iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hickory vs Pecan

Started by Sixacresand, September 03, 2012, 09:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

I read here that pecan is difficult to saw/manage.  Is that true of hickory also?  I never milled either but have a chance to get some of both.  What makes it hard to deal with?  Appreciate any advice.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Sixacresand on September 03, 2012, 09:10:36 PM
I read here that pecan is difficult to saw/manage.  Is that true of hickory also?  I never milled either but have a chance to get some of both.  What makes it hard to deal with?  Appreciate any advice.

I've sawn Pecan....but it was green .......no problems. If it's dry......great firewood for your smoker.

What degree blade you running?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sixacresand

the Pecan is dead and dry so I might forget that one.  The "hicka nut" tree is alive so maybe i can use it.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WDH

Pecan is a hickory.  There two groups of hickory.  The pecan hickories of which there are several including our traditional nut-tree pecan.  The other group is called the true hickories.  The specific gravity of the hickories is about .7 maybe higher in some species of hickory, and they are among the densest and hardest native woods.  I can only speculate that the hardness of the wood causes the blade to dull quicker, get hot, and wander.  It seems more difficult to cut than other very hard woods like white oak and osage orange.  I have only sawn one dry pecan log, and it was the devil.

I have seen sparks fly when planing dry pecan.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 03, 2012, 09:17:41 PM
Pecan is a hickory.  There two groups of hickory.  The pecan hickories of which there are several including our traditional nut-tree pecan.  The other group is called the true hickories.  The specific gravity of the hickories is about .7 maybe higher in some species of hickory, and they are among the densest and hardest native woods.  I can only speculate that the hardness of the wood causes the blade to dull quicker, get hot, and wander.  It seems more difficult to cut than other very hard woods like white oak and osage orange. 

I have seen sparks fly when planing pecan.

I've seen sparks fly when reading your replies.  :D :D :D

slider

sixacresand,I was with jake and danny on some dry and wide pecan a while back . when they started having problems jake switched to a 4 degree blade and did well with it.good luck  al
al glenn

paul case

I say saw it the experience will do you some good.

My experience with hicory and pecan is

1 watch for sap build up on the blade. You may have to run the lube double or more than you normally do.

2 reaction wood. It seems to have a lot of tension in it. When you start sawing a cant into boards flip the cant often.The last hickory I saweed I made into 3x4-10' parts for heavy skids. when I made the final cuts off the cants some would be so tight they moved enough to fall off the mill when the saw completed the cut.

3The bark will dull your blade even if it is clean. Very hard and brittle and not nice to bandsaws.

4The wood is quite hard. Milling and planeing green may make it more easy to work.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Sixacresand

Thanks guys for the advice and info.  When I get into it, I will be sure to keep the gas can away from the sparks and let you all know what happens.

LeeB

As mentioned, the drier, the harder. If you cut the pecan, you will want to cut a few inches off each end before milling. Your blades will thank you.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sealark37

As noted above, hickory and pecan are the same wood for saw mill considerations.  Everything must be right, circle or band mill, before you start.  You will have to proceed slowly.  Problems will occur as you saw.  A circle saw will act dull, and a band saw will dip and dive like a worn blade with no set.  It is not impossible, it is just 2X the time required.  Regards, Clark

Magicman

Both can be a devil, but I have also sawn both with no problems whatever.  Different trees/logs can and will act differently.  ???   Mature trees seem to behave better.

Pecan logs

Being sawed

A nice whack of lumber 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

Considering all the factors here, I say go for it if the logs aren't too big.  I am assuming, since you're running a LT10, that you aren't in a big hurry anyway.  Pecan can be pretty bland in appearance sometimes, but it can also yield some spectacular color and grain patterns.  Get yourself some 4 degree blades and jump on it!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Riggs

Quote from: DanG on September 04, 2012, 10:14:11 AM
  Get yourself some 4 degree blades and jump on it!

For those of us with less experience than others, why 4 degree blades?....you never know till you ask ... right?
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: DanG on September 04, 2012, 10:14:11 AM
Considering all the factors here, I say go for it if the logs aren't too big.  I am assuming, since you're running a LT10, that you aren't in a big hurry anyway.  Pecan can be pretty bland in appearance sometimes, but it can also yield some spectacular color and grain patterns.  Get yourself some 4 degree blades and jump on it!

Here's one of them bland one, hunh?

The story is in this post: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,14356.msg202358.html#msg202358

POSTON WIDEHEAD

PC....Al  I got to say is "UNREAL". Dem boards makes ya wanna take a bite outta those boards.  :)

Al_Smith

I've got maybe 3-400 bd ft out at my shop I had sawn maybe 6-8 years ago .It was bitternut hickory one of the softer types  .It 's hard just not as hard as shagbark .

It has a beautiful natural coloration to it and planes smooth as silk .Other than rip a few straight boards and plane a few I've yet to do anything with it .As well I have maybe 3-4000 board feet of shagbark still in logs .They are all good bottom logs with no limbs.The limby stuff gets turned into firewood . We have no pecan this far north .

It's probabley a little hard on  HSS planer knives but with carbide saw blades and router bits I doubt it's too much different than hard oak .

At any rate the gent that did the sawing never complained about them being hard and it was on an older LT  15 with a 12 HP pull start Briggs single cylinder engine .

dgdrls

Six,

Go with Pinesol and water lube, take your time advancing through the log.
I cut my first Hickory with a 10Deg. blade second with 9 Deg. 
second log was better behaved than the first so I don't know how much
difference the blade made.

Give it a go!!

first Hickory had tension

second did not

DGDrls

Bill Gaiche

I cut a Hickory log for a 20' header the other day. Used a 10 deg blade 14hp. manual mill. Sawed it on top, back side and place for it to sit on cedar post. It was about 26" butt and 15" little end. It saw quite easy except a little slower and it was fresh cut. Go for it and then you will have some experience under your belt the next time. Good luck. bg

Dan_Shade

why did you split the log?

From my experience, hickory can have a lot of tension.  It's also hard.  I have perfected an underbreath grumble when a customer wants hicory sawn.   hah

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

cutterboy

I sawed several Shagbark Hickory logs this spring and they were hard, but I went slowly through them and did ok. The lumber looks very nice.

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

WDH

Wait until you try to sand the dried boards  :-[.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

i know DR_Buck loves hickory.  I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Sixacresand

I don't have much experience with the blade hook angles, which is something I need to research.  Just a quick look at the WM site, 10 Deg seems to be the only option for the LT10.  BTW, I appreciate all the post on this subject.  I am definitely going to put pecan on the mill and give it a shot.   

WDH

John,

It takes more HP as you go lower in hook angle.  The 10 degree will work as long as it is sharp. 

ellmoe

Yesterday, I cut several hickory logs, 14-18' dia., small end. The logs have been cut for almost a year. I had just put on a new 10 degree. .045 blade so I started sawing with it. All of the logs cut fine. Today I might put on a different hickory and try a 7 degree, .050 blade and spend my time cursing the wood gods." Variety", tiss "the spice of life." :D

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Thank You Sponsors!