iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A walk through of my forest land

Started by Ruffneck, September 02, 2012, 07:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffneck

I received a "Forest Health Advisory" from the Washington State Department of Natural Resources the other day because of the Western Pine Beetles in our area. At least it's better news than the last notice I received from a government agency, which was a notice of "Mandatory Evacuation" from the sheriff's office last summer during a 5,500 acre wildfire that came within a third of a mile from my place:

I own forty acres (16 hectares to my metric using friends) in South Central Washington. The climate is semi-arid with about 12 inches of rainfall annually.
I made the purchase in 2003:

One of the first things I did was walk through the woodland with a local forester. He suggested thinning to help my forest health. I have been working on it in my "free time" ever since and have hardly made a dent in it. Some forest health issues are: The Mountain Pine Beetle, Dwarf Mistletoe and overstocking.

This is a Google Earth view of my property, it's at a 2,200 foot elevation:

A healthy Ponderosa Pine. I get to mill this one someday for my shop, it's in the way ;D

Ponderosa Pine with Dwarf Mistletoe:

Douglas-fir, my dominant trees.

Oregon White Oak:

An example of my stocking level:

Hope you enjoyed a walk through my forest land  8)

Stay Safe!

Mark Wentzell

Looks like a nice piece of land. How long before you bought it had it been logged or has it ever been logged?

Ed_K

That w/oak is kool,looks like it'll wave to ya  ;D .
Ed K

ashes

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I never get tired of looking at different forests. Ponderosa pine is one of my favorite trees. Well to be honest those Oregon white oaks rank fairly high as well.

Ruffneck

I am not sure what the history is of my land is. Some of my pine are around 85 years old, I don't recall seeing any older. I have seen the oak up to 100 years old.

There are signs of a fire coming through the area long ago. I just see charring on some bark and have to look close to see it. I have seen this old stump that was cut some time ago, haven't seen enough to think it was logged.

And another clue is this:

These cans where found in a pile where I have an awesome view of Mt. Hood. I swear I've sat in the very location the person using these cans did years ago. I have felt their imprint as I've sat there ;D What were they doing there?

I like that oak because it's so close to my cabin. Wish they were all that big ;D

Ron Scott

Great country with great timber. I just got back from skiing on Mt. Hood's Palmer snow field.

~Ron

mad murdock

Nice looking treefarm!  Are you near Glendale WA?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

terry f

Nice looking pines, I'm east of you in Oregon, but some of it looks the same. There's a good read at, Small Forest Timber Owner Blog for WA, that might be of intrest to you, and they might be your neighbors. Good luck, and I really enjoy your pictures and videos. Ron, I can't believe you just skied Palmer, good job. Hood must be one of the only places you can really ski in august.

WDH

That white oak looks like an Ent  ;D.

Thinning will be beneficial to the remaining trees health and their ability to withstand beetle attack and fire.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

g_man

Nice woods. So much different from my ledgey and swampy northern Vermont woods. It is nice to see what other places are like. Thanks.

cutterboy

Thanks for the walk through. I love to see woodland from all over. Your forest land is much different from the woodland in central Massachusetts.

Thanks for the pictures
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Ruffneck

So cool Ron :) Snow in September. Now that's sounds fun... Most of the time when there's snow I'm half frozen and half Africa hot.... Just rotate like a hot dawg...

Ruffneck

SwampDonkey

Nice view of your woods.  ;D  I bet those pines are nice sawing and even the fir. The oak tree looks too friendly to take a saw at. ;)

The snow will arrive soon enough. Actually, the best time of year as far as I'm concerned.   yikes_smiley hurt_smiley
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ruffneck

I think the colder the better for pine?
Oh, it's the Moutain Pine Beetle.

SwampDonkey

If you mean the sawing of the pine in the cold, well.....lots of the boys on here don't like the cold for anything. :D ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ruffneck

Cold and high heat:)  :)is everthing in killing MPB ;D

Knute

Thanks. I always enjoy seeing other tree farms.

Ruffneck

On my latest journey through my woodland, I kicked a stump from an area I thinned  about three years ago. The pine stumps come right out of the ground with a well placed kick ;D The oak is a different story all together, they want to grow from the left over stumps... I don't have the time to let the oak rot :)

Ruffneck

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 09, 2012, 02:30:02 AM
Nice view of your woods.  ;D  I bet those pines are nice sawing and even the fir. The oak tree looks too friendly to take a saw at. ;)

The snow will arrive soon enough. Actually, the best time of year as far as I'm concerned.   yikes_smiley hurt_smiley

I haven't been out to the property with my new mill yet. As soon I finish rebuilding the engine in the old truck, I'll be able to tow it there. ::) Just in time for the snow :D I can't wait to saw up some pine to see how it does. After reading some of the posts, I have concerns. Some of these pine are crooked, twist and are knotty. Oh, that knotty, naughty pine :D

SwampDonkey

The mill will straighten it out, for a little while anyway. ;D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ruffneck

So, here I am with my new WM, 40 acres of timber in need of thinning and a dream. I would like to use my trees to build with, which is OK with the local building authorities. The problem I have is picturing how many trees I'll need to accomplish this.
I have read an article in the newspaper a few years back and if I remember right, they stated it takes five log truck loads of trees to build and I believe furnish an average sized US house.
Does anyone know if that is true? How many trees that are 90 feet tall by 22 inches would it take to make a load?
I think I have a problem seeing my forest through the trees. I want the best of everything when it comes to managing this small lot. I would like to have trees to build with and still keep some of the bigger trees and manage things on an uneven age plan. I'm thinking it may be wise to replant with other species of trees not so susceptible to the problems I face.
For now, everything is pretty straight forward... Get out there and thin and burn like mad. I'm starting my campaign on the NE ten acres... That should be done in a couple of days :D :D :D That's the way my brain thinks when it comes to a project.
I wonder if building as I go may work the best to keep my pine straight SwampDonkey... So much to consider and learn. :P
Thanks for listening all!
Stay safe!

Okrafarmer

Well, this is the place to learn. You have some nice looking land there. Any other species besides the three you mentioned?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Ruffneck

Thanks! That's all that's there, for now... The forester said Incense Cedar will grow there... Of course nothing is going to be a saw log in my life time that I plant, so I'm going to have to get good at working with the Pine ;D

Okrafarmer

Well, plant some cedar anyhow, it will help balance out your land.  :)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

SwampDonkey

I know one thing that estimate is way high. We framed a potato shed with spruce off the farm from one straight truck load of logs. The building is 70 feet long, 50 wide and 25 feet at the peek. We had an engineer approve the lumber as we used his building plans. Dad said "It's all #1" Good enough by me. :D
Judging by what people call furniture these days, you can just haul back the sawdust from the mill for that. Waste not want not. :D :D

OneWithWood

Do you have building plans?  If so you can figure out the board footage you will need.  Add 10-15%.  If you know the average size of the trees you wish to cut you can determine the potential board feet in each tree using the calculators found in the forestry forum tool box on the left. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

thecfarm

I have no idea about how many trees you need,but do know cutting the trees,sawing the lumber,building the house will take alot of time. Than cleaning the tops up and cleaning the woods up will take time too. I only built a few out buildings,but it sure does take alot of time to do all of the above. But I sure do enjoy it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ruffneck

I calculated 1500 board feet in the pine I need to cut because it's in the way of my outbuilding. I'm thinking that alone will give me a good start on the 24x48 foot pole barn.
Sounds like I'll have plenty of trees to accomplish my goals without having to cut down all of my nice trees SwampDonkey... I want it all: nice trees, a park like setting, animal habitat and all my lumber needs met ;D ;D ;D
No plans yet OneWith Wood, just in my head... I can tell you I will never build without written plans after throwing my cabin together without them. :)
Stay safe!

