iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something I haven't done in a long time

Started by Joanie, August 30, 2012, 05:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanie

Yes I had the mill a singing cutting pine 2x8x16s, droped down to 2", half way through that sound of blade in metal.
I sawed the adapter clamp, I felt so stupid. The blade was a brand new Timberwolf my couson gave us to try out, 4th log, had to change the blade. So yes after many hours and boardfoot sawed, whenyou get on a roll you can forget about that little clamp. >:(
Yes this gal loves Grease and saw dust. Oh and my cat and my honey.
Lt40hd 24hp Onan, Husky 359 that runs when it wants to, Polan Wood Shark at the mill,starts every time, 1994 Jeep YJ.

tyb525

4th lo, you might've been due for a fresh blade anyways. Depends on the size of the tree though.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

customsawyer

Don't worry about the small stuff. Everything is small stuff. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Yup, your lax moment has visited us all and we do get humbled occasionally.  I guess that it just goes with the territory.   The sun will shine bright on a new day tomorrow, so let's all just enjoy it together.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Guilty as charged. I hit the main clamp pad on my second day with the mill. I was amazed the blade actually cut through 1/4" of steel about 1 1/2" wide. :-[ I'm guessing resharp will tell me that band is toast.........

giant splinter

Joanie
You are in good company,I bet there are many of us that have done the same thing and though Im not sure I suspect no one has cut all the way through a clamp as yet.
If anyone has perhaps they should post the blade brand and specks.
I admit to doing this my self (once) and I have been extra careful to eyeball the hight position of the blade when I'm cutting close to the deck.
Hang in there ...... I suspect it is much worse the second time you do it.
roll with it

Okrafarmer

I hit one once. I'm a member of the club, too!
8) 8)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Chuck White

Yup, I'd pretty-much say we have all hit "mill" iron!  :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

woodmills1

It really isn't your sawmill till you cut into it

and roll a log off the left side due to no stops up ::) :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

tyb525

I have cut a stop once, and on a couple occasions I have been able to stop about 1/4" away from one (good thing about a push mill)

I sawed the corner of the clamp once.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Sixacresand

Yep, I cut into log stops and clamps.  Mostly when I get too hot and tired (hot Stupid).   :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Brucer

Now if you were to upgrade to a newer mill with the 2-axis clamp, you wouldn't have to worry about leaving saw marks in the clamp for everyone to see. Trust me, you cannot leave sawmarks in that clamp.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

mometal77

Life happens it could have been worse right???
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Nomad

Sliding the blade across the top of the clamp is the fastest way I know to take the set out of the teeth. ::)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Sixacresand

Well I know better than milling on Sunday.  First thing I hit a log stop.  Then I burned my hand on the muffler, which I ran cold water on it for 20 minutes to take the fire out of it. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Joanie

Yes this gal loves Grease and saw dust. Oh and my cat and my honey.
Lt40hd 24hp Onan, Husky 359 that runs when it wants to, Polan Wood Shark at the mill,starts every time, 1994 Jeep YJ.

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!