iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making/Applying Shiplap...Update

Started by tcsmpsi, August 29, 2012, 02:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

Rather as a continuation of my previous "Newest Addition" post, I am at the point of siding.  For the siding, I will be using 7/8" thick pine  varying from 6" wide to 12" wide.  I will also be using the same for the inside walls and ceilings, keeping it 'rustic' ( but, mostly just simple).   ;D

This is the set up in making the shiplap, which is basically just a 7/16" X 7/16" rabbet on each edge of opposing sides of the board.

This is my cutter bit, in a Makita 3.5 hp router.  It is a Grizzly 1 5/8" rabbeting.  So far, I have made about 4,000 bd ft of covering with that one bit.  The paneling in the house utilizes a 1 3/8" x 7/16" cut, which actually it took easily in one pass, much to my pleasant surprise.

This is my first trailer load for this project, ready to unload and start application (soon as I can).

This is basically what the siding will look like.  Start with wider boards on the bottom, getting narrower as they rise.  This has used motor oil/diesel sprayed on.

Those 3 big pine logs showed up yesterday while I was there.  I have to get my siding/paneling/ceilings made and out of the way so I can get those milled for the fellow, who is supposed to be bring the top logs from the tree tomorrow.

Sometimes, it would be nice just to be able to afford to take a few days to work on these projects, rather than a few hours here and few there.  But then, what is Life without challenge?     ;D

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Norm

So do you like sleep only 3 hours a night!

WDH

Michael,

On the shiplap, do the boards butt up snug on the show face, or is there a groove (reverse board and batten) between the adjoining boards?

That Grizzly bit has been a champ!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tcsmpsi

Butt up, on the shiplap, by design.  But, by board individuality, generally a small gap.  Too much individuality, they might be disciplined by a clamp.   ;D

On the boards in the house, thre is about an inch and an eighth gap. 

Being my first experience with that bit, I initially bought two, not knowing how it would hold up.  It has proven it worthwhile.   :)

So, the new 15 sawing? 

I think the average is 5, Norm.   ;)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

WