iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A walk through of my forest land

Started by Ruffneck, September 02, 2012, 07:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffneck

I received a "Forest Health Advisory" from the Washington State Department of Natural Resources the other day because of the Western Pine Beetles in our area. At least it's better news than the last notice I received from a government agency, which was a notice of "Mandatory Evacuation" from the sheriff's office last summer during a 5,500 acre wildfire that came within a third of a mile from my place:

I own forty acres (16 hectares to my metric using friends) in South Central Washington. The climate is semi-arid with about 12 inches of rainfall annually.
I made the purchase in 2003:

One of the first things I did was walk through the woodland with a local forester. He suggested thinning to help my forest health. I have been working on it in my "free time" ever since and have hardly made a dent in it. Some forest health issues are: The Mountain Pine Beetle, Dwarf Mistletoe and overstocking.

This is a Google Earth view of my property, it's at a 2,200 foot elevation:

A healthy Ponderosa Pine. I get to mill this one someday for my shop, it's in the way ;D

Ponderosa Pine with Dwarf Mistletoe:

Douglas-fir, my dominant trees.

Oregon White Oak:

An example of my stocking level:

Hope you enjoyed a walk through my forest land  8)

Stay Safe!

Mark Wentzell

Looks like a nice piece of land. How long before you bought it had it been logged or has it ever been logged?

Ed_K

That w/oak is kool,looks like it'll wave to ya  ;D .
Ed K

ashes

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I never get tired of looking at different forests. Ponderosa pine is one of my favorite trees. Well to be honest those Oregon white oaks rank fairly high as well.

Ruffneck

I am not sure what the history is of my land is. Some of my pine are around 85 years old, I don't recall seeing any older. I have seen the oak up to 100 years old.

There are signs of a fire coming through the area long ago. I just see charring on some bark and have to look close to see it. I have seen this old stump that was cut some time ago, haven't seen enough to think it was logged.

And another clue is this:

These cans where found in a pile where I have an awesome view of Mt. Hood. I swear I've sat in the very location the person using these cans did years ago. I have felt their imprint as I've sat there ;D What were they doing there?

I like that oak because it's so close to my cabin. Wish they were all that big ;D

Ron Scott

Great country with great timber. I just got back from skiing on Mt. Hood's Palmer snow field.

~Ron

mad murdock

Nice looking treefarm!  Are you near Glendale WA?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

terry f

Nice looking pines, I'm east of you in Oregon, but some of it looks the same. There's a good read at, Small Forest Timber Owner Blog for WA, that might be of intrest to you, and they might be your neighbors. Good luck, and I really enjoy your pictures and videos. Ron, I can't believe you just skied Palmer, good job. Hood must be one of the only places you can really ski in august.

WDH

That white oak looks like an Ent  ;D.

Thinning will be beneficial to the remaining trees health and their ability to withstand beetle attack and fire.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

g_man

Nice woods. So much different from my ledgey and swampy northern Vermont woods. It is nice to see what other places are like. Thanks.

cutterboy

Thanks for the walk through. I love to see woodland from all over. Your forest land is much different from the woodland in central Massachusetts.

Thanks for the pictures
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Ruffneck

So cool Ron :) Snow in September. Now that's sounds fun... Most of the time when there's snow I'm half frozen and half Africa hot.... Just rotate like a hot dawg...

Ruffneck

SwampDonkey

Nice view of your woods.  ;D  I bet those pines are nice sawing and even the fir. The oak tree looks too friendly to take a saw at. ;)

The snow will arrive soon enough. Actually, the best time of year as far as I'm concerned.   yikes_smiley hurt_smiley
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ruffneck

I think the colder the better for pine?
Oh, it's the Moutain Pine Beetle.

SwampDonkey

If you mean the sawing of the pine in the cold, well.....lots of the boys on here don't like the cold for anything. :D ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ruffneck

Cold and high heat:)  :)is everthing in killing MPB ;D

Knute

Thanks. I always enjoy seeing other tree farms.

Ruffneck

On my latest journey through my woodland, I kicked a stump from an area I thinned  about three years ago. The pine stumps come right out of the ground with a well placed kick ;D The oak is a different story all together, they want to grow from the left over stumps... I don't have the time to let the oak rot :)

Ruffneck

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 09, 2012, 02:30:02 AM
Nice view of your woods.  ;D  I bet those pines are nice sawing and even the fir. The oak tree looks too friendly to take a saw at. ;)

The snow will arrive soon enough. Actually, the best time of year as far as I'm concerned.   yikes_smiley hurt_smiley

I haven't been out to the property with my new mill yet. As soon I finish rebuilding the engine in the old truck, I'll be able to tow it there. ::) Just in time for the snow :D I can't wait to saw up some pine to see how it does. After reading some of the posts, I have concerns. Some of these pine are crooked, twist and are knotty. Oh, that knotty, naughty pine :D

SwampDonkey

The mill will straighten it out, for a little while anyway. ;D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ruffneck

So, here I am with my new WM, 40 acres of timber in need of thinning and a dream. I would like to use my trees to build with, which is OK with the local building authorities. The problem I have is picturing how many trees I'll need to accomplish this.
I have read an article in the newspaper a few years back and if I remember right, they stated it takes five log truck loads of trees to build and I believe furnish an average sized US house.
Does anyone know if that is true? How many trees that are 90 feet tall by 22 inches would it take to make a load?
I think I have a problem seeing my forest through the trees. I want the best of everything when it comes to managing this small lot. I would like to have trees to build with and still keep some of the bigger trees and manage things on an uneven age plan. I'm thinking it may be wise to replant with other species of trees not so susceptible to the problems I face.
For now, everything is pretty straight forward... Get out there and thin and burn like mad. I'm starting my campaign on the NE ten acres... That should be done in a couple of days :D :D :D That's the way my brain thinks when it comes to a project.
I wonder if building as I go may work the best to keep my pine straight SwampDonkey... So much to consider and learn. :P
Thanks for listening all!
Stay safe!

Okrafarmer

Well, this is the place to learn. You have some nice looking land there. Any other species besides the three you mentioned?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Ruffneck

Thanks! That's all that's there, for now... The forester said Incense Cedar will grow there... Of course nothing is going to be a saw log in my life time that I plant, so I'm going to have to get good at working with the Pine ;D

Thank You Sponsors!