iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Amazing early pictures of Red Wood logging

Started by ATLGA, September 06, 2012, 09:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Thanks.  Those are different pictures than most that I have seen.  I was also glad to see the oxen.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ATLGA

Same here! They were new to me. The Oxen team was pretty incredible.
America First.

Holmes

That whole process is quite incredible, great pictures. Thanks for sharing...
Think like a farmer.

mikeb1079

cool pics thanks for the link.  photos seem to be higher res than some i've seen.  like many of us i suppose there's such mixed emotion when you look at pics like that.  respect for the men who did that incredible work but wishing maybe they hadn't.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

logboy

I dont want to hear any more whining on the forums about how hard it is to mill without hydraulics!
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

beenthere

Quotebut wishing maybe they hadn't.

Those men and their families had to eat. Not only was their a market for redwood that gave them jobs, but the land was needed to grow food to feed them. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Autocar

Amazing pictures, would be something to see for sure. I bet they didn't have to worry about eating to much fatty pork  ;).
Bill

1270d

I realy like the one of the stump farm.  Looks normal till you note the size of the man.

gunman63

yes they are big stumps campared to the man, but  the trees in the  back ground  appear much smaller compared to the stumps in the foreground

kelLOGg

Funny what we notice. In the 1st pic is the guy on the far left wearing a tie?? :o
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

kelLOGg

whoa, and the two guys lying down on the job are in suits???   ::) Is this management trying to get a cut of the action?  ;D
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Sixacresand

Quote from: kelLOGg on September 06, 2012, 09:29:54 PM
whoa, and the two guys lying down on the job are in suits???   ::) Is this management trying to get a cut of the action?  ;D
Somebody probably who made a bunch of money and never broke a sweat. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Bill Gaiche

Isnt it amazing how men of that time did the unbelievable. You gotta feel for them if you have ever done any timber work. But all in all they goter done. bg

SPIKER

That 2nd to last photo has trees for corduroy road bigger than most of them around here nowadays...  ::)    :-[   Those are really nice trees too bad they clear cut so much of the area back then.   I spent a long weekend up in the parks cica 1992 summer.   took a few pics of my GF 5.2 125lbs leaning against one of the redwoods or a Sequoya forget which now that she looks like a barbie doll leaning against a 48" tree.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

BandsawWarrior

That's what I'm talking about!  10' wide vertical grain boards lol. 
Tyler Hart
T&N Custom Sawmill

1woodguy

Great pix
It's hard to imagine
Back when I was a kid grandpa had me use a cross buck saw all day
Said they cut cordwood for years with them when he was a young in
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

Joanie

Stupid question, What is the trapizoid stick thing in the first picture?
Yes this gal loves Grease and saw dust. Oh and my cat and my honey.
Lt40hd 24hp Onan, Husky 359 that runs when it wants to, Polan Wood Shark at the mill,starts every time, 1994 Jeep YJ.

Shotgun

My two cents is that it's a tool to assist in making certain that the notch is properly aimed at the desired drop zone, and perhaps to assist in getting the notch cut to the proper depth.  When working with that scale of tree, it would be difficult to "eyeball" the notch direction and perhaps the depth, and it would be unwise to just attempt to guess where the tree is headed.  The tree might take out an outhouse in the next county.    :D

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

mikeb1079

yep shotgun is right its for getting your notch cut properly.  theres a vid on utube called redwood saga that shows the fellers using one.  amazing stuff
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

sparky1

Its hard to fathom something like that!!! The biggest tree Ive ever seen is probably 5 foot diameter.. I know i dont get out much  8)
Shaun J

beenthere

sparky
Get that on your bucket list, to visit the big redwoods in CA. They are quite the site.   Take in the Sequoia trees as well. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Holmes

Did you notice the size of the wood chips from chopping.  They look big enough to be fire wood.
Think like a farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!