iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blame it on Isaac

Started by Bibbyman, August 31, 2012, 08:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

The rain from hurricane Isaac was moving in.  We needed five more pieces to complete an order.  I went out at first light and had three of the five made.  The last two were only two more cuts away.  I turned my back to offbear a board in time to here the dreadful sound of blade hitting metal.  Yep,  hit the back support by maybe 1/4". 

I had just enough time to shut down, put the Terex away and head for the house.

Suppose I could apply for hurricane relief for the loss of the blade?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ely

YA GOTTA LOVE IT,.oops not yellin.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Its always when your just about bloody finished aint it Bibby  :) :) ::) ::) ;) :D  and if your paperwork is anything like what we have to deal with here it would be better to just put the time into sawing as it would cost you 5 times what the blade cost in lost time  ??? ::) ::)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

barbender

Blame it on Isaac if you want Bibby, but the bottom line is it is good for novices to see a seasoned veteran blow it once in a while ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Meadows Miller

:D :D to true but with no pics it never happened  smiley_lipsrsealed ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Bibbyman

If the front from Isaac hadn't been moving in and I hadn't been out before breakfast, sawing with lights on and in a hurry, maybe I wouldn't have hit the back support.

If I can't blame Isaac, I'll blame Mary.  She's usually out there to keep me from screwing up.   But she was still in the house getting the girls ready for the bus.
Sawing since '94

Bandmill Bandit

hey Bibby
I havent been milling any where near as long as you and we dont get hurricanes up here, but the excitement of a customer driving up the drive way with several nice size elm logs distracted my attention away from a job I was just finishing up on some nice pine cutting 3"x10" X12' ers. I didn't just brush the top! I hit the darn thing just below the roller and cut and 1/8th inch groove in it.

Seems I have to do that every 100 hours and this strike was the 5th and worst time and I was just  under 500 hours on the mill when I hit that thing the 5 th time since new. It is the FIRST time that I totally destroyed a brand new band and a Stellite one at that. and left a permanant scar that can not be erased with out some serious and careful "body work"  ;D

I will tell you that I do NOT allow any thing to distract me any more! At least not yet! but then I have  not seen a hot blonde with a couple of cold beers adn a hammock over her shoulder walking up the drive way either.  :D 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

John_Haylow

It's not hard to do Bibby. ::)
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Magicman

Anytime we get distracted, bad stuff can/will happen to any of us.  Thanks Bibby for keeping us honest.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Joanie

I think I might have started a trend :-[
Yes this gal loves Grease and saw dust. Oh and my cat and my honey.
Lt40hd 24hp Onan, Husky 359 that runs when it wants to, Polan Wood Shark at the mill,starts every time, 1994 Jeep YJ.

Magicman

No, you just "continued" the trend.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Beaudeane

I'd say as long as u didn't loose an appendage, a mis whack with a saw is just a minor glitch in your day. It coulda been worse.
Don't think of it as `gun control', think of it as `victim disarmament"

drobertson

Bibby, not too bad man, Murphy's law back into full effect.   I hit the claw turner a few years ago, a large knotty pine log, knots so bad, in a hurry, well the first thought was I knew these knots are hard but Really? then reality sunk in.  I was on a portable job, and yep, for all to see.  I will send a pic of the cut line.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bibbyman

Gentle rain all morning. This afternoon we were in the eye of the storm and it slacked off somewhat.  Got 1.8" so far.  That's more than the past 6 months total.   Still it's only dampened things down. 

I went out and finished the order and loaded the deck.

Predicted to get another inch to two inches tonight as the system moves east and we get hit by the backside of the storm.
Sawing since '94

drobertson

may be a double post, but here is one for the books as well, knotty pine large knots obstructed my view, and  in a hurry 

and of course the usual trying to keep a good back stop.  Yep in a hurry again.

It just happens, been maching steel for 25 years, lots of knot heads, and now machining logs, still a knot head.  got to laugh!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bandmill Bandit

:D LOL Dr

I am not so lonely now. I though I was the only one that was capable of doing this as bad as I did. You have made my day.