SwampDonkey

Hey now, It's nice to cut good ones to. Back east here, a balsam fir that looks perfect at aged 60 is dead and rotten by 90 years. So you gotta think of that to. Just don't high grade the woods and you'll have a healthy woodlot. ;)

terry f

Insence cedar is one of my favorites, I have one that I transplanted 30 years ago, thats about 30 feet now. It was about six foot after 12 years, but really took off. I've been transplanting cedar and sugar pine from my sisters yard in Northern California for years, with few success stories, but the last few years I've been buying cedars and western white pine from the state with better results. Makeing it through that month of 90 degree heat and no rain for two months is tough. Love your videos

Ruffneck

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 05, 2012, 04:32:48 AM
Hey now, It's nice to cut good ones to. Back east here, a balsam fir that looks perfect at aged 60 is dead and rotten by 90 years. So you gotta think of that to. Just don't high grade the woods and you'll have a healthy woodlot. ;)

I have heard about trees becoming over-mature and that does concern me. When I made the purchase there were a bunch of big pines that were dead...
The Forester that walked the woods with me said thinning the smaller trees would help the bigger trees...
I counted the rings on a couple of 6" DBH pine and they are 45 years old. I'm curious to see how they respond to some aggressive thinning. Can't thinning to much to fast be a harmful to the tree?
Yes, that lack of rain and the high temperatures of summer amaze me. The fact that trees are growing at all is unbelievable. It turns to some barren landscape in a short distance from my place.
Thanks for bringing up transplanting Terry f. The Forester also told me to transplant my younger Fir trees. They are pretty thick below the older Firs. They are great seed trees. I just don't know the right way to go about transplanting them. I do know a lot of digging is involved.  :)I'm really afraid to thin to much around them. I don't want the Sun to burn them... And transplanting from such a distance seems risky, but what do I know about any of it :D
Does anyone know how many board feet of lumber come on a standard size log truck?
Thanks for all the great input!
Stay Safe!

Okrafarmer

;D First we would have to define what a standard size log truck is. Around here, a standard size log truck is an 18-wheeler with double bunks.

Clean Image

I had this load dropped off last time I was on the property...

I was told about 7,000bf...I measured this load at about 6,000 but its all WRC and I probably screwed up on what scale I should have used. I hope I can stretch those numbers when I get cutting next week.

Okrafarmer

If you're careful you should get 7,000 bf out of it with a band mill.  :)

SwampDonkey

Can't see why not. We got around 8000 bf scaled veneer onto a tandem truck with pup trailer behind.

WDH

A 25 ton net weight tractor trailer load of SYP logs will saw out a little better than 5000 BF, maybe a little more if the logs are real big.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terry f

I don't know what it will saw out, but its my understanding a normal truck around here, west, is beyween 3500 to 5000 feet, but thats small end on a 40 foot log. Clean Image, I didnt know you could use a drop axle in California, the trucks we send there are 80,000 no matter how many axles they have.

SwampDonkey

On the west coast islands in Northern BC (Haida Gwaii) we were hauling loads like this.

The tires are probably 5.5' high. The logs were 40 feet long for sure, could be some longer. You didn't want to meet on a turn (we had radios) or you might get brushed off the logging road. ;D We called them sweepers. :D You can't see them in the picture there, but the spruce along that road was along a steam valley and were over 200 feet tall. No touchy. ;)

Cedar, spruce and hemlock on this load probably. Cedar the bigger logs. No fir on the those Islands. Way more than 5000 feet on that truck.

I removed the tonnage in this post because we are talking softwoods.

mad murdock

If you have average DBH of 20-22" and 90' of merch log, you should be at about 400-500 bd ft per tree, (mill scale), which would put you at about 3 trees for 1,500 bd ft.  If you are milling it up yourself, you should be able to recover at least 20% over mill scale.  I would say you should get 2,000 bd ft milling those same 3 trees on your WM. FWIW.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ruffneck

Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 12, 2012, 10:14:41 PM
;D First we would have to define what a standard size log truck is. Around here, a standard size log truck is an 18-wheeler with double bunks.

