iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what band blade works for you, need to order, thinking about changing

Started by drobertson, September 08, 2012, 11:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I thought I would pick some brains on band blade choices and why,  My inventory is at a critical low, been on resharpes long enough, I have a hankering for maybe trying something different. I will post what I use now, but I would like to hear some reports on all the different makes.  Thanks,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

David, on my Woodmizer, I saw mostly Pine and a little Oak when every now and again.

I use the 10 degree Woodmizer blade which is really excellent on Pine and very good on Oak if I slow down a bit.

If I was sawing nothing but Oak, I would go with a 4 degree blade.

What mill do you have? I know you told us on another thread but I don't remember?

David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dan_Shade

There are a lot of factors to having the best blade. 

I have a 25 HP engine on my mill.  I use 10° for  except white oak, hickory and locust.  I use 4° for those.  I run Woodmizer blades..
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

drobertson

David, I have the 40 super, 51cat, 13'2" blade, I just ran some old, old wmz resharpes and they still got the job done. I ran some simmons resharpes on some pine a few weeks ago, just like a planer. Unbelievable. My sharpener is face grind only. this is why I am asking. wmz blades are the D-4, very hard. I have some but not worth at this point for another resharp.  I hate to sound tight, but it is what it is. I will tell what works for me, I just need to hear some other inputs. I am open minded, and need to know how you guys sharpen the used blades. I Lost my sharpener lady, she was a good one for sure, 4 bucks a blade, 4 miles away.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

HI drobertson, I have the same mill as you A 2008. I use WM 1 1/4 x55x7s .and I use them on all kinds of wood , All I use. Go buy a sharpener and setter. and you will be all set. this is my setup

I hope this helps, good luck
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Magicman

I have never had/seen a reason for me to change band brand or manufacturer.  Of course, I do use WM Resharp/Replacement service so I never run short or low on bands.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

I'm sure different mills work better with different bands, but I have tried most of the major manufacturers and timber wolf and monkey blades are my favorite two.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

LaserZX

I have been looking for other options too and found Countrysawmill and Knife in Ohio to be a next place I am ordering blades.   I talked to Steve and he gave me like 4 major brands to chose.    I am going to order a assortment and try it out.   I am using WM Double Hard now and found them to be good but I am a rookie so maybe I can learn something with different blades.

customsawyer

I run the 10° blades. They work well on most everything and give me decent cutting speed. If I was doing lots of hard hardwood like hickory and white oak I might go to the 4°.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

hackberry jake

Menominee saw is a sponsor of the ff. they carry simonds, wm, monkey, and lennox. The last time I ordered bands I got two wm, two monkey, three simonds, and three Lennox. All in the same box, you can't beat that.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Chuck White

Quote from: customsawyer on September 08, 2012, 06:28:00 PM
I run the 10° blades. They work well on most everything and give me decent cutting speed. If I was doing lots of hard hardwood like hickory and white oak I might go to the 4°.

Same here, I use the 10° for everything!

It's a general purpose blade!

Good luck in your search!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WH_Conley

Bill

Dave Shepard

WM 10° for most sawing, and 4° for locust and white oak, although I've sawn a lot of oak with the 10°. Most of my sawing is EWP. We use the Resharp/replacement program.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bandmiller2

I've had good luck with all the bands tried.Be aware if you use resharp they only do their own.I think Cooks will sharpen any bands and you'll get good service from their offerings.If I was cornered and plied with many cold beers I'd fess up to prefering Timberwolf bands. A serious bandmill operator should consider sharpening his own,its not for everyone,but cheaper in the long haul. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

thanks brothers!, this is pretty much what I wanted to hear, I have been using the cook's super sharp, this blade is a face sharpen only.  the gullet is deep.  I do like the wmz blades but I know my sharpener wont work on the hardness of the blade.  I have heard about the timber wolf blades just have not tried them.  It is a tricky thing with blades, and everyone has their preference.  I just wanted to know what most folks ran, if for nothing else to know what works.  I hope yall have a great week end,  david,

paul case

I really like the simonds red streaks. The ones I use are 1¼x 7/8x 042. They are about $6 cheaper than the timberwolfs and they sharpen with the face grind very well. I cut almost all hardwoods mostly oak. I have tried cooks ss, timberwolf, and kasco but my fav by far is the simonds red streak. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

ladylake

Same as Paul, Simonds cut real good and take a lot of sharpenings.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

MartyParsons

Hello,
I have been using the WM Silver Tip. .042 7 degree on the small mills. LT10,LT15 LT28 and LT35. The .045 7 degree Double Hard seems to use more HP and does not seem to work well until I get over 25 hp. I was using the .045 9 degree on these mills before I switched to the .042 7 degree.
They are working well.
The .042 7 degree is something new for the WM Silver Tip line.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

fat olde elf

In the past ten years I have used Simonds,Timberwolf, Lennox and WM with similar results.  I sharpen my own bands and for others as well.  i usually run 10 degrees, 7/8 and .042. I have 12 Cooks supersharp in my shop waiting for Ross Keddle to buy 8 eight more and send me the cam for my Cats Claw sharpener. I have one sample supershop that I haven't used to date.  The best deal I have found on bands is to go to the Pig Roast and win 10 WM bands. I have done this for past 2 years and I am very grateful to the Forum and WM. Say your prayers......
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

I have had really good results in hard hardwoods, including pecan, with the Munkfors blades. They are expensive, but the results were incredible. I am about to try the Woodmizer Double hard, I hope I am as impressed with them. BTW, after switching sawmills, I still have some of the 11' Munkfors blades left, and they are for sale on the Fore Sale site. I just figured I'd try the WM blades since I never tried them before, and now have a WM mill.
8)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

bandmiller2

Truth be known if someone switched bands on my mill I wouldn't know as long as they were sharp and set well.Try them all but then settle in to your favorite and buy all the same,makes it alot easier when you set and sharpen. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

yea frank you got this right. I have a baker sharpener and setter. I have found that I really don't need to set very often. These cook super sharps are getting 6 to seven sharpens. and that is not to shabby.  Have a good day.    david

Thank You Sponsors!