iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Labor Day

Started by HousewrightVA, September 03, 2012, 06:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HousewrightVA

Heres what I did. Client wants a table for their home in New York made from a tree from their farm in VA. This White Oak died this year. I really dislike trees this big they sure are a lot of work.

skidsteer logger
Case 1840  440  580B
2016 LT40 Super

Jim_Rogers

It looks like you have the means to take care of it..... especially with that big saw....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

drobertson

Does this mean  he will use Qswn. stock?   In any case, you are right, that is a lot of work! Just getting it to the mill to say the least.  have fun.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

Your a better man than I.I just flat a$$ refuse to mess with those big-uns. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Sixacresand

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on September 03, 2012, 07:11:41 PM
It looks like you have the means to take care of it..... especially with that big saw....

I agree with Jim_Rogers, you got some nice equipment.  Mighty big tree too.  Hope you able to wet a hook in that pond in the background.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

sparky1

Big saw!! Heck of a log!
Shaun J

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on September 03, 2012, 07:11:41 PM

You beat me to it. I'll bet that saw is nearly as long as I am tall...... :-[

WDH

I bet that there will be some interesting grain in that log!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

There will be some grain around those knots that will be more than "interesting".   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mikeb1079

man that's some nice looking land.  nice equipment too!   8) 8)   i have to agree that those big boys are such a double edged sword.  you can get a lot of lumber from them if they're sound but it's soooo much work.  i always wish i had a swing mill just for those big dogs.  will you build the table from start to finish?  milling, drying, building etc? 
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Sawdust Lover

That's alot of work but I get some of my nicest wood out of some of those big monsters. Just watch out for bullets and posted sign nails.

logboy

While others hate those big logs, I love them. They're my prime business.  Just set the Lucas Slabber up around it and start milling.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

slider

I just hope you planned for the extra time that you are going to have in this monster,I'm with you ,don't like them but still get wrangled into whacking them up from time to time.I think it is some form of a disorder but don't worry ,it will pass.  (yea right) 
al glenn

HousewrightVA

I have done enough of these to know about the extra time and work. Other than possibly the design, I will be doing all of this project myself. I am planning to quartersaw this log with a white oak this big seems foolish not to. Besides, it will be quartered before its even on the mill. Not worried about the grain around the knots or even bullets .horseshoes and plow points however...another matter.
I got it this far without finding any arn.
I,ll put pix up as this goes forward, it will be a slow process.
skidsteer logger
Case 1840  440  580B
2016 LT40 Super

thecfarm

Big everything!! Looks like someone does ALOT of work around that place.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

opticsguy

I really really really really really really want that machine with those grappling hooks!!! 

Perfect for big trees and stupid politicians!!!

Seriously, that is one really awesome machine, suddenly my old ford tractor with three point and front bucket looks oooooold fashioned!!!

Kool!!1
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

grweldon

I'd certainly take an old Ford tractor with a 3-point hitch and a front-end loader!  I'm sure you are thankful for it... you certainly would miss it if you didn't have one!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Migal

Quote from: grweldon on September 04, 2012, 02:26:21 PM
I'd certainly take an old Ford tractor with a 3-point hitch and a front-end loader!  I'm sure you are thankful for it... you certainly would miss it if you didn't have one!

I've learned just add to the toy collection never sell good toys never know who will show up and what they want to play with 8) okay I did get rid of a few wive's LOL
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Thank You Sponsors!