iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WILD CHERRY benches

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 02, 2012, 03:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've been working on these for a while and finally put the last buffing on them last night.

These are 2 WILD CHERRY benches made from the same tree. The tree was old, so I cut out the rotten part of the slabs and worked up the good wood.

The legs are ELM trees.  ;D ENJOY!

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

AK Newbie

Thanks for sharing the pictures!  As always you have produced some beautiful pieces.  Each time I see your pics I am inspired!
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Mark Wentzell

Those are some very nice benches.

I like the one with the integrated chisel rack.  ;D

LOGDOG

Beautiful benches. What's the scoop on that dozer in the background?  ???

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: LOGDOG on September 02, 2012, 06:02:06 PM

I fight Wildfires for the S.C.Forestry Commission / 26 YEARS.

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Riggs

David, thats some good looking work, thanks for sharing.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Buck on September 02, 2012, 06:37:05 PM
David, why are you HOLLERIN?

I'm not hollering Buck.....that's just the way I write. Not really into this typing stuff.  :)
I changed it so it want hurt your ears.  :D

Magicman

Very nice indeed, David.    smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

will the bark fall off of the legs?

where do you sell your benches?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dan_Shade on September 02, 2012, 09:11:08 PM
will the bark fall off of the legs?

where do you sell your benches?

Good question Dan. I saw some cabin furniture for sale in a hunting store a few years ago. I ask the same question.  :) The guy told me as long as the furniture stays inside and does not get wet, the bark will stay on. So I'm about to find out for myself.  ;D

I just hang on to most of my benches......but oh, I have sold a few. When people come by the mill, they see them in the shed and they may ask about them. So when they ask.....I just ignore them or give them a short answer  :D. After that, they can't stand it......they buy it. If I try to sell them, no one buys them. If I ignore an interested buyer, I hear....."Take a check?"  :D

I just found this website: http://www.ehow.com/how_5904074_preserve-tree-bark-furniture.html
It may or may not be true.......but I'm trying this method.

Larry

I like the way you rounded over the ends.  Did you do that with a belt sander?

I know for absolute certain bark will stay on walnut if cut in the winter.  Sawed a few thousand slab clocks for school industrial arts program.  Not sure if it works with other species...and not sure if you guys even have a winter. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Larry on September 02, 2012, 10:07:27 PM
I like the way you rounded over the ends.  Did you do that with a belt sander?

I know for absolute certain bark will stay on walnut if cut in the winter.  Sawed a few thousand slab clocks for school industrial arts program.  Not sure if it works with other species...and not sure if you guys even have a winter. :)

Hey Larry, As soon as the slab comes off the mill, I roughly round the edges with my chainsaw. I will then stack and sticker the slabs for 2-3 weeks to let the surface dry. Then I smooth the edges with a belt sander and then stack and sticker again for about a year. I prefer air drying to kiln drying. Kiln drying tends to take a lot of color out of Cherry.

Tree Feller

Those are some good looking benches, David. Gotta love that wild Cherry and Elm has long been used for chairs due to it's strength. Your picked two wonderful woods.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Okrafarmer

Looks like a blade, not a scoop.  ::)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

I think I'd be more worried about the bark coming off the cherry than the elm. After all, people's legs will be against the cherry bark.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

Wow!  I love the way that you accentuated the forks/divisions in the stem.  Those are beautiful.  You are inspiring me to build some benches.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Yes,as the past posters have said,very nice. WOW!!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Warbird

Those are nice!  There sure are a lot of talented folks around here.

LOGDOG

Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 03, 2012, 12:27:09 AM

Looks like a blade, not a scoop.  ::)

I meant scoop as in details .... 450, 550 ... forestry kit....etc. I've got a 450 so obviously I know it's not a scoop on the front.  ::)

WDH

I have named the first bench, "Moby Dick".  I guess that must make you Capn' Ahab  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 03, 2012, 08:21:24 PM
I have named the first bench, "Moby Dick".  I guess that must make you Capn' Ahab  ;D.

That's funny you said that Danny, cause my wife, Julie named the other bench, "PAPER CLIP".  :D :D :D

WDH

:D :D

Looks like Moby has some barnacles on his lower jaw.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 03, 2012, 08:30:35 PM
:D :D

Looks like Moby has some barnacles on his lower jaw.

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!  sail_smiley

Thank You Sponsors!