iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Timer

Started by Autocar, August 30, 2012, 08:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Well he was older then me at least  ;D I pulled into the sawmill log yard this morning and there was one semi ahead of me plus a pickup pulling a old trailer. A old fellow got out after he saw me pulling my chains off and I walked up to his truck and he asked me how the heck do you get these nylon straps to release ? He had two brand new three inch ratchet straps holding this 16 foot black oak. Asking me what kind of tree it was telling me it had been cut at his house and wanted to recoop some of the removeing cost. Asking me what I thought it was worth, the butt end was thirty inches and the other was 13/14 inch the butt looked like a sponge with white mold. The top was about the same. I told him that they wouldn't even buy red oak from me and not to exspect to much ,he says two/three hundred  ::) I say forthy/sixty if they even buy it. He says that won't even pay for these straps I smiled and said welcome to the world of logging  ;D On my last trip in there today I saw it was throwed off to the side.
Bill

fishpharmer

Autocar, great story.  I just wonder how folks like the old timer and craigslist ad authors get the idea a log or two is worth so much?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

mikeb1079

QuoteI just wonder how folks like the old timer and craigslist ad authors get the idea a log or two is worth so much?

i wonder that too.  it's often the same with used tools.  i've actually seen used tools for sale for MORE than the current new price.  i guess some folks just think that anything of theirs is worth top dollar?  goofballs.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

mills

How many times have you had someone get upset when you told them that you wouldn't cut the two oaks they had in their back yard?

What part don't you understand?  "You can have all of the money!"

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

drobertson

It aways seems like folks with a few trees are on one end or the other of the spectrum. One guy just wants the trees gone, the other guy has an attachment.  I have taken many of these from folks. I will pay the going rate, 300/thsd. or try to convince them to let me cut the logs for them.  I just almost hate hard trees, seems like there is always junk in them.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!