iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bibbyman visits TimberKing

Started by Bibbyman, March 11, 2004, 08:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Will Johnson, the President of TimberKing in Kansas City and I had been passing e-mails back and forth when I mentioned we needed to update our dust extraction system at our sawmill.  He said he has a 5hp unit that should do the trick.   Yea,  looked like it would work out fine.  

Having decided that,  I also decided it would be a great time to take Will up on an invitation to come visit TimberKing.  So Friday morning,  Pro-Sawyer Mary, her helper Brooke and I loaded up and headed west down I-70 to Kansas City (Or as Brooke called it... "Kansas Silly").  

We rolled into the Woodmaster Tools and TimberKing parking lot about 9:30 or so having missed the morning rush hour.  For an ol' country boy,  TK was easy to find – only about a mile and two easy turns off of the 435 loop heading north from I70.

Will greeted us and took us through the office area to their warehouse, demo, training and mill delivery area.  They don't have a showroom but welcome visitors and have many of their machines setup for demo. We got to see the dust blower we were buying and some of the Woodmaster line of planers, shapers, and surface sanders.  

We passed thru their blade sharpening room and into the area where their mills are final inspected and delivered to the customer. There was a happy couple there picking up and being trained by Tim Collins on their B20 mill. Tim is also one of TimberKing's service techs.  He told Mary he was heading to Tennessee on Saturday to deliver a mill.

We didn't intrude on the training session but went on to look at other items you don't normally know they have.   Turns out, TK has a number of small items useful to the sawmiller or woodworker they don't widely advertise - the dust blower being one of them.

When Grandpa Bibbyman pulls out his camera,  Brooke knows her function.  I told Will I'd have to charge him modeling fees.  They paid Brooke off with a nice TK hat.

Here is another idea I had that someone thought of before I did.  I'd been thinking of how to attach a seat to our mill.   This one is made to slide into a receiver hitch.

We loaded up our new dust blower and headed over to where the TK mills are built and assembled.  What a surprise!  It's an underground operation – literally underground.  On the way over Will explained that the area under Worlds of Fun along I435 had been (and still is) mined for limestone.  A vast industrial park had been built in the area opened up.  Although a bit eerie,  the idea of taking the operation underground saved a lot in utility and maintenance bills.  

I must say I was a little alarmed when Will said "Just head down that railroad track leading into that tunnel. Oh yea,  you better turn on your headlights."  It wasn't possible to get a picture that would describe the environment.  It was like a labyrinth of roads forking off in every direction with traffic, trucks parked at loading docks, etc.  Will would direct, "Turn to the left here. You're coming up to a stop sign right around this corner.  Got to watch out for 18 wheelers here."  I'm just pulling my head down lower and straining my eyes to adjust to the dark areas.

Came up to a large overhead door and went through a walk in door beside it to the area where the TK mills are fabricated - the major metal components that is.  We got to see the process from cutup, frame welding, to major sub assembly of frame and head.  

Here are a couple of 1600s ready to go down the street to the area where they do the final fitting and assembly.

Back in the Durango,  we went maybe a mile deeper into the depths of this underworld to where the Woodmaster machines and TK mills are final assembled.  

Inside this area we met Bob Steen and took a close look at a row of drum sanders that were being final assembled and cleaned ready to be crated.

We headed through this area to where the TK mills are final fitted. I kind of expected it to be more like an assembly line but it was more like a custom build station with each mill setting in one of two bays having it's wiring, hydraulics, etc. completed.  We inspected a B-20 with 15hp electric motors that was being built for a customer in West Africa.  This was really a special unit as the motors had to be 50hz.  

Then back into the Durango for our exit out of the underworld.  Don't try this without a guide.  There is nothing familiar to orient you so you know what way go!  I felt like I should have dropped breadcrumbs or something.

In about 10 minutes we were back at the Woodmaster Tools/TimberKing office and saying our goodbyes.  Brooke made a couple of new friends as she always does and we had a real interesting tour and visit.  

Thanks Will for having us. 8)

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

LeeB

HAve to say I enjoyed my tour of the caverns when I went to pick up my mill 4 years ago. You wouls never know all that stuff was there just looking from the outside. It really is quite a large complex. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

:DNo wonder the middle of the United States looks so empty.  Everybody is underground.   Tiimberking......The guvment.....
The Mormons,  :-/ :)

rs1626

SO WHAT DIDYOU THINK OF THE B-20S CONSTRUCTION

sawwood

Bibby you whent right by my place on you way to TK.
 we are just 2 miles off I70 at the 291 ext. If you git up
 this way again stop by, the shops all ways open. How
 is the new dust blower? Like to see some photos.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

ARKANSAWYER

Does Baker know you are spying on TK now? :D :D :D ;D
  And just think of all the grif you give me over my blue truck and shirt. ::)
  That was a cool deal now I want to go check it out.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Kevin

Very interesting, well done Bib ...as usual.

