iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not for the faint in heart.

Started by eddiebo, August 29, 2012, 03:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

eddiebo, there was some blueing, some bug holes. I just cut the logs, the nephew did the construction for his uncle, this is like his third of fourth cabin. He likes the 6" top to bottom 7" inside to out. As you can see there is some miss match, to make them perfect there can be just a smidge of taper.  He scraped the bark and did some power washing too.  He treated the bottom few I heard, and He used spikes, thru pre drilled holes, spaced them with that pink or blue sill plate air bubble stuff between logs. I will get a finish pic for you, they built a comlete wrap around porch with allot of the remaining lumber. Like to call it side lumber but it was'tn
they ended up using car siding for much of the interior. Oh yea metal roof,  Just pretty modest, but nice, they are good folks,  all in all if you plan your job, you should have a pile, if I remember right a 21" straight log will make four of the D-logs, you can draw it out to scale in some sawdust and get a good Idea, lest you have a cad program, and big plotter,   msg anytime would be glad to chat,    david,  have a great week-end
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

eddiebo

If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

Woodchuck53

Can't stress enough the need for up keep on the pine logs. What ever you attempt to preserve it with keep at it. Here in central Louisiana the logs coming in from Longview are showing there age pretty quick in those log home kits. Two families have already bricked the gable ends up because of the rot. The back wall of another is going to need replaced because of the splash on from the eaves that MM is talking about. Just thought i would share because I realize the work it takes to put one up. Stay safe.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

eddiebo

Think I will have to rethink my building logs and try Cedar. The pine logs I have been cutting are not as solid as I thought they were. They are coming apart from being too dry.

They are not in good shape after debarking and stacking them. Sun finished them off  :(
If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

Okrafarmer

Cedar should do you well, but like anything, cut it as live as possible, and dry it well. The sapwood especially can rot.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!