iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Luck was with me today, but the bad luck was 1st

Started by Chuck White, August 31, 2012, 09:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

This morning I just got started sawing a Black Cherry log.

Made the first two cuts and when the second one was finished the sawhead wouldn't return to the head of the mill.  Wouldn't go forward again either.

Well, I pushed it back to the hitch end of the mill and disconnected the battery and opened the control panel.

A broken finger on the feed drum switch.  :o

That was the bad luck.

This is the good luck.

I remembered that I had saved the old up/dn drum switch that I replaced late this Spring.

So, I got the broken drum switch out of the control head and the truck was headed for the house.

I took one of the fingers out of the old up/dn drum switch and drilled out the rivet on the feed drum switch and was back in the truck headed for the mill.

Got back to the mill and within 15 minutes we were making sawdust again!  ;D

Total time lost 1 hour and 45 minutes. 8)  The mill was 8 miles from the house!

That's not bad, when at first I thought I wouldn't be sawing again until Wednesday the 5th.

I suppose a spare drum switch will be on my next order from Wood-Mizer.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Delawhere Jack

I see a spare parts bin in my future. The quick disconnect gas line fitting came apart on me Wednesday. Left the job and got PVC -CPVC -ABS glue, didn't work.....Second trip offsite, went to a marine supply store and got a whole new fitting. $21 for parts, but I lost 1/2 days milling. Still managed to earn a decent amount that day. One of the perils of running an older mill......but it sure beats having having a big payment due each month!  ;D

woodmills1

when I first got a used LT 40 and sawed on the road I bought everything

nothing broke for years

then a drum switch went.  took the part I bought,  wow was the other one

looked at part numbers looked at boxes   called woodmizer

wow you bought them long ago we had a boxing problem back then

send me new part didn't ask for old part, didn't charge shipping

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jim_Rogers

I had a drum switch problem a while ago. They accidently sent me the wrong part. They sent me the drum switch for the machines in Europe. No indent in the forward switch to lock it in forward motion.

So I called them and they next day aired me another switch. You know what, the wrong one a second time.

They did finally send me the right switch.

And as mentioned "no questions asked"....

Jim Rogers

That's what makes WM a great company.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

John_Haylow

2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

drobertson

Had the same  thing on the foward/ reverse drum, called and got the part on order, but before the call ended talking with the tech, he said," I'm not saying this, but you can get by with a paper clip in a pinch"  Well, dug out one fixed it on a lil tweaking and it works! I pulled it out switch and all and waited for the part, just saying you never know what you might need to do to get by. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

pineywoods

I think I posted this once before, but I can't find it so here tis again. Look at the up-down switch. There's one set of contacts that are closed with the handle in the neutral position. Steal that contact and use it to repair whichever one is broke. Up-down will still work, the head will drift a bit instead of stopping where you want it. ie, no brakes. May not work if you have accuset....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

Yes Piney, you responded to my post that I made when I changed the up/dn drum switch this past Spring.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,58019.0.html
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Slabs

I love it when you fix something that's supposed to be replaced.  I've extended the life of drum switches by building up the contacts with silver-bearing solder.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Jim_Rogers

In my cases, it hasn't been the end where it makes the contact that fails. It breaks off at the base......

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Chuck White

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on September 03, 2012, 08:10:40 PM
In my cases, it hasn't been the end where it makes the contact that fails. It breaks off at the base......

Jim Rogers

Jim;This one broke off in the first bend from the attaching screw.

I just had to drill the rivet flange off and set the replacement finger in place.

All in all, it went well.

DanG

When the drum switch on my MD went out, I opened it up and found a whole bank of contacts that weren't being used.  I just rewired it to the new bank. 8) 8)  My joy was shortlived though, when it burnt up again within a year.  I replaced it with a much stouter one from the local electric shop.  I have no idea if the old one was OEM or not.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!