okra, if you're dieing to get started, you may be able to take the ignition switch off, take the "plug" (the part where the key goes in) out of the shell and remove the keying wafers and springs, then put it back together. Then any key or even a screwdriver would operate it. Those switches are nothing more than a desk drawer lock with contacts on the back.

davch00

All y'all rich boys talking about getting a new switch makes me laugh. I've have been around several small engines, a few tractors and even a truck or two that when the switch messed up got hotwired...redneck re-engineered.  ;D Its an option if you can't wait on parts to come in to start making some cuts.

Chuck White

Looks like you made a pretty good deal on the new (to you) Wood-Mizer!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

customsawyer

I don't know how you are trying to put the key in but on all of my WM mills the smooth side of the key went in on the bottom.  ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Okrafarmer

I got the key issue fixed, no problem. Now I've developed worse trouble. . . . . :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 08, 2012, 08:15:59 PM
I got the key issue fixed, no problem. Now I've developed worse trouble. . . . . :-\

Worst it could be would be a blown engine, throw on a new one and you've still got a good deal, LT40 under $10k......

drobertson

no offense intended, but it does sound like you like the road trips. All that being said, that sounds like a great deal.  good luck a good sawing,   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Okrafarmer

Well, Jack, it is the engine. We'll see how bad on Monday. It was running, but I had to keep fiddling with the choke. When I engaged it and put it into the log it went about eight inches or so and died. I backed it out again and tried to start it, and it cranked over and fired a few times but didn't want to go. We decided to check the spark plugs (me and one of the kids that helps us, and I broke off one of the spark plugs in the head. So, now we have to extract it, and if any procelain or anything else goes down in the cylinder, I guess the head will have to come off. Which means a new head gasket, at the very least. Meanwhile, we will do a compression test on the remaining cylinder (did get the spark plug out of there). The spark plug we got out whole looked black but not wet. Both were rusted into the hole pretty tight.

I don't know what all we will find, but a new engine would be $1800 or more, so anything short of that will be preferable. I hope it won't take too much to get it going, but pulling the head will almost certainly be necessary.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 08, 2012, 08:48:07 PM
Well, Jack, it is the engine. We'll see how bad on Monday. It was running, but I had to keep fiddling with the choke. When I engaged it and put it into the log it went about eight inches or so and died. I backed it out again and tried to start it, and it cranked over and fired a few times but didn't want to go. We decided to check the spark plugs (me and one of the kids that helps us, and I broke off one of the spark plugs in the head. So, now we have to extract it, and if any procelain or anything else goes down in the cylinder, I guess the head will have to come off. Which means a new head gasket, at the very least. Meanwhile, we will do a compression test on the remaining cylinder (did get the spark plug out of there). The spark plug we got out whole looked black but not wet. Both were rusted into the hole pretty tight.

I don't know what all we will find, but a new engine would be $1800 or more, so anything short of that will be preferable. I hope it won't take too much to get it going, but pulling the head will almost certainly be necessary.

Check the fuel tank quick disconnect. Mine did the same thing, it would idle fine, but under load it would cut out. Turns out plastic fitting for the disconnect had broken. It would draw fuel fine at idle, but under load the loose fitting would allow air in the line. Does yours have a see through fuel filter in the gas line? Is there air in the filter? I'll post a picture showing where the fuel fitting broke.

Delawhere Jack

Here is the old fitting. The pencil is pointing to wear it separated. I've epoxied it back together and I'll keep it as a spare. I was able to find a replacement made of aluminum at a marine supply store.

Hopefully that's all it is. I'd soak that plug in penetrating oil before you try to get it out.

paul case

If you need some parts I will give you my old engine, It quit me all at once and it probably needs the crankshaft module. I would send it to you if you pay the shipping.  I would say go back to LA and get Bodgers 30 hp Kohler. Look on the for sale board.

I did the upgrade to a Kohler 25 from WM on my new to me LT40. It uses about half the fuel of the old Onan and turns much stronger. Good luck and be patient, it takes time to get the kinks worked out. BTW your mill has more paint on it than mine :D   PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Delawhere Jack

If you do need to pull the head it shouldn't be too bad, being a flathead engine.

Okrafarmer

Thanks guys. PC, I'll pm you. That's very thoughtful of you.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Okra, I have fuel filters in stock too.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Delawhere Jack

I've also noticed that the choke knob will tend to "pull itself" out to about 1/4 choke when milling, just from vibration I guess. Wouldn't hurt to put spring in there somewhere to keep it off.

Those Onan engines will run a LONG time with proper care.

Okrafarmer

If we get it back together and it has decent compression, we should be able to figure out the rest. POSTON, the guy just replaced the fuel filter.  ;)

Buck

Okra, I have been thru the exact same issues as Del Jack. All same lil tricks. That quick disconnect will make you tinker with stuff that doesn't need tinkering. Dang thing got heaved off into the wild blue. IF you ever have to break the muffler loose from the manifold get ready for lessons in languages you didnt think you knew. I just recently went on that adventure. Those bolts seize and break and then "it's" on.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

pineywoods

I had the same problem with the fuel tank connection. Tinkered with it for a while, then threw it in the scrap pile and replaced it with a brass fitting and a hose clamp.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

paul case

My gas tank quick disconect was already gone. It is real easy to fill with a 5 gallon bucket when you learn how to do it and with the mill being stationary I never take the tank off anyway.  8) 8) 8)  PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

'Bout the only time that my tank has been removed was to replace that quick disconnect that I never use.  Age and the sun's UV killed it.  I still do not know why I did not do as Piney did.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

About that broken plug. Drown it in penetrating oil and give it time to soak in. Take a punch or a drift pin and a 10-12oz ball peen hammer and tap around on what's left of the plug. It might be helpful to heat the head with a propane torch as well before you try getting it out. You don't want to gall the threads on an aluminum head.

I learned a very valuable lesson from Mary Parsons when I picked up my mill............... Anti-sieze compound!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!