iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TK1220 drive belt replacement - HOW??

Started by opticsguy, September 01, 2012, 12:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

After only 14 hours on my TK1220, the Goodyear drive belt broke.  Got a replacement same day at the local supplier and would like to install the new belt.

My question;  How????   Do you unbolt the engine to get the belt on the pully?  Do you remove the band wheel?   Do you use those new hand held "Expander Guns" that temporarily expand material objects that return to the original size in a few hours?   :-)

Thank you for your expertice!!
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

paul case

Is this the belt on the pulley that the blade rides on or the one form the engine that drives the blade?

The ones on the  blade wheels are easily explained and demonstrated here.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jnbLFKvJoI

You dont have to take the wheel off if you have enough room to do it on the mill. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

thecfarm

That's kinda odd a belt did not last more than 14 hours. Sounds like my luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ladylake

I'd guess it needed to be tightened and burnt up, even if the motor has to be loosened it's only 4 bolts, no big deal.  Also with a loose belt it would be hard to cut straight lumber.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

opticsguy

The drive belt is the belt from the motor to the band wheel.  The belt was tight, just broke. There are no signs of wear on the broken belt, looks brand new, not even dirty.   The new belt is stiff, strong and impossible to get on to the pulleys.  I removed the motor pulley with electric clutch but the belt tension is much too high to reinstall the pully. 

Before I start moving engines I will wait for a reply from TK for advice unless someone with replacement belt experience chimes in.  thanks!!!

ladylake

Your going to have too loosen the adjustment weather it's the motor sliding on slots or something else, no way should you put on a new belt without adjusting the tension. Also if you have a manual it should be in there.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

opticsguy

Ladylake, 

Thank you, as always you are correct.  An easy four bolts loosen, slide motor, install belt, slide motor, tension belt while tightening the four bolts. 

Maybe I read the manual too fast but there was nothing in there.

Thanks again!!

ladylake

I read your other post about your mill being 2 years old, that would explain the broken belt.  If sitting a long time the belt will stick to a pulley  and be real hard on it when turned again.   Steve

Thank You Sponsors!