iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mimosa wood?

Started by grweldon, August 31, 2012, 04:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

I have a 12" dia. Mimosa tree that was damaged by the county when they were mowing the right-of-way that borders my property.  Has anybody seen this wood in lumber form?  Wondering if it will be worth the time to buck into length and use for woodworking projects?  The tree is relatively straight, at least the butt end, for about 8 or more feet.  It will be a small log, but might be interesting to mill.  Anybody ever done it?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I just looked in the www. and I saw some REALLY nice bowls turned from Mimosa.
I believe I would hang on to that tree and let it dry.
Then market it.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ely

it doesmake some pretty lumber.

Clam77

How did they damage a 12" tree enough to kill it like that??   :o
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

grweldon

Well, the tree isn't really dead yet and it was growing at quite a strange angle and we had quite a bit of rain in the few days previous.  In my neck of the woods they use those boom mounted rotary cutters to mow ditches.  They are basically light-duty backhoe booms mounted on the side of a tractor and they hydraulics are quite strong.  The disloged and displaced the roots of this tree which was on the right-of-way.  The root system probably wasn't terribly healthy.  The tree still has leaves on it and it might live over the winter, but I doubt it.  I'll see if I can't snap a pic and post it...

Thanks for all who replied as to the appearance of the lumber...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Claybraker

I don't know anything about the lumber, but I've tried to kill a few of them. It ain't easy.

grweldon

Yeah, around here they say they grow like weeds!  I've tried to transplant a few to preferred areas... they all died!

Texas Ranger

Some folks call it American mahogany, and has some similar appearance.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

1woodguy

Hi
Is it the one with the pink flowers?
If its dried believe it or not smells like mesquite and is used by some for smoking only has a milder flavor
  I cut down a bunch a decade or so ago  on one property we bought the mimosa and small black locust were taking the place over
saved some short 10/15 inch wide sections most logs were not worth messing with to small
Ended up using it some for band and scroll projects nice looking wood for something different

Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

Thank You Sponsors!