Sven Christiansen

I'm stunned they let you into their facility.

And then I'm stunned they let you out!

At least Mary was smart enough to wear an orange t-shirt so you guys would be easy to find in the dark underground...

Sven

Bibbyman

Thanks guys for your comments on my post.  We had a business reason (the dust blower) for being at TK but it was really nice of Will to take two hours of his time to give us a tour.  

Here is the blower we picked up.  5hp 220v single phase with cast aluminum housing 6" inlet and 6" outlet.  I'll have to check but I think it is rated at 6,700 CFM.  When I get further along with the project,  I'll start a new thread with details.  Right now,  we've got it mounted and wired.  No plumbing.

I'd recommend that any FF member that gets an opportunity to stop and visit with one of the Forum sponsors to do so and report back.

Rs...

The overall quality of construction of the TK mills is very good.  

Sawwood,  

Yea,  and you know I thought of that and also Larry Copas and your TK buddy Ron and a couple of others.  Arrangements were made on short notice but it would have been nice to have met at TK or a nearby coffee shop for a visit.

ARKANSAWYER,

Will specifically mentioned he'd like to meet you.  And he didn't even sound sarcastic! :D

Sven,

You may have noted that I wore my Forestry Forum hat instead of my favorite ol'style Orange Wood-Mizer hat.  Will didn't let me linger around the customer very long.  Mary's orange shirt has "Warden Sawmill" on it.

Another picture of Helper Brooke. 'Cause she's so Dang cute. :)
Note the two hats. :D
Sawing since '94

Kevin_H.

Bibby, Looking forward to seeing how you set everything up, we have been scooping up the sawdust with the bobcat, but its getting to the point, we are going to have to do something else.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Bibbyman

Here is a link to the dust extraction system we rigged up on our older Super.  It has a link to more pictures of the system.

Handy things around the mill

The old 1hp blower just couldn't keep up with the new LT40HDE25 and,  after heavy use for five years,  it'd earned it's retirement.
Sawing since '94

Jacar

We drove up to KC 2 years ago to pick our 1220 and a great time.  It was the middle of Jan, 20 degrees w/ snow on the ground.  We met at the office, Chuck Farley showed us around the place, and then he said," Follow me and we will go pick up your mill."

He mentioned something about caverns, but I didn't quite understand what he was talking about.  Anyway we drive in the side of this hill, and Bibby ain't kidding, you could get lost in there.  The amazing thing was the nice comfortable temp inside the caverns.  Wished we could have stayed longer, but we had a 13 hour drive back to Houston.  

Jacar
Jack Watkins

oldsaw

disinfectant....

BTW, you passed even closer to my house than you did sawwood's...but he didn't tell you that did he.

Those guys are great.  Have to stop by to say hi to Dave every now and then.  Man I want a 1600, but I could hardly justify a 1220, and I don't have anywhere to put it.

One of these days....

Next time, Bibby, we want a heads up.  I almost stopped by to see you two weeks ago, but just didn't have the time.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Bibbyman

It's pretty hard to get me to the big city anytime.  And I felt I was taking a pretty big risk just getting to TK.  I sure don't want to get in there and get "ganged up on" buy a bunch of TK guys.  Now me AND ARKANSAWYER,  that'd about equal things out.

WM has an open house/field days down in Mt. Vernon, MO. each spring.  Pretty straight shot south of KC and near Springfield (Bass Pro, Grizzly,  Table Rock, Branson, etc.)

Me, Pro-Sawyer Mary,  ARKANSAYER and a bunch of others from the FF are about always there.  Come on down!
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

OH  Yea!  Bibbyman and I can sure stir the pot but when I needed back up He was no where around.  It took all three Baker Boys to throw me over the fence. :D  But we will take all comers and eat them under the table.
   I need to get up there and see Will and check out that underground factory.  I will have to apply for a travel visa and get my passport updated along with my shots. :o
  I have not seen when the MT Vernon show is going to be yet.  There is one down at Benton AR the last of April and I wanted to slip down there.  It is the IN-WOODS EXPO and is to be a big forestry sawing show.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

I just noticed it'd been just about 4 years since we installed the TK blower.  I thought I would give you an update.