That is a good point Okrafarmer, I was picturing the size that Clean Image posted. I sure would like that load of trees on the "sweeper" delivered to my place  ;D

I'm looking at my Biltmore stick, it goes up to 20" DBH and a log length of 40 feet. That shows 700 BF Scribner. Using that figure, that 90' tree would have at least 1400 BF. When I look at my Wood-Mizer log rule a 21" DBH 16 foot log is 256 BF, five logs would be 1280 BF. What is this greenhorn missing? ::)

Thanks for all the feedback! I am learning tons ;D

Stay Safe!

Okrafarmer

I think your first problem is that you're using Scribner. If you are milling with a portable bandmill, use the International scale. (also printed on your Woodmizer panel). It will be more accurate. Also try out the board foot calculator in the Extras section of the FF, under Toolbox.

The International scale makes allowances for the taper of a long log, whereas Scribner assumes you will only make boards that will fit into the small end of your log. The Scribner and Doyle are not very useful in determining how many board feet you are able to get from a log, especially using a thin-kerf mill, and especially for long logs where you have some taper.

Even with International Rule, I still usually get a significant over-run on most of my logs. 20% tends to be typical for most people, but depending on the size and shape of the logs, and my applications for the lumber, I sometimes get a 50% or higher over-run.

Ruffneck

Thank Okrafarmer,  I found the international rule in the woodmizer chart. Didn't think to flip the chart over ::) I can't wait to cut the tree into lumber and find out what I end up with!
Before milling any lumber, I need to continue the thinning campaign. I talked with the forester from DNR the other day, he's saying I may be eligible for a cost share program for fuel reduction. Cost share or not, I need to reduce the fuel load. It was a big wake up call seeing a wildfire burning out my back door. By all rights, my property should have burned.
Anyway, gonna be a lot it manual labor ahead of me...
At least I'll be able to enjoy a camp fire and sleep in a warm cabin. :)
Stay safe!

Ruffneck

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 05, 2012, 04:32:48 AM

I had a discussion with the DNR Forester the other day and asked about the life expectancy of my Pine. He's say upwards of 150+ years... What does "high grade the woods" mean SwampDonkey. I think that may be what I'm doing ::)

I'll be meeting with the Forester on Monday I hope. Our last discussion didn't sound very promising. There is commercial land across the highway to the west, that has the beetle in it and the Monastery Complex fire under a quarter mile to the East of me that he's expecting the beetle to go after because of the stress.

My woods have come a long way, this is what everything looked like when I purchased it.

I used over 1,000 feet of blue ribbon marking my leave trees today... That really puts this job into perspective. I didn't come close to doing five acres :D  :D :D

240b

Hi-grade... cut the best leave the rest.  the opposite of good silviculture.

Ruffneck

Thanks 240b! Glad I've been marking them right 8)

SwampDonkey

Used to mark 10 acres a day on snow shoes along with trail ribbons. Better to mark above the snow than to mark and have the snow cover them up. ;D One winter, we had a stand of softwoods down in a depression that accumulated 6 feet of the stuff. I don't think the sun ever hit it all winter. It was N slope. That was slow sledding the wood out. ;)

WDH

Be diligent about inspecting for signs of the beetles so that they do not surprise you. 

Ruffneck

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 29, 2012, 05:43:44 AM
Used to mark 10 acres a day on snow shoes along with trail ribbons. Better to mark above the snow than to mark and have the snow cover them up. ;D One winter, we had a stand of softwoods down in a depression that accumulated 6 feet of the stuff. I don't think the sun ever hit it all winter. It was N slope. That was slow sledding the wood out. ;)

I'm looking at snow shoes now SwampDonkey. I'll be investing in a few more rolls of blue marking tape too. If I hurry, I may beat the snow for the marking project. Using blue for leave trees, yellow for potential beetle infected trees, green for wildlife trees and red for the boundaries.

