iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best rig for spraying pines?

Started by GATreeGrower, September 05, 2012, 05:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GATreeGrower

We are thinking of setting ourselves up to do some spraying (I say some, I mean a lot).

What kind of rig should I be looking for?  If this is your area please help me out, cause the only tractor work I've done in our stands is mowing middles and road work.  Spraying is completely new to me.

The tractor I work with is a JD 2755 and its much too big to spray with, it seems.

1270d

Would you be running between rows or spraying clearcut?   What is sprayed?   I don't know anything about plantation care, just curious.

WDH

Are you spraying for grass control?  Customsawyer here on the Forum has forgot more than most people ever know about spraying young planted pines.  Maybe you can send him a PM.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mad murdock

Costs per acre doing application in forestry you cannot do it cheaper IMO, than aerial application. I work for an aerial application co, that does strictly forestry work, primarily for private timber co's and REIT's. Probably 90% of our work in liquid application is 10 gal/acre. A typical spray day, we can cover 300-500 acres a day with one crew (2 man crew, pilot and batch truck driver). There are ground application outfits here in the PNW, but the only thing done by vehicle is roadside and right of way maintenance. Everything else is done aerially or with a backpack sprayer. Maybe it is different down south, tho I know pilots who have worked the south in forestry as well.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

pineywoods

For spraying by air, get an applicator that uses an ag plane if possible. Choppers look like the way to go, but the cost per hour for a helicopter is considerably higher than a fixed wing plane. Up side for a chopper is they can operate out of a small clearing or off a road, but then you might be surprised at some of the places a good ag pilot can get in and out of..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

GATreeGrower

Quote from: WDH on September 05, 2012, 09:59:36 PM
Are you spraying for grass control?  Customsawyer here on the Forum has forgot more than most people ever know about spraying young planted pines.  Maybe you can send him a PM.

Grass, bushes, hardwoods...vines are main problem though, bullis vines, Virginia creeper. And thank you, I will contact him

GATreeGrower

Quote from: 1270d on September 05, 2012, 07:31:30 PM
Would you be running between rows or spraying clearcut?   What is sprayed?   I don't know anything about plantation care, just curious.
Between rows

WDH

Are you banding over the pines or are you needing to do a broadcast spray? 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave VH

we use a 4 wheeler, and a kawasaki terex on my inlaws farm for smaller spray jobs.  they are very effective and can fit between rows easily and go anywhere
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Thank You Sponsors!