You will notice that the roller is a little rusty and the bolt is pretty much brand new in the pic. That cause the old one is not very round any more.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

cutterboy

Bibby, I like your thinking. First blame the weather and if that doesn't work..... blame your wife. :D :D :D  However in your case I'd be careful. I don't think I'd want to anger any woman who runs a saw mill. whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

No, I did not do this, the previous owner did.  It had to make a racket and some sparks.

Bandmill Bandit

It is a GREAT relief to know that I have NOT hit the turning claw!  YET!! :D

bandmiller2

You fellas be thankfull, a band is really not that expensive,run a 50 bit headsaw into ferris and your one broke dude.Trouble is its always a new band that mills the backstops shorter. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

I've been extra careful lately, because it's really been a long time since I've hit metal on the outside of a log!  Part of the mill, that is!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

No doubt about it a 20 buck blade is far cheaper than the circle mill.  Any thankfully, most of the miss hits have been on resharps, so the loss is a bit less, none the less, there is always the ever present get er' done mentality, which can quickly equate into @#@$$%## moment, 

Bibbyman

Aha! Shucks.   That's not a cut!  This is a cut!

And this is the DoubleHard blade that did the cutting!  I sharpened it and kept using it! 
Sawing since '94

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 31, 2012, 05:33:53 PM
No, I did not do this, the previous owner did. 

Magic.....and we're suppose to believe that?  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Migal

Dang Bibbyman If your going to blame Isaac for that kinda want's me to go back seven years and see what you blamed Katrina for  8) JK

I believe ya MM
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Dan_Shade

ouch, i'll bet that clamp was screaming about getting hit!

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

paul case

I wish you guys would let it go already!!!
A week or so ago I read a thread about rolling a log off the back, then the veryy next day I do it. Then I read an old thread about breaking bands and lo and behold i broke 2 old bands in the last few days. Now it looks like I will cut a notch or 2 in something in the coming days. Thanks a lot! ??? ??? 

I can blame Issac for a good rain we needed it badly( but I guess God knew and sent him our way).PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

If I do it, I will admit it.

I did try to saw my clamp like Bibby's.....twice, but not nearly as deep.

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Bibbyman on August 31, 2012, 09:02:25 PM

Aha! Shucks.   That's not a cut!  This is a cut!

And this is the DoubleHard blade that did the cutting!  I sharpened it and kept using it!

Bibby; Sir!

I Bow humbly in the presence of the esteemed master of experience and sawing expertise.

It is very apparent that I am yet a babe in the mastery of the art of sawing steel with my woodmizer. SIR!
I have much to learn from you! smiley_book2_page

Seriously! That cut would a hurt just to hear it. Thanks for sharing it. I do feel much relieved that indeed I do fit in here now.

May be not as well as Bibby, even though I am Northerner and I do frequent this site a fair bit I am not, how ever, driving and SUV pulling a uhaul just crossing the mason Dixon line. AND even if did decide to do that it be in a Dodge 4X4 pulling a trailer I built and a Wood Mizer behind the trailer. 

Bibby; Thanks for making me feel more welcome here than I have ever felt before!  eh eh 

JustinW_NZ

Just out of interest has anyone ever put a metal blade on (if there is one that big) and cut steel on purpose?
Or is all steel cutting just for fun 'n' giggles  ???

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Bibbyman

We're setting in the Isaac doughnut hole this morning and have been in it for the past 18 hours.  Fog, mist this morning with less than 1/10" of rain since midnight.

NOAA is not real good with its predictions.  Isaac was predicted to move east and we'd get a lot of rain from the backside. Not moving much at all.
Sawing since '94

beenthere

Bibby, how much rain fell total?  (edit, just read your duplicate post that you had 2" ;) 
Will be hoping it continues going north into WI. See now that the heavy rain is just south of CHI town.
Was predicted to swing east and stay south of us.
Fingers crossed.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JustinW_NZ

I hope all of your in the storms path are ok, just watched some footage on the news! no so good  :o

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Bibbyman

Pretty much a dud here.  NOAA said we should get 6". Warnings of flash floods,etc.  Rained 2" and then drizzled out.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!