iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hauling Logs

Started by Sawdust Lover, September 02, 2012, 08:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawdust Lover

Hello All, I have been a member for a few weeks now and am really enjoying the knowledge on this site. I don't have many sawyers near me where I live so it's nice to be able to chat with you all. I have been a woodworker for 25 years and have a pretty serious woodworking buisness. I bought my Timberking 2000 sawmill a year ago to saw my own lumber and found that you really don't know wood until you start sawing it. I already owned a good size John Deere tractor so I had that covered. I bought the sawmill and built a few buildings to keep the mill in and store the lumber. I just started building my solar kiln last week so I will have almost everything built. So know that I have spent all this $$$$$ I am ready to roll. Just one more problem, I need a way to haul the logs. I tryed to get my local loggers to haul me logs but that didn't last long because it was easier for them to haul it right to the big mills. So I am looking for a way to haul my logs myself without costing me a fortune on a big log truck. I am able to get free logs here and there but I need a way to haul them without breaking the bank. I was wondering how some of you haul your logs to your site. I don't bring my mill to other sites I leave it here at my home.

bama20a

Here is one that is from our famous (well almost,DanG,
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,17613.0.html
Looks like a great way to load afew logs with.
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Tree Feller

Any tandem axle utility trailer will work for hauling one or a few logs. The logs can be parbuckled onto the trailer pretty easily with the addition of a winch, some ramps and sheaves.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

mikeb1079

i use a car hauling trailer, a winch, and a technique called parbuckling where the logs are basically rolled up the side of the trailer.  you can only skid a small log with most winches but you can roll HUGE logs.  my total investment is under $1500 and i can haul around 6000 lbs.  works for me   ;D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

pineywoods

This works for me. The tractor has a front loader with forks..

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Okrafarmer

You can usually get an old flatbed or single-axle dump for around $2,000 or so. I say this with the warning that it will take a little fixing, inevitably, and that could cost another $2,000 or so.....
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

redbeard

This truck has really worked out well for me. Iam not portable and it allows me to mill customers logs at home. I can haul 1000 bf pretty eaisly or around 10K lbs. Its a 86  F700  with the brazilian diesel  wished it had the detroit those are powerful. It is CDL and it costs around 100.00 per month for tabs and insurance. I also use it alot setting big logs on mill.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

kelLOGg

I paid $450 for my tandem trailer, twice that to replace the MH axles and tires and I forgot how much for the Rule winch to parbuckle logs onto it. It's a 4 ton trailer but I limit cargo to 2T because of the truck size. Here I am loading a 16' post oak, 22" diameter. I had to double the line on the winch and it was still a challenge to roll it up.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

This works well for me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

I used to do the same thing, MM, but with my peavey.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Slingshot

Here is my rig;

Tom the Sawyer

I too used to haul home free logs whenever I could get them.  I'd stockpile them until I had enough to make the trip worthwhile and then call a portable sawmill to come saw them.  His WM used a boat winch to load the logs and I used a similar method (minus the winch) to get them home.  This was 20 years ago...

It can be done.   ;D

Tom
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

scsmith42

I use a dual tandem axle gooseneck trailer behind an F450.  The trailer deck is 37' long, which allows me to load a skid steer on the back and some logs on the front.

In this instance, this whack of logs is just a tad too big for my skid steer.... :D

If I did not frequently haul oversize logs, something like a Metavic Wheeler Senior trailer would be ideal for loading, transporting, and then unloading at the mill.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

:D Where did you get those logs?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SPD748

Holy smokes!!! ^^^ Now that's a log!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Sawdust Lover

Thats really interesting. It's neat to see how you all move your logs. I might want to get something a little bigger then the Tersel Tom the Sawyer. That must have been heavy on that little car. Looks like I am going to get a new trailer and set it up with a winch system. Thank you all! Hey scsmith, Do you quarter those logs so you can saw them? Thats one heck of a load.

logboy

The sky is the limit when it comes to hauling logs. 

A word of warning. If you end up doing a lot of hauling with an undersized vehicle, you'll probably end up with a slew of repairs. I'll be spending $3k on a transmission eventually for my Xterra.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

thecfarm

Slingshot,that looks good and simple and not cost a lot too. You turn the whole thing by hand,I mean push it? My logs are getting further and further away from the mill. I may have to build something like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scsmith42

Quote from: Sawdust Lover on September 03, 2012, 08:30:14 PM
Hey scsmith, Do you quarter those logs so you can saw them? Thats one heck of a load.

I sure knew that they were back there when I brought them home! 

My mill is a swing blade, and I produce quartersawn oak almost exclusively.   Fortunately I don't have to quarter the logs before milling.

Those two logs produced over 3,000 board feet of lumber.  They came from a construction site about 15 miles from my farm.  Over in one corner of my shop is some 16" wide QS veneer that I made from them.  The ray's extend almost entirely across the leaves.

There is a log somewhat larger than these on my logyard right now - it's 70" on the small end.  At the loading site I had to pick it up from each side with two different pieces of equipment, and then back my trailer underneath it for loading.  Back at the farm I used a 25 ton crane to unload it from the trailer.

In the photo it appears that I'm standing in front of the stump; actually I'm standing in front of the small end of the log about 12' above the big end cut.  You can see my backhoe forks on the left side in the background, and the skid steer on the right.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Jemclimber

lt15

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum  ;) ;D ;D 8) As has been said get a decent truck for the job as you only end up flogging out a good one if your overworking you personal truck A crane truck or a truck forklift and loader are a good combo too  ;)

JR looks like you have the same Model International 4700  ??? as I have sitting in Joes shed in PA Mines a 97 model 4700 20'bed  dont know what im doing with it yet ???  :) :) its a dang good truck though  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

logboy

Yup Chris, its an International Low Profile 4700. Good truck, just had a new beavertail and hitch put on the back end of the 16' deck.  Its a dog on horsepower though as its an old fleet vehicle so I'm sure the engine is tuned to the low 175 hp setting. I need to get it to a dealer to see if they'll hook their computer up and change it.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Tom the Sawyer

Sawdust Lover,

The car was actually a 1986 Honda Civic Wagon, I think it was rated to tow 1500 lbs.  I usually moved one log at a time but I had a deadline to get them out of the burn pile so I took two smaller ones.  When you really want the logs you use what you can.  That was a great car, I thought it died at 221,000 miles, but it just broke a timing belt.  Cost $100 to fix it but I had already decided to move on and traded it in.

I need to move logs more often, and now I have a sawmill to haul, so I moved up to something more appropriate to my needs.  Here's a couple of freshly cut sycamore logs picked up from a tree service customer's home.

2001 F350 V10 with an 11' flatbed dump.  Trailer is a 20' w/dovetail, rated at 10K and using my design of a log loading arch (as many on here have built) powered by an 8000 lb MileMarker winch.

Much, much more efficient and considerably easier on my back and legs.

Tom
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Sawdust Lover

Tom, That looks more like it. Nice set up! I really got a bunch of ideas the last few days off this topic. I think I am going to buy a trailer like yours and get a used International truck. The price on those trucks looks to be much cheaper on a good size truck then a Ford or Chevy. This way I can use the trailer with my 2500 pickup for a few logs or use the big truck and haul my tractor with forks on the trailer for the bigger loads. I just need to find a truck that dumps in case I leave my tractor at the loading site.

Thank You Sponsors!