iDRY Vacuum Kilns

100% Backup?

Started by Lud, September 04, 2012, 02:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lud

On the wife's PC, the Forum brings me up as guest , but recognizes me as Lud as soon as I click in.

Just now, it went to a different screen addressed to "Forestry Forum Guest"
offering a sign up today for 100% back up free. 

Seemed scamish to me........I just don't trust free if you know what I mean.

Didn't do it until I asked if this is something all ya all know about...........
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

WH_Conley

Bill

Mark Wentzell

Never saw what you're talking about. Could very well be a scam. I wouldn't do anything until Jeff responds..

Warbird

Can you explain a little better exactly which screen this appeared on?  Are you able to post a screen shot of it?

Ianab

Does sound like some sort of advertising Malware on your PC, not something the Forum is producing.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Slabs

I had some squirrely things happen on two different with forum "Favorites".  Jeff suggested to replace the favorites.  It worked.  Whatever the problem was went away with the deleting of the favorites that I had been using for years.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Jeff

That is definitely not coming from the forum. Sounds like you have an unwanted critter in your computer.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Slabs

Hope you didn't take it that I was alluding to Forum causes.  Only good tech help.  My problem was obviously corruptions that occurred over years of use of the same favorites.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Jeff

Lud

Glad I was cautious.  Haven't seen it since.......
::) ::)
So that could be some malware that just I saw??  Hmmmm??

Well, I'm glad it did'nt affect others.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

thecfarm

I just had a small window that came up about a message that could not be displayed when I first got on. I have no idea if it was some malware somehow from the forum.Or what I mean to say is,trying to show it was from the forum. It did not state where the message was from.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Never see anything like that here. The only thing I have experienced, is something got changed a few months back and I have to log-in every time the browser is closed or computer booted up in the morning, even if login forever is checked. Used to be I never had to login once done, then forgotten. I remember a conversation about login at that time between Jeff and the Doc when the change occurred.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

FYI
I don't lose my login when rebooting the system.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I don't have this happen on other forums. So was thinking it was a change everyone experienced. I'll look into here to see if something is altered in about:config

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Checked everything I know here, perplexing.

Jeff

There is no reason that that should be happening related to the forum, unless, you are using a bookmark to come to the forum created before the last upgrade. If you are using a bookmark, delete it. Then navigate to the forum by typing in the address, login, then create a new bookmark.

SwampDonkey

I don't enter through bookmarks, just email replies. I have deleted cookies and history and checked for duplicate passwords and deleted any old threads I bookmarked in the past. Nothing seems to solve it. It saves the password and username, but I have to select session from a drop down and hit login every time I open the browser and go to the forum.

Jeff

What browser, what version?  Does this occur if you use a different browser?

SwampDonkey

Firefox, but it's happened since way back in earlier versions. Right now I have 15.01. Will try IE 6 here in a moment.

SwampDonkey

Warbird

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 22, 2012, 02:20:36 AM
Firefox, but it's happened since way back in earlier versions. Right now I have 15.01. Will try IE 6 here in a moment.

Are you using "Private Browsing"?  This deletes all cached login information everytime you shutdown the browser.

SwampDonkey

Nope, not that thick headed. ;) The username and password fills in the fields, I have to choose session length and click login. As I said, this is the only forum doing it. I'm on 3 other forums. It all came about when something was done way back during a conversation in a thread I sent Jeff a link to in PM this morning. Maybe he'll recall something. No big deal, it's just odd.

Jeff

What we changed when Doctorb inquired, was simply the default choice on a form field. Not the form itself or the way it worked, so that can't be the problem.  I suspect you are not getting rid of a hidden cookie file.

1. Close Firefox.
2. Go to your profile folder.  Intructions for locating your profile folder can be found here:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Profiles#How_to_find_your_profile

3. Delete the files named cookies.txt (if it exists) and cookies.sqlite.