iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

my mill making noise

Started by petefrom bearswamp, August 30, 2012, 06:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

I recently started milling without my ear muffs to see if I can detect any anomalies with the mill.
Plus my hearing is shot so what the heck.
the second day i heard a squealing/ rubbing sound coming when I lower and raise the head.
My help has never mentioned this.
I have never adjusted the mast pads, so went thru the manual and did this.
No help still makes the noise, but not all the time.
I lubricate with ATF in the AM and after lunch.
Any hints out there?
Thanks Pete

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

tyb525

Bad bearing in the up/down motor or gearbox?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

riverswamp sawyer

Put your ear muffs back on.......that should fix it....... : ;D

MartyParsons

Hello,
Cover on the motor sometimes gets pushed in. Against the cooling fan on the up down motor?
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Peter Drouin

HI pete,  if you take off the big cover above the up and down motor with the engine off , and run it you might find something, maybe some sawdust in there where it;s not supposed to be, :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

ear muffs always help me hear weird sounds.  Even if you don't want to hear them.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Surely you can raise and lower the head without the engine running.  It should be easy to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from then.  Just wondering.   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!