iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what mill 2 buy

Started by poorfarm, September 05, 2012, 03:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poorfarm

hey folks. i stay over on logging and skidder side of things. thinking of getting a mill figured i need some help. i have worked around full production mill of father in law but never sawed.. looking at woodmizer 35 manual?? want to saw enuff lumber for 32x40 building and make use of this lumber on our land seeing how i cant sell softwood for much here.. have 75 achers and skidder. is that mill big enuff to sell a little on the side after???  thanks

tyb525

That mill would work for you, however you'd be real happy with a hydraulic mill too.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WH_Conley

Get hydraulics. Your back will appreciate it.
Bill

Magicman

Welcome to the Sawmills & Milling board and thanks for the confidence.

Yes, the 35 manual mill will serve your purpose, especially if you have a FEL for loading logs.  Will it serve your purpose as well, no.  There are such things as turning and clamping, and as others have mentioned, hydraulics are there for a reason.  The hydraulic sawmill is approximately $5K more, plus I would want a debarker.  Maybe a debarker is an option on the manual 35, but I did not see it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I have a all manual mill. It's REAL slow and ALOT of work. But I only saw for me. Just depends on what you will be doing with it a few years down the road. Those things that I have said,oh that's all I need have turned out as, why didn't I buy bigger or more options.  But I'm very happy with my mill. I don't move mine so I'm all set up to load logs onto the mill,all on the same level.Like I said I only saw for me. Just too much going on to saw for others.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

paul case

The LT 35 from what I understand is a LT15 head on an LT40 log deck. I think that means it wont saw faster than an LT15.

Used manual mills can be found real reasonable. I owned an EZ Boardalk model 40 for 3 years and sawed out my house and serveral thousand bdft of stuff for others. So yes it can be done. I would Look for a used hydraulic mill If I had it to do again, but I have no regrets.

Happy hunting and welcome to this side of the Forum. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

MReinemann

Pretty sure the 35 is a LT28 head not a 15.

Chuck White

I think that instead of getting a new LT35, I'd be more tempted to look at a used LT40 hydraulic mill with a debarker.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sawdust Lover

I bought a manual mill and only kept it for 1 month. The hydrolics are wurth the extra money. Good luck on picking one out. There is alot of good mills out there.

WoodenHead

The LT35 head is similar to the LT28 head, but a little bit stronger.  I believe the drive motor is a little stronger as well.  The LT35 has a flavour of simple setworks, whereas the LT28 has manual setworks.

The LT35 is a lot of mill for the money.  If you plan on doing milling for others I would suggest a new or used LT40.  I would also vote for hydraulics.

dgdrls

Welcome to the party!! :D

It seems you will be sawing lots of dimensional lumber,
How about a Mighty Mite or a Mobile Dimension saw?
LT is a great choice I own orange myself but perhaps
the others would be a good option to examine too.

Best
DGDrls

MartyParsons

QuoteThe LT 35 from what I understand is a LT15 head on an LT40 log deck. I think that means it wont saw faster than an LT15.

QuoteThe LT35 head is similar to the LT28 head, but a little bit stronger.  I believe the drive motor is a little stronger as well.  The LT35 has a flavour of simple setworks, whereas the LT28 has manual setworks.

Hello,
Yea and yea but. The LT35 has 12v power feed and power up and down. And Setworks. The setworks is adjustable in 1/16th" and has two settings. The settings can be changed in seconds. Standard engine is 25 hp and Diesel is also available. It can also be used in manual mode. There is a inch scale and a standard qtr scale and it is movable so you can adjust your last cut. 4, 5 6 and 8 qtr is on the scale.
You can add hydraulics at a later time. Which is the Log loader, and turner includes back supports. The LT35 manual and the LT35 Hydraulic both have trailer brakes and they are electric 12v.
The head is mounted on the single mast head and it is cantilever design. It has hinged blade covers. Band Blade is tensioned with a 2500 Lb bushing which is an over center cam design.
Log deck package is the winch and turner and toe boards X 2 front and rear. Loading ramps are standard.
The bed frame is the tried and true LT28, LT35 LT40 frame. Stainless steel covers on the bed rails.

Oh my! I sound like a sales man?  Sorry!
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

poorfarm

ok, thanks guys.. looks like hyd mill would be nice watched the video.. start saving more pennies i guess? debarker if some one finds videio of one let me know .. there is more lumber up there than i could ever saw with a full time job.. so bigger the better if i can market it? 

Magicman

No video from me, but the debarker blade travels just ahead of the band and removes about ΒΌ" of bark, but more importantly, dirt, mud, and grit.  This vastly prolongs your blade life which also improves the lumber quality.

Simply put, I would not saw without a debarker.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grweldon

Quote from: Magicman on September 06, 2012, 01:16:22 PM
Simply put, I would not saw without a debarker.

Really... it's that much better?  I don't have any idea how long a band should last.  I was changing them every log when sawing pecan.  Sawing SYP it seems that I really have no problems with blade sharpness, but then again, I'm only sawing a couple of hours at a time... when I can find time...  Mill only has about 25 hours on it since mid-June...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

JFarmer

For sure get a debarker. They are well worth the money and you wont regret buying one! I would definitely get the hydraulic too. Another option you wont regret!
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

poorfarm

oh. ok i did see it in the vid!  i was expecting something bigger with chips a flyin.

sigidi

The learning curve on a Lucas is much easier..... ;D 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

Chuck White

The debarker will extend the board footage you'll be able to saw before changing out the blade!

On average in pine, I can saw between 800-1,000 board feet between blade changes.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SPD748

Highlights of the things I've learned from my time on this site...

If a bandmill is your choice...

Bigger is usually better.
Hydraulics make sawing enjoyable as compared to manual.
A debarker is a necessity.
Support equipment should be figured as at least 50% of your total initial investment.

Just my opinion. Good luck!

-lee

Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

5quarter

Poorfarm...Like Paul said. Manual log handling isn't really that bad for logs under 2k lbs. If you have the time and aren't afraid of work, manual is just fine. If you want production though, Hydraulics will more than 2x your output. That's where they pay for themselves. Brand of mill is not that important, as long as you buy quality. The mill builders who sponsor the Forum are a good place to start. Get something simple, well built and affordable. after a year or so, you will know better what your needs and preferences will be. and $$ allowing, you can start shopping for a bigger mill.
If you're sawing to pay the bills,  debarker is a must. Sawing for yourself...not so much. Counter-rotating your logs can greatly minimize the # of cuts you make into the bark, for example. Keeping your logs clean reduces the amount of embedded grit you have to saw through. Guys like Magicman, Peter Drouin and many others saw for other for a living and make effective use of every advantage to minimze cost and increase production, which puts more $$ in their pocket. smart business. Your circumstance is somewhat different.  Welcome to the Board, by the way.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!