iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

trailor decking

Started by drobertson, August 30, 2012, 02:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Hi guys, and Joanie, since I think she is the only woman on the forum I know of, This post if in reference to an earlier post on trailor floor decking.  There are so many designs of trailors that one paricular cut of a board in size and width cannot hardly cover the spectrum, but I have found that on the most common 16' and 18' car hauling type that have the factory pine flooring using the dimensional 1-1/2 stock that slides into the welded angle iron flanges, can be modified to 1-3/4 and coped to fit on each end, leaving the board above the angle hold down. This faciltates flat dragging objects off without the interferrance of the end angle iron.  It does work even after the normal shrinkage that happens thru time.  We use the bottle jack technique around the axles to bend the boards over and the just slowly slip them into the flange.  Pretty slick, no cutting or welding and the end of the trailor.  I'm sure there are those who know this but I just thought while I was putting off shoveling my last pile of sawdust I would mention. This bowl of ham and beans have kinda shut me down for a spell.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

drobertson
Quotesince I think she is the only woman on the forum I know of

Not the only woman by a long shot. Maybe just the only one you know of...   ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

hey beenthere, I think bibby's wife Mary is a pro, just not sure if she is on, thats' all I know, Well there  is customsawyers wife,  yea , I guess I missed a few, sorry, I am still new to yall's brother/sisterhood. Still love it.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I have seen posts from several different ladies during the past 24 hours.  Also look at the little gender symbol below the user name.  Some might surprise you.   There are also some that frequent other boards.

Also check out who the Moderators are on the General Board.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I mainly wanted to share a little trick on trailor decks, and I should've just made a simple post.  The only comments that have been made have been on the gender of the members.  I guess I should have made a general post,

beenthere

Ok, its a good trick.

And thanks for sharing.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

drobertson, You could post this in the other thread about trailer decking. It isn't only about the species.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

drobertson

yea my bad again, no worries, I messed up again, pretty sure this won't happen again, sorry to the women that keep us going,   good night, and bye,   david

WDH

I wish that I would never mess up again!

I am interested in the technique that you describe.  Can you post some pics?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on August 30, 2012, 09:07:28 PM

I am interested in the technique that you describe.  Can you post some pics?  Me too
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

I will try to give you some pics, not on trailors now, but this is how it goes.  Messure the lenght of the trailor between front and back.  Messure the flange on the front and tail side,  cut with a skill saw, the depth of the thickness of the angle or channel iron webbing and the depth that you need to allow for the boards to go in under the flange. Then chisel the the stock out by hand.  Put the bottle jack under the board, near center, jack up, then insert each board front side first, then slowly lower the jack as you guide the tail side into the flange.  It really goes easy, you can always go deeper with the clearance cut so long as it has the clearance of the existing flange. This will allow anything laying on the bed to be drug off without ripping the angle or whatever is holding the board down.  It just should be a 1/4" or so thicker than the  original.  most trailors are fitted with stock 1-1/2 stock.  It is a little work, but just figure the time spent on torching and re-welding. We have had some folks bolt these tail ends in, but when replacing with oak, It really is not necessary. 

WDH

Now that is slick!  I like the fact that the trailer boards are proud of the flanges so that stuff won't hang up on them (like logs that I drag up on my trailer).  I need to re-do my trailer floor, and I am going to go with your technique.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Dang, you told me just a little late. I have snagged logs on the angle a lot. Well, I guess when the ole white oak wears out I will get another chance, that should only take 20 years or so.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

drobertson

Sorry about that!  There is so much to learn from everyone,  it just takes time, and lots of experience, trial and error, is what it is all about.  Too bad for me, lots of error.  thank  God for more trees!    david

drobertson

HBJ, got to looking at your beautiful deck! Nice work man, If you could sacrifice a piece of plywood, or cdx, and cut off a piece, find a way to do a quick couple, to the side of the tailor that just over hangs the flange, (when you need it)  you can save that nice finish. I love the natural look much better than diesel/oil stain any day. Just saying find a easy way to hold down the skid just when you need it then put it up, or down under, lots of ramps are stored under. Just saying nice floor, If you can do that there is a way to protect it... later,  david

tyb525

Hey that looks great, I agree it is a pain when a log catches on that angle iron. Raising the wood above the angle iron is a great idea.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Nomad

I had never thought of cutting the wood thick and trimming the ends either.  Great idea!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

shinnlinger

So you don't put any fastness in at all?   
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Kansas

I have found that a lot of construction companies do not was wood higher than the steel for their heavy equipment uses. These are like the lowboys that have 23 1/2 inch wide runs, and the 33 inch center runs. They just feel it will tear the wood up too fast. They are particular about that when it comes to outrigger boards. I realize that doesn't apply to your application, and the way you do it works good. I don't know that you would need much fastening to your system. We also have cut a lot of wood for those WW stock trailers over the years. Those are the ones where the floor runs crossways.  Some people have wanted to go thicker, and have asked me about it. Just cut the flange metal pieces off, lay your floor in, and put the flange pieces back on and weld them back in. (have a water hose handy) You shouldn't have to bolt them down at all. Eventually when it dries, you may have to add another board.

Al_Smith

Pretty neat idea but what ever you use as far as lumber it's going to shrink a tad bit .We most generally use white oak and counter sink carriage bolts about like they did wooden pick up truck beds back in the day .They last a good long while .

Of course when it comes times to change the decking you have to torch the bolts off from the bottom of the trailer .Fact last month or so I redecked a small utility trailer on which the plywood lasted about 15 or so years ,carriage bolted .It wasn't that big of a deal,maybe a couple of hours ,good to go for another 15 ,cheap too .

Nice job on the decking BTW .

Kansas

We generally recommend using the trailer screws, or whatever they are called. Drill a hole through the wood from the top, down through the metal, then use the screws. They are either torque or square headed, can't remember which now. No getting under the trailer to take the screw off when you have to replace the deck. By the time the floor needs to be replaced, get two or three guys on 6 foot pry bars, get the floor popped off, cut the screws off, and redeck and drill new holes.

pineywoods

Quote from: nomad on August 31, 2012, 05:36:02 AM
     I had never thought of cutting the wood thick and trimming the ends either.  Great idea!
I do the same thing most of the time. Usually use a router to trim down the ends, but I have, in a pinch, used a chainsaw...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

I sawed a ΒΌ" kerf across the boards and then used a wood chisel.  This gave me the raised profile on my decking boards when I slid them in.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!