How is it falling the trees in the deep snow? I can imagine it slows operations down a bit. I have come up with a plan to just get thing on the ground so it can start drying. As I've read on another thread, leave the limbs on to assist with drying.  ;D ;D ;D
Quote from: WDH on November 29, 2012, 08:03:08 AM
Be diligent about inspecting for signs of the beetles so that they do not surprise you. 
I am going to do my best with that WDH. The amount of damage an insect the size of a grain of rice can do... I think they are going to choose my saw logs for me :D

Stay safe and warm! :)

Ruffneck

Had my walk through with Dan from the Washington State DNR the other day. I am going to apply for a cost share program that expires in June of 2013. I will need to do fuel reduction on a three acres surrounding my cabin and 50 feet on both sides of my planned access road to be eligible.
It was very educational. The spacing on the trees need to be 15 feet apart from the drip-line. He was saying the trees should really take off after that and that I would need to thin once again after a few years...
After this cost share program is over, I'll be able to apply for a second one that will cover a ten acre parcel at a time... The thing I like about this program the most is the fact I don't have to have my forest in a management plan that has commercial logging as the goal. Like I told him, the only thing that is going to be sold from my trees is a finished product. He seemed to like that...
Buying another MS 290 in a couple of days, my old one has seen better days. 
Looks like I'll have plenty of pine logs to practice making lumber out of! ;D ;D ;D
Stay Safe!!!

WDH

Good deal.  That will make for a more healthy forest and more bountiful critters.

Ruffneck

This is a picture of the area in need of treatment behind me. This was taken in maybe 2005ish:

This is a picture I took this evening. I think the pine with blue ribbon is the same one over my right shoulder in the previous pic.

It was a good couple of days in the woods. I was reminded what I am working for with this view of Mt. Hood:

The great weather gave me an opportunity to pile some dryer dead wood and cover with viz queen:

One thing I've learned is once I get a fire to go "nuclear" I can feed green pine just about as fast as I can stack it. It doesn't run on gas or break down either  :) :) :)

Before starting the 155 mile drive home, I had to take some samples of my trophies of the day and bring them home to study:

My forester says the drip-line needs to be 15' apart and I think this is a perfect example why thinning is good. The smaller trees have tight grain. If I release these trees and the growth ring get bigger, how would that affect the milling of it?
It was fun falling the 17 incher, but it sure is a funny shape.   ;D

Okrafarmer

:D :D :D
You must be so spoiled with such round trees out west. Around here, a lot of mine look like octopus or starfish in cross-section!  ;D

SwampDonkey

You need to bend a little lower to the ground unless your planning on pushing out the stumps with a dozer. Some of them stumps have 3 or 4 feet of good wood left for the toad stools. The first time you hang up on one you'll change your technique maybe. ;D

Ruffneck

I feel spoiled now Okrafarmer. I will have to remind myself of that often ;D
My idea is to come back and kick the pine stumps out in a few years SwampDonkey. I may have to cut the oak and bigger stumps flush. I don't care about the stuff I'm cutting at this time. I'm keeping 12 foot steams and burning the rest for the most part.
I am accumulating some saw logs along the way too ;D ;D ;D
15 feet apart on drip lines is going to be lots of trees. I can't wait to see how it ends up. I think I'll have a much better view in the end :) June 2013 is the deadline :D :D :D

For the record, the battle lines have been drawn:

Ruffneck

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 09, 2012, 02:38:07 AM
If you mean the sawing of the pine in the cold, well.....lots of the boys on here don't like the cold for anything. :D ;)

Let the winter games begin!

24 degrees when I showed yup yesterday :)

Okrafarmer

Have fun in the snow! It rained all day today here, and now I have to go work in the mud tomorrow.  :(

SwampDonkey

I know one of the boys from down in Georgia landed up here in NB the other day and commented on the cold and how his southern attire wasn't going to cut it. It was 2F here yesterday morning. I know I was out with ashes at 6:30 am and no wind, but that cold air was burning my ears. ;D

WDH

Yes, there is a Georgia Boy loose in NB  :D.

terry f

Ruffneck, how much is the cost share now, when I looked at it a few years ago it was $600 an acre, about half for thinning and half for slash treatment, seemed like a great deal.

WindyAcres

QuoteHi-grade... cut the best leave the rest.  the opposite of good silviculture.

