iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin Skidder-- what can you tell me?

Started by Okrafarmer, September 03, 2012, 12:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

This skidder the boss man looked at today, he was told is a 1982. I really don't know much about it. Neither he nor I have ever owned or operated a skidder, but this one is at a somewhat attractive price, and he's kind of hankering for one. I want to tell him to hold out for a TJack, but he's drooling. Here's the pic he sent me. I don't know the model, maybe somebody can tell me more about it. I don't understand what little I see of the rear end, either-- is that part of a winch, grapple, or ?  ???

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

JamesE. PikeLogging

looks like a nice ole 170 franklin but looks like its missin the arch and fenders on the rear end

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

thecfarm

Tires look good. Kinda odd the paint job. I mean it's looks new. With no winch or fenders on the back? A project not finished? parts are behind the barn?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mad murdock

The front of the machine looks like a vintage 80's. Could be a grapple skidder without the grapple and arm? Hard to tel from this angle. My brother and I had a new Franklin 132 shortwood(forwarder). They are a stout machine and well built!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

donny hochstetler

I remember seeing this on cr.lst. I think  If I would have to guess I would say it was used in land clearing operations possibly pulling big heavy plows thats why no fenders if I remember it does have a winch looks like somone stuck a fairlead on there I would just raise it up a little  but as far as franklin goes there tough as they get easy to work on fulltime 4 wheeldrive Ive run them a lot in my earlier years

treefarmer87

thats a mid 80s 170, great machine. similar to what i have. probably has a 453 turbo and a powershift. it might have been used for pulling stuff on the farm in the pic maybe ??? i have seen them used for fertilizer app, etc. before. the winch is still on looks like. you could turn it into a grapple easy. W&W truck and tractor in Moncks Corner, SC has grapple assemblies and parts for franklins.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

lumberjack48

I never bought a Franklin, because i was told by many the transmission didn't hold up. The thing is i haven't got a clue if this is true or not. Like i've said in other post's, you put somebody on a power shift with no experience how to run it, he could burn it up in one hour or less.

I always leased a machine for a month or two before buying to make sure there wouldn't be no big surprises. Buying a skidder can be fun and rewarding or turn in to a nightmare, paint just makes-em look good.

I would feel on comfortable buying a Franklin Power shift, compared to a TJ, TF, JD, PB with a stick shift, now this is just my thinking.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Okrafarmer

Thanks, guys, sounds good, I think he decided he needs a bucket truck next, not a skidder. I hope so, because we really do need a bucket truck, it would make a lot of jobs easier.

Maine372

that looks like the mount for either an esco single function grapple or a swing grapple. 

Thank You Sponsors!