iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

We lost another fellow logger

Started by KyLogger, August 31, 2012, 07:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyLogger

I have not had time to post in a while, but I thought this warranted attention anyway. Last week a local (Morehead, Ky) logger was killed in a tragic accident. While cutting timber he hung a tree up, evidently the dozer was too close when he tried to free the tree. Tree kicked back off the stump, pinning him against the tractor. Before he passed away one of the guys on his crew got a phone call out to the boys mom, and he was able to say goodbye to his mother and tell her he loved her and to relay the message. While I did not know the logger personally am familiar with the owner of the outfit he works for.

I am sure the family could use some prayers.

Be safe out there guys,

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

James Arsenault

Prayers for the family from here!!!

Mark Wentzell

Meadows Miller

Not good news at all  :( sounds like he was a younger bloke too  ??? my thoughts are with his family and friends .

4TH Generation Timbergetter

lumberjack48

very sad , very sad, i know the feeling being pined, the wife sawed it off me. I remember her sawing, i don't know how she lifted it, she doesn't remember that part either. I was lucky she was there.

Sounds like this poor boy didn't have a chance, in a split second your dead or your life changes for life.

Like i always say look, look again, and take that extra step guys.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Magicman

This tragedy hits close to home with all of us that are so closely associated with logging.  My condolences are with the family.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

We lost one of our loggers this past week as well, a young man. His mother was my blade sharpener for a few years.  A good family, Our prayers are with all of them, and should be with all the loggers on a daily basis, this work is brutal.  But our Lord is faithful!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

That is so sad to hear. But at least he got to say good bye,if that counts for anything at all. Sure did help his Mother I bet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Migal

Sorry to hear that. Condolences are in order ! Our prayer's are with his family.
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

CuddleBugFirewood

mkindustrial

Ed_K

I say a few word for all of us at night.Rita an I were talking last night about what to do in case's like this.I carry a cell,whistle,and she just added a plastic flashing light.Hope we all stay safe anyway.
Ed K

Autocar

Sad but its part of the logging business, and like Lumberjack 48 look and look again and even at that stuff still can happen.
Bill

stoneeaglefarm

I will throwone up to whom ever these folks felt was there God, As I teach a young kid in the woods this year I always have that little fear in my head that such things will happen, I am sure it was a true accident and i hurt for all that were family, Friends and fellow loggers.

Okrafarmer

I've had close calls like this too. Including one where I ended up pinned by my chest all alone with no communication device. Thank God the pressure was not enough to kill me and He gave me the strength and insight to get out of it.

Another time when I felled a tree, the end bounced up, hit me in the chest and threw me ten feet to the side.

We always have to think things through.

Praying for the families of both the men mentioned in this thread.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

lumberjack48

The one that got me guys, it was 1 in a million that it would fall, it was that 1.

It wasn't like i didn't know what i was doing, i fell trees 30 yrs, this is what i did for a living.

Don't ever walk away from a situation, take care of it, even if it looks secure. I mean even like a log on a pile that looks like it might roll down, stop an make sure it can't roll, or roll it down.

Its really sad the family lost this young man. Heres a picture of me in bed waiting for the wife to get me up, this was taken about a week ago.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Okrafarmer

Thanks for posting that, LJ48. We all need the reminder.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

bigred1951

i live in morehead. i remember reading about that in the paper. so sad. wish the best to his family

thecfarm

bigred1951,welcome to the forum. What's the story behind the red truck? What kind of wood business you do?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ibseeker

thoughts and prayers to the family of that young man.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

redprospector

The wife & I will pray for the family of this logger.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

bigred1951

thecfarm..

the red truck is a 51 gmc. it was my stepdads then my papaw bought it off of him when i was 9 or 10 and gave it me. My papaw passed away so im pretty attached to it lol. Papaw rebuilt the breaks and got it running when he got it and i learned how to drive in it. So imagine how excited i was and what a work out being only 12 or 13 and driving that around on the main roads, no power anything and double clutching and high n low. i got lazy and let it sit once for a couple years cause it needed a radiator and a water pump so finally forked out almost 800 bucks to have the old one recored. Now its been sitting in the driveway for about a year and a half cause it needs a battery and i havent had the money to spare. but i know with a fresh battery it would fire right up as always

Thank You Sponsors!