That pretty much how it works here.. either take everything (clear-cut) or take the best, easiest stuff. "Who knows whats tomorrow, take it now".
2011 Woodmizer Lt40 Hyd G28, Stihl Chainsaws, Tractor with Farmi Winch, Woodturning Lathe,....

Ruffneck

Quote from: terry f on December 17, 2012, 04:22:08 PM
    Ruffneck, how much is the cost share now, when I looked at it a few years ago it was $600 an acre, about half for thinning and half for slash treatment, seemed like a great deal.

My Forester has me treating a five acre area around my cabin and the future driveway. They will pay $2,400 when I complete it. It needs to be finished by the end of 2013. I also need to document $5,000 of cost. $20 per hour for my labor, $50 a day to rent my saw and drive time.

My timing for purchasing my WM LT 35 couldn't have been better. I sure like it when things come together. :)

Here are some before and after pics of my last trip, 7" of snow and 17 degrees. It really felt good to be out in that temp. Walking in the snow is very tiring though. I just purchased a sled so I can pack everything in at once.

Picture of area before:

Picture of area before falling big pine:

Area after:

So, my idea is to keep my saw logs on the ground until I've completed the thinning of the five acre area. I will then come in with an excavator or skid-steer to move the saw logs to the mill, They're 13 feet long. How long can the logs be on the ground before sawing? It's Ponderosa Pine.

Quote from: WindyAcres on December 17, 2012, 06:10:29 PM
QuoteHi-grade... cut the best leave the rest.  the opposite of good silviculture.

That pretty much how it works here.. either take everything (clear-cut) or take the best, easiest stuff. "Who knows whats tomorrow, take it now".

I'm planning on doing it the hard way, that is the way I do most everything :D I want to leave the best, I will end up with some good logs though.

Thanks for all the help all!  :new_year:

BaldBob

"How long can the logs be on the ground before sawing? It's Ponderosa Pine."

For as long as the temps are well below freezing. Once temps get above about 40deg. F, they will start to degrade,though except for Blue Stain and end checking, there won't be much effect for several months.

SwampDonkey

If those pine seed anything like jack or white pine, that will be a pasture of green pine seedlings.  ;D

Ruffneck

I've been watching to much of the Discovery Channel:
http://youtu.be/bYntSfkJsnk  :D
Those crazy crooked pine!

Thanks BaldBob, it's getting up to the mid 30's at times. We'll just have to see. Blue stain isn't to big of a deal, I'll be using the wood for framing and painting over the siding. I'd like to avoid it if I can. I just want to start with good habits as I begin my venture.

Well SwampDonkey, my forester tells me I shouldn't have to worry about replanting my pine, just thin like mad ;D
I can sure tell the difference between the crowded trees and the ones that had been out in the open.
I am starting to get a feeling that my woodlot is going to provide for everything I'm wanting.

I've come across some nests that the forester thinks is Western gray squirrel. He told me they get a buffer of 50 feet in commercial operations but to just be careful and the thinning will benefit them??? Uh, OK... There are three nests 50 feet apart from one another. Makes me wonder how a commercial operation can produce anything at all ::) I've been falling those trees a little more on target :D :D :D

WDH

Maybe you should audition for Ax Men  :D.

Ruffneck

I did! They want more anger  smiley_furious3  They suggest enrolling in a anger-mismanagement class. Don't see how that could ever work with views like this ;D

Design a home around it:

Feel like I stole it  8) 8) 8)

thecfarm

Start designing. WOW,that looks some pretty.

rooster 58

Wow Ruffy, thats some awesome property you have there. I just love the west. My aunt is trying to come out to Divide, Co. Maybe I should take a looksee ;)

g_man

Very pretty western view. Is that Rainier ??

giant splinter

Ruffneck
That is a beautiful property and an incredible view, great job on the work and planning your doing also.
Keep up the pace and enjoy every minuet of it.
roll with it

BaldBob

SwampDonkey

Used to get views like that up on the Nass River in NW BC. Everything else looked flat around them peaks until you had to walk up and down those smaller hills all day cruising timber and laying out road. ;D The contour maps were pretty much useless. We had to make our own. So that meant up and down those slopes to take slope readings to find the best deflection for the yarder and road placement. :D

