iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gloom, Despair, and Agony on Me

Started by DanG, September 05, 2012, 11:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.  And so goes the old song from Hee Haw.  I tell ya, I felt about like that this evening, just before dark.  As some of you know, I've been sorta inactive for  a while, but I'm doing better and trying to get this place straightened out.  I got the backhoe running last week, and I've been moving a bunch of rotting logs across the road as part of the process.  Our road runs through the middle of my land.  Well, I was having trouble seeing down the road from that driveway into the pasture side, so on my last trip across, I decided to eliminate some brush that was blocking my view.  I positioned the tractor at an angle across the entrance and clawed some small shrubs out, raking them to the side with the bucket.  I got the dipper stick extended all the way out, and rotated all the way to one side, and that's when a hydraulic hose busted! :o :'( :'(  Nothing on that backhoe will move now!  I got off and confirmed that it is not one of them hoses that is easy to get to.  Oh no, it has to be one of those that disappears up into the bowels of the machine. ::)  Now, ya want to know the "best" part?  My truck is trapped in the field by this thing that is spraddled out all over the driveway!  No way is it coming out until the Cat is moved.  All I can say is, it's a good thing we have more than one vehicle!!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Warbird

Major bummer.  :(  Here's hoping tomorrow will be a much better day for you.

Gary_C

That's not a big problem. I'm kind of used to those hydraulic hose problems.

Take a grinder and cut that hose after it exits from inside the machine and screw on reusable hydraulic fittings. reusable hose fittings  Most likely it's a 1/2 inch hose (-08) and has JIC (-10) fittings. Get a male and a female end and you have a quick repair. If the hose is really bad, you can replace it later.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Chuck White

Crap like that happens at the most inopportune times!

At least your hoe wasn't extended across the public road!  :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kansas

Thanks for the tip, Gary. Never knew they made such a thing.

LeeB

I guess you and a whole lot of other people don't know about them. I tried to buy some at the auto parts store a while back and the whole staff was stumped as to what I wanted. We're not allowed to use them anymore at work. Too many guys that don't know how to use them putting them on too high a pressured system. They are rated for safe working pressure. Be sure to get the right ones.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

red

I opened a Fortune Cookie that said . . .Soon life will become more Interesting . . .not sure how soon or how interesting
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Weekend_Sawyer

Good luck Dan, I hope the hose poped outside the machine. I like the idea of those screw on fittings. Had not heard of them before either.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WDH

Sprawled is a very descriptive word.  Sorry for your Gloom, Despair, and Agony.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Wenrich

We used to have a Jackson mill that used reusable fittings on all the hoses.  When a hose broke, we just cut the end off and used the reusable fitting.  You were up and running in no time.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

DanG

I'll have to replace the hose. No problem on that, except getting to the DanG thing.  Next question: I have a bunch of tractor transmission/hydraulic fluid.  Can I use that, or should I buy a bucket of R&O?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kansas

I am thinking of getting some of the reusable hose ends, the screw in ones. Wonder if they are safe for Woodmizer and such equipment. Be wonderful to be up and going in a matter of minutes instead of much longer getting the hose out and taking it somewhere to replace the whole thing. Think that would be a wonderful thing for those with portable mills to keep a couple in the tool box. Just in case.

Woodhauler

Quote from: DanG on September 06, 2012, 10:05:52 AM
I'll have to replace the hose. No problem on that, except getting to the DanG thing.  Next question: I have a bunch of tractor transmission/hydraulic fluid.  Can I use that, or should I buy a bucket of R&O?
You can use what you got! Its just a vbetter grade hydralic oil!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

DanG

scottyblue

Gloom,despair and agony?Holy smokes;one would think that you had a biblical plaque of locust descending on your land!

You made me laugh Dan :D

I hope you get it sorted out soon.
Scotty

Morewood

Back in the day before crimp-on hydraulic fittings all there was them re-usable screw on type . Aeroquip had a corner on this market ,there are a few others now  . Yes you can still get JIC , and most of the other types and sizes that are needed on these mills. It's best to stay with a brand (hose and fitting) so they can handle the pressure . To make a splice just use a , for example -6 male JIC and a -6 female JIC.
2008 Cooks AC3651 perkins diesel , JD 310C w/forks and thumb , International 8000 Dump truck , 16 ton trailer , and all the accessories .

isawlogs

Did you manage to get that thing back together with out having too many extra peices to deal with  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Dan, da liquide goes in da tank of the hoe.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DanG

The Cat is alive again. 8)  I'm not sure what life this is, but I hope it ain't the ninth.  The repair wasn't too bad, once I got under there, but it's a good thing I only had a banana for breakfast!

isawlogs

Good, now you can get your ride out of the field.  8) 

Marcel

JohnW

A banana could be in a breakfast but a banana could not be a breakfast.

DanG

In this particular case, John, that was a good thing.  I'm tellin' ya, one corn flake and I could not have gotten under there without incorporating a shovel.  Do you have any idea how humiliating it would be to dig out under your backhoe with a shovel? :o :-[ :-X

davch00

QuoteDo you have any idea how humiliating it would be to dig out under your backhoe with a shovel
Been there..done that  help_me

sawguy21

C'mon, tell us the story :D Changing blown hydraulic hoses and cleaning up the mess is not a fun job at the best of times.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!