iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not for the faint in heart.

Started by eddiebo, August 29, 2012, 03:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddiebo

Started logging standing dead pines monday, and getting four 12 ft logs per tree out of the eight I've logged. Grateful that all are great logs so far. Average log is 22-28" at the base. All I can say is this old Marine has been put through boot camp all over again. Gonna break to recoup tomorrow, and get back at it. Got 47 to go at the front of the property. Haven't gone to the back to count yet. Whewwwww!!!!!!! Stacking them off the ground, and debarked. Any additional tips? Will try to post pics. Had solid exterior stain given to me. Can I use this on the end of the logs?
If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

Okrafarmer

Ooooh, be very very careful cutting dead pines. Very dangerous, sometimes.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

MJD

I dont think stain will be any benifit. Oil paint, latex paint is better than nothing but a wax sealer is best.

thecfarm

What are you hauling them out with? I cut the dead ones for firewood. But by the time I get to them the logs are long gone in them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

And where do you live, and what species of pines are you cutting?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

eddiebo

Hauling them out with my Silverado pickup and a 16 ft trailor. Live in Central Texas, and Lob Lolly Pine is the species. These trees are good all the way up. No tops are breaking when felling. Whole tree stays intact, even after falling through other trees/branches. I have been very selective on which ones I cut first, and looking to see which ones are losing bark up high. The wood is very solid.
If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

eddiebo

Still no luck posting pics..... :-\

beenthere

eddie
Will this link help you?

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56957.0.html

What appears to be the hang up?
Will gladly help you through this.

If your pics are in your computer in .jpg format files, the rest should go smoothly.

Sometimes it just isn't apparent at first blush.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Now that you ordered your mill I can ask,what's all the lumber going to be used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Left Coast Chris

I have not worked with Lob Lolly but with our Pondorosa or Grey Pine,  just a couple of months in rain storms especially laying down, partially dry with some splits lets water in and they will grey and be ruined.   Suggest sawing immediately, stack and cover or cover the logs to keep them dry until sawn.   
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

eddiebo

Going to use the pine to cut dimentional lumber for building. Cut to full sized lumber and resaw once dried. Will start sawing next week. no rain in the forecast here. When trying to post pics off my computer, it says they are too large.

drobertson

sounds like you are doing it right.  in 09' we had some bad storms that took out millions of bd/ft.  all across the ozark region,There was a co-op program that payed some land owners to have the blow downs harvested. there were stipulations in how the logs were to be handled, and it envolved stacking the logs off the ground. One of my portable jobs ended up with a fellow who went through the program with his pine, all the logs were in great shape nearly two years after the fact. you should be in great shape. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

eddiebo

I need to coat the ends this weekend. Logging next week until Wednesday. We are opening a resale shop Thursday next week for our ministry, which will stock a food pantry for the needy.

eddiebo

8 of these yield 32 twelve footers. Many more to go if I can keep this old body going.

fishpharmer

There you go, you posted a picture!!  8)

I really like milling nice straight SYP logs.  Congrats!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

drobertson

It looks like the bark should come off easy enough, any idea why the trees died?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Do not worry about sealing the log ends with anything.  You will not have any problem with checking with those logs or lumber.  If all of the bark does not shell off while bucking, skidding, and handling, go ahead and knock it off before loading it on the sawmill.  That way you will not have a buildup of bark underneath the sawmill. 

Drying time and shrinkage will be minimal with that lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

eddiebo

Sounding better all the time. They died from the drought n Texas last summer. Bark peels off easily. Some was a bit stuck to the meat, but not a big task. I miss spoke when I first posted that it was about 50 trees. He told me he has double that in the bottom at the rear of the property. Might be looking at cutting some D-Logs on the mill or some square cants to build with. Maybe !!!!! Would take one heck of a foundation tho

eddiebo

Would cants work that are 5 inches thick and 10 inches tall for building a flat log wall? A 2x4 stick built wall is not that thick.

Magicman

I would certainly think so, but that Pine will need some sort of preservative to keep it from rotting from being exposed to the weather.  Splatter along the lower edges causing continued wetting would be especially troublesome.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

eddiebo, it can be done, just use your imagination and good building practices, here is a modest cabin I cut for a nice family that lost their trailor to a storm. they have finished it, I just did'nt want to be to foward in anymore photos. 

Allot of these logs were dead as well, We have had allot of the pine beatles up here. as well as the drought.

eddiebo

Solid stain ? Sil seal on the lower log

eddiebo

drobertson I love the butt and pass technique you used. Did you spike logs together or drill and rebar? Can you give me more ideas? Surely motivated now. Thanks !!! ;D

Magicman

Stain is OK, but it is not necessarily a preservative.  There are products that will seal and guard against fungus and whatever destroys wood, especially Pine.  Sure, the bottom gets more spatter exposure, but treat it all.

eddiebo

Any tips on products that will be good for preserving? I bought several books in the past on log home building and will build on pier and beam 10" wide piers with rebar in it. Book illustrates a 24 x 40 layout with piers 10' apart on the long side and 12' apart on short side. Thing I will reduce this layout  spacing by 2' on both sides. Just for more strength, and peace of mind. Thanks for the heads up on preservative. Thank you very much !!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!