Okrafarmer

Seems like they could make contour maps nowadays by radar, satellite, or something like that. Not sure, since I'm technologically challenged. SD, don't you just hate coming along behind and having to redo somebody's shoddy or incomplete work? Or did you think of it more in terms of that you were a pioneer, and nobody else had probably ever stepped (or crawled) on that piece of terrain before?  ;D

justallan1

Great pictures, Ruffneck. Looks like you've found a nice place.

m wood

no doubt, swamp donkey, cruising timbers out there is an experience.  They say 1.5 miles in that direction and you can count on a three mile treck considering the climbs and drops.  Ruffneck thats a dandy chore you got ahead of you...what a view.  My dads side of family live across the river, from Baker (city) to Hood River.  Myself, I was Pendleton (OR) born and raised mostly west of the cascades.  I am curious tho, your in such an arid place, do you expect a blu stain problem as much out there as say, in the more humid regions like south and eastern US?  I miss the mountains and even the foothills.  12 years in western NY now and my 90 acres has an altitude variation of nothin!  From 63' above sea level to 91'.  Just so happens that nearly 30' difference is right next to each other.  my wife giggles at me when i go out and climb it just for nostalgia sake.
Absolutely love your view ruffneck...Adams, Stevens, Rainer, St Helens, Hood, The Sisters, thanks...ENJOY 
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

m wood

oops, i meant 863' and 891' elevation.  if it aint frozen yet, Lake Ontario would be fillin in my hole by now  ;D
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Okrafarmer

:D :laugh: I was wondering about that, but wasn't going to say anything. You live in some nice country. I drove through about a year ago.

BaldBob

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 28, 2013, 07:01:38 PM
Seems like they could make contour maps nowadays by radar, satellite, or something like that. Not sure, since I'm technologically challenged.

Most modern topo maps are in fact made using remote sensing (satelite, Radar, aerial photos, or the latest technology - LIDAR). For a few weeks one summer back in the 60's I worked on a crew gathering data for the 7 1/2 min Quad USGS topo map that covered basically Tillamook county Oregon.  Even back then, most of the topo lines were traced onto a map using special equipment that scanned aerial photos on which numerous elevation points had been established by people like me using altimeters at locations on the ground that were identifiable on the photos. The altimeter readings were adjusted for variations in Barometric pressure by referencing our readings to readings taken every 15 min. at at least two USGS benchmarks of known (surveyed) elevation located in the area that the crews were covering that day. We calibrated our watches each morning, and noted the time of our readings (3 at each location) that we could positively identify on the ground from the aerial photos. As I remember the goal was to have altimeter elevation points no further than 1/4 mile from each other. In the Coast Range in that area even 1/4 mile could mean several 100 feet difference in elevation between 2 points.

SwampDonkey

Yes, they have been done since the 1980's here in Canada by satellite. The problem was the scale was too small to be of much use. They were 1:20,000, we needed 1:5000 to see enough of the ground breaks and the dome shaped knobs that prop up on the hillsides. A lot can happen over 200 meters of terrain. I was never impressed by 1:20,000 aerial photos neither because you couldn't pick smaller ground references very easily. You could see small swamps, but at that scale 20 swamps could look almost the same. Thank goodness the choppers had GPS by then. :D

We was pioneers, just for the fact not a stick of timber was ever cut nor road built before where we cruised. All virgin ground. Some of it still isn't touched where we cruised because of some ground sensitivity issues.

Ruffneck

Hello my FF friends, it's been a while since I've visited. For the record, I can get lost with a GPS:)
That is a view of MT. Hood from the East side.
M wood, I'm not sure how this PP is going to degrade in this arid region. I have a feeling I need to just do the the best I can and see what I end up with. The school of. hard knox has. worked for me so far.
Stay safe!

ashes

Sweet views ruff....

Enjoy those, and your property. Looks like you got a pretty good thing started up there.

JuniperBoss

"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

Ruffneck

Thanks Ashes! Lots of hard work ahead of me, but I'm smiling while I do it ;D

You've got that right Juniper Boss... Woodlots are great ;D

SwampDonkey

Any snow out there? Or are you on the dry side of those hills?

