iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mt. Ranier scenic train tour

Started by redbeard, September 04, 2012, 12:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

Rode the Mt. Rainier senic railroad  logging route by way of restored steam train the other day, it was a good educational trip. www.mrsr.com website has a video that shows what I saw if your intrested in train trips.

They fed us a chicken rib dinner on a lake with this awesome smoker grill made with logging and train parts.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

thecfarm

That would power a few sawmills. How long of a trip was it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

There is always something exciting about a steam engine.  I'll bet the trip was also a treat.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

My wife and I love ridding those old trains, bet it was fun? bg

hardtailjohn

Don't they offer a "cab ride", or is that another RR over that direction?  Somebody sent me a deal to be in the cab for a day and to work toward engineer certification.... can't remember which outfit it was with.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

redbeard

I think so, the engineer has been getting his hrs in for his certificate he looked to be mid 30s. Great opportunity for him to get it. They are all volunteers that do the run. The best train trip we have done so far was Durango to silverton in Colorado.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Bill Gaiche

redbeard, the Durango to Silverton is good. Have done it 3 times. Try the Chama,NM to Antinito, Co sometime if you get the chance. Its good also. bg

shelbycharger400

O SHURE...  I went up ranier in may,  and I missed this !
Im not shure if where its station is at the base of the mountian where theirs box cars and ect? This steamer I seen their.

mrcaptainbob

Brings back great memories. I had the privilege of living off post at Ft Lewis in '66.
One of our weekenders was to visit Point Defiance. It was then about ten years after the last of the steam logging had taken place. Going through the barracks, looking at that GIANT center post that was the base for hauling the logs...amazing.  I-beams that spanned over the train engines and cars loaded with logs were so huge you could drive a small car on their flanges!  These guys ate over 20,000 calories for breakfast! A fact that was burned in my brain for these many decades. And, a challenge I have yet to meet, by the way!!

redbeard

You drove right past the depot that train in your pic is right out front of the depot. Tharts the big town of Elbe Wa.

Thank You Sponsors!