It just keeps working fine!   8) 

We have on occasion sucked up something too big - like the size of a pack of cigarettes – and it has jammed the propeller.   But we've just shut it down as fast as possible,  pulled the pipe, and cleared the obstruction and turned it back on. 

Sawing since '94

Dave Shepard

That looks like a cool place to work. There are a few place like that around here, they used to grow mushrooms in them. :D

I would rather have a blower like yours for our mill than the monster we are running, it's a bit underpowered at the moment, but would suck up a large cat. ::)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Interesting tour.Brooke sure has grown.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bibbyman

Last Tuesday I got home from making a delivery and Mary gives me the good news.  The TimberKing dust blower was making noise.  So she checked it out and some of the fan blades are missing.  Well,  it's been in use about every day for the past 5 years.  It's moved a mountain of sawdust and it has eaten all kinds of chunks of stuff it shouldn't have. 

I got on the horn with TimberKing to see if I could get a replacement blade assembly.  No problem!  They had one in stock and would try to get it out yet that day.

To avoid delivery problems,  we asked that it be sent UPS.  No can do. As the only shipping service they have is FedEx.   Ok.  We'll have to give them one more try.  They have disappointed us every time so far.

Days passed.  Friday got here and there was no sign of the package from TimberKing.  Mary called down there and found that it had shipped on Thursday and got the FedEx tracking number.   We poked that in the FedEx web site and it said the package was "out for delivery".   It got to be 4:30 and no package.  Called FedEx again.  (Each time you have to go through a dozen menu options to get to a person.)  They told us what the computer said – out for delivery.  But they said it could be as late as 7:30.  About 5:00 I checked the web site again and it said, "Retuned to distribution station – could not find address."  Well,  FedEx lived up to our expectation.  They failed.

Mary got back on the phone, went though the menu options and talked to their representative.  They said it would be shipped out on Saturday – maybe.   We gave them directions. 

The status Saturday morning was that it was still at the distribution station in Columbia.  Mary gets on the phone again and goes through all the menu options to talk to a representative.   Yea,  it was still there.  But they would be open from 10:00am to 2:00pm and she got the address.  (The phone number of the distribution station is unlisted.)

We got on MapQuest and find the place and drive over there.  We get in and they know about the package being returned and have notes on directions.  A guy goes and gets the package.

Mary gets her pound of flesh.  We asked the guy why the delivery guy could not find our address as you can poke it into MapQuest or Google Earth and it will come right up.  "Don't the drivers have any kind of locating systems that they can use to locate an address?"  "No."  "Don't they carry phones that you can reach them by or can call a customer to get directions?" (Our phone number was on the shipping label.)  "Only their personal phones."

There was really no excuse other than the delivery guy didn't want to come out in the country for one package.  We were told that the ground delivery guys were contracted so they have little control of them or over them.  "In an effort to save costs."

Anyway,  we got the part and I got it on and it works now.  8)
Sawing since '94

Kansas

I cringe when some supplier tells me they are shipping FedEx. I have had nothing but trouble. On the other hand, the UPS people are great to work with. I have one drivers cell phone, and if I have an overnight package we need early in the morning, I can call him and he will put it on a truck that I can meet at a church about 6 miles away in the morning. There is usually several of us there waiting. I have even called him when it turned out he was on vacation-he made the contacts and got the job done anyway. I wonder if Will knows the trouble some of us have with Fedex.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Kansas on May 17, 2009, 09:14:14 PM
I wonder if Will knows the trouble some of us have with Fedex.

Are you talking about Will Johnson?  I asked about him when I made my phone call.  The guy said Will had been gone for a long time.  What's up with that?
Sawing since '94

woodhick

I've had the same problems with Fedex,  never any problems with UPS.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Kansas

I had no idea Will was gone. I haven't talked much with Timberking since we no longer have one of their Talon edgers. Always figured I would wind up with something of theirs in the future. Hate to see him go. The strange part is, I check out their website from time to time, and see what they have going on. Will is still quoted on the "about us" page, and still shown as president.

sgschwend

I was disappointed with Fedx when I found that their $2 lower shipping rate was offset by their $12.50 pick-up charge.   It took me about three shipments to figure out where the extra charges were coming from, since the pick-up charge was not reflected in my online order price!

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Thank You Sponsors!