Play safe.  ;)

Ruffneck

The snow has all melted and the ground is getting soft :-\
It's comfortable weather to work in, nice clear skies and all.
I get concerned about it drying up sooner than usual and having the fire season end. That is the only way to dispose of all my slash.
I don't want to run any equipment if the ground is to soft. The local told me when I moved there that the rocks float in the spring. you hit a soft spot out there you'll get stuck good, I know :D

Ruffneck

Unexpected snow today. Fell trees all day, no fires.
Thank you Sir Ernest Shackleton!
(12 DNR hours)

Ruffneck

Thinned up to the drill rig today:

Fun work :)

Forrest277

Quote from: Ron Scott on September 02, 2012, 10:50:38 PM
Great country with great timber. I just got back from skiing on Mt. Hood's Palmer snow field.

wow _ what a beautiful mountain...
Love my Husky ...

Ruffneck

I had just talked to my Forester about the beetles emerging and the time frames. He told me we would need to see a few days of weather in the upper 60s before they'll wake up. Sure enough, the following week it got up to those temps. I was sitting down after a long day of thinning and could see all these insects flying around my new slash I had just created.
After a few days I headed back out to continue my work and noticed boring dust on all my slash:

When I peeled back the bark I could see this Y-shaped gallery:

When I looked closer at the beetle, it was black and the back end was more rounded than what I thought the IPS beetle was supposed to be.

I have since cleaned up and burned a majority of the slash and have started to create some fresh slash to prep for when the emerge again. My understanding its they will have two generations emerge per year. I am trying to keep an eye on these beetle and see when they lay their eggs. I haven't noticed any yet. Not even sure if one can see them with the naked eye.
Any idea what this beetle is? I know the galleries are the key to ID'ing them.

This sure has turned into a big operation. I'm going to bring in equipment next weekend to move my logs to a landing.

I have my new access road cleared and about 3/4's done. 

Hope we get some rain, burning can be challenging. We've had some windy dry days.

I have added my first completed project off my mill:

A cedar slab from Colton to the Piney Woods of Goldendale. :)

Stay Safe!

BaldBob

Those galleries are quite typical of Ips pini.

Ruffneck

My Forester said "You don't need to cut, prune, thin anymore, just finish your clean-up."  :) :) :)

Ruffneck

Quote from: BaldBob on April 22, 2013, 05:02:03 AM
Those galleries are quite typical of Ips pini.

Thanks BaldBob!

Die Ips pini! DIE!!!

Trying to heat up the firewood enough to kill them. Stacking it in my "rocky patch" where it will get the most exposure to light. Don't know if I'll be able to split it before they emerge again. Want them to get hot ;D I'm using 10'x25' 3.5 MIL. $10 a roll. If I'm careful, I may use it as a vapor barrier later.
I hope to rent a six inch chipper for just a day. I never ran a chipper before, it'll be fun for the first couple of hours and then turn into work :D

Almost have the truck up and running, all I need to do is find the distributor.  ::) That's what I get for having to rebuild its' 460 155 miles from home.

Okrafarmer

Ruffneck, that is some pretty steep terrain there! I hope your firewood doesn't roll down hill!  ;)

Ruffneck

Wow! It has been a long time since I've checked in. I have had my nose to the grind stone for quit a while apparently. I continue to grind away...

I have started another five acre cost-share thinning operation and should be able to complete it with less pain then the first one I did :D The Department of Natural Resources will cut a check for $3,800 at completion.

Worked a day in 24 inches of soft snow, it was brutal. The snow is more compacted now so I can stay on the surface.
I find limbing to be much easier in the snow so I'm going like mad to get everything down and cut up other than the saw log trees I'll get later.

The stand I am working is near the power and a spot I want to put in the shop. The trees were getting devastated
by the pine beetle in this area for a while now. This is a video showing a before operation: https://youtu.be/IoDFYLtZ82g

Stay safe!

Thank You Sponsors!