iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New solar kiln begins

Started by Sawdust Lover, September 04, 2012, 08:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawdust Lover

So like I haven't spent enough $$$$ already I started building a new solar kiln last weekend. I have been doing alot of research on solar kilns and took the coarse at Va.Tech. I am building my kiln 16'x 10'. I went a little deeper so I could stack to packs deep instead of just one. I have made the collector "solar roof" a bit larger to make up for the depth. I just hope when I fill it in a few weeks I dont end up with a half cord of firewood. I am installing a large radiator heated by my outdoor wood furnace to help on cold cloudy days. I will keep the pic's updated and would like to hear any advise from other's with solar kilns.
P.S I think my wife thinks I'm crazy. I could have bought a bass boat and I got a sawmill instead.

WDH

I am very interested in following your progress.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bill Gaiche

Bass boats are way more expensive, but a lot of fun. A kiln will be fun and possible put more money in your pocket. Good luck and keep us updated.  bg

Red Clay Hound

I'm thinking about building one too.  I'll be interested to see how your build goes.  Hope you can post pics of your progress.
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Now this is a great post.  smiley_thumbsup

I'll be watching.  smiley_anxious
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Delawhere Jack

The kiln will pay for itself, and a bass boat in short order. Of course, you may end up too busy filling and emptying the kiln to have time for a bass boat. In that case, your wife can enjoy all that the kiln will pay for.......... ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You never stop putting money in a Bass boat. NEVER......It's like hunting and golf. $$$$$$$$$$$$
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

fenceman

.....solar kilns are very cool, Sawdust Lover......I just loaded my first load 2 days ago, very cloudy and I didn't plan for any alternative heat source.  Will be watching to see completion.....how many board feet will your kiln hold with modifications?

pineywoods

I see one problem already, It ain't big enuff  ::)  My experience, you probably won't need the aux heat. Spring for a small room dh unit.. makes a big difference...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Sawdust Lover

It would hold 2500 bf if I were to saw it in 14" lengths. I usually saw my lumber in 10' lengths so it should hold around 1500 to 2000 bf.

Bandmill Bandit

i will be following this one too. Solar/milling waste kiln is in the cards for me this fall I hope>
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Sawdust Lover

It's not big enough Pineywoods? I wasn't sure if i could make it bigger then the Va.Tech version and still have the heat and the circulation from the fans. I'm really hoping it works or I'll be putting a bed in it.

WDH

I think that what he is saying is that nothing is big enough  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SPD748

Excellent start! I, along with many others, will be intently watching. 
                                                                                               pc_smiley

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

pineywoods

Naw I was serious about the size. 16 ft is not a good choice, go for 17 ft. Sooner or later you gonna want to put 16 ft stuff in there. I know...I made mine 13 ft thinking 12 ft lumber would be all I would ever want to dry..WRONG.
Roof panels come in 3 ft width, you will use 6 of them anyway..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bandmill Bandit

very good point Piney. I was thinking 16 foot inside dimension as well. Thanks for pointing that out.

I am wondering how a used shipping container would work to convert to a kiln. they readily available locally in 20' and 40'. Any one have or know any one that has done that? 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Kansas

We converted an old 22 ft, I believe, into a kiln. It was a refrigerated unit. We put the thing on rails and a pipe frame, loaded it from the outside, and pushed it in. We used some kiln wheels I found somewhere. It worked fine when it worked.  We had  a kiln unit  in it and outside of a fair amount of downtime, due to just getting parts, it got the job done. But the system worked well, when it worked.

We also had two solar units years back. I think I can honestly say they worked better than dehumidifing units, up to a point. Virtually no degrade. We did add on a little addition on one and put an old dehumidifier unit there and once it was down to 12% or so, turned it on to help it down, especially in colder times.

drobertson

I have been planning a kiln for years, and just have not got it done, Lots of research, and Memory serves me, I was thinking the solar panels have to be figured for the board footage. I cant' remember the numbers off hand, but it seems like 100 sq'ft per thsd. I will be checking on this I have all the stock,I have just been putting it off.  Good luck on the project,  the only reason I have held up is where to store until I sell.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

pyrocasto

As Piney said, I made mine 17ft as well. It's nice to have the option for 16ft. Though being the dummy I am I havent dried any 16ft stuff that I also cut, because I made the mill cut 15'6" max.  :D :-X

reride82

Quote from: fenceman on September 04, 2012, 09:47:07 PM
.....solar kilns are very cool, Sawdust Lover......I just loaded my first load 2 days ago, very cloudy and I didn't plan for any alternative heat source.  Will be watching to see completion.....how many board feet will your kiln hold with modifications?

Welcome to the Forestry Forum fenceman! There is a lot of great info and knowledge on this forum  8) Pull up a stump and tell us about yourself. I assume you build fences?
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Sawdust Lover

Pinywoods, I'm sure your right about not building it big enough. The pad is 17' wide so inside the walls is 16'. The door will only be 14' plus they say you should have 1' on both sides of the lumber. Im sure if I built it 18' I would have been better off but this is sort of a test kiln. If it works well I will be building another one right beside it. I worked on it all day so more pics coming tonight.

fenceman

Yup ! Greetings, reride 82 and all others......I build fences for a living, but I'd rather be sawing lumber.  I was actually introduced to milling 15 years ago, but we got so busy building the fences we quit sawing our own lumber.  But now, my sons are old enough to enjoy the sawing process, and things are a little slower business wise, so we bought an LT 70 Wood Mizer.......just finished my solar kiln....I had bought the plans from Wood Mizer 14 years ago, built it and it worked great.  A quarry expanded beside our family farm and my parents departed to a new farm.....so FINALLY I have my kiln back, too.  Their plan uses a 20' x 20' layout, with two 220v fans (boy, they hum!).  I put 10-12 AD oak in (5/4, 8/4) a couple days ago........and yes, I believe there are some like minded people in the Forestry Forum discussions I've read thus far.  Most people are fascinated when I describe what we do....but you all do the same things so it's a joy to see how others are doing this and loving it too.

Sawdust Lover

Well I had a rain day today at work so I was able to stay home and work on the kiln.

SPD748

Very nice progress! Keep it going...

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

wesdor

Great job, thanks for the wonderful photos

Thank You Sponsors!