iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing 4ft cants

Started by Klicker, September 06, 2012, 06:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klicker

I am sawing four foot cants to be resawed down for lobster  traps. I have a LT40HD . My question is has anyone made a clamp to slip over the hydraulic clamp so you can clamp and unclamp without going back to the end every time.
2006 LT 40 HD

isawlogs

Clamp the cant so that it is on the front bunk and you wont have as far to go, the clamp will hold it well even if it is at the end of the cant.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Bibbyman

Some Wood-Mizer owners have added a section to the contact strip so they don't have to move the head back so far.

I would saw 8' or 12' logs to make the pieces and then cut to length.

We saw 40" blocking and start with 10' logs, saw 10' 2x3s,then hack to 40".  Often there are defect that can be cut out.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Klicker

With using the two manual clamps I thought it might not be two hard to rig somthing up to hold them. The would is all ready cut to four feet. Rod
2006 LT 40 HD

bandmiller2

Klicker,cut 8 foot cants and cut them in half with your chainsaw. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

macpower

Klicker,
Trap mills used to be quite an industry up this way 25-30 years back. Everyone fishes wire traps now. The only wood traps I see are on the roofs of southbound cars.
Dang shame too, was quite an art to building a good wood trap with steamed bows.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Bibbyman

Are you talking about the back supports?  The two manual ones in the middle?  They can be linked to the back supports that are powered.   Wood-Mizer makes a kit upgrade.

For years we sawshed shirt logs and the two manual back support were production killers.  We linked all four back supports and have been happy every after.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bandmiller2

Macpower,anyone up youir way still fishing the wood pots.?Thats what used to keep the old boys busy in the winter,shop with a stove and white oak slats.Have they done any studies, which traps work best wood or steel.? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Klicker

I am helping a sawer who has been doing them on an LT28 for a few years right now he can not keep up with the orders. He pays well i sis close and good to work with. I can have what ever hours in between mobile Jobs. Things where slow for him in the summer and now he is getting sawmped. Rod
2006 LT 40 HD

Cedarman

I've been sawmped a few times myself. :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

macpower

Quote from: bandmiller2 on September 06, 2012, 07:58:58 PM
Macpower,anyone up youir way still fishing the wood pots.?Thats what used to keep the old boys busy in the winter,shop with a stove and white oak slats.Have they done any studies, which traps work best wood or steel.? Frank C.
I don't know if anyone is fishing wood anymore. I think all the old pots have been shipped to Massachusetts to be used as coffee tables. The wire traps are lighter and easier to handle, you can carry a larger deck load, etc.
I've known fisherman that think wire  fishes better, and some that think wood did.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Jim_Rogers

I think even the wire traps have a wooden runner on the bottom so that the wire trap doesn't damage the side of the boat when they haul it up over the rail...... at least my friend who used to make trap parts said that's what the runners were for..... he moved on from making knock down traps parts to just cutting runner stock some years ago....before he moved out of MA to NY

By knock down traps, I mean he used to make all the pieces for a trap, and the customer only had to put them together. Not the bow top just the trapezoid shaped ones.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Klicker

There are still some fishing wooden traps up here. Kev mills the pieces  and the fisher puts them together. If I can i will try and get a few photos next week of his set up. Rod
2006 LT 40 HD

ATLGA

lots of wooden traps still being used in south florida
America First.

Thank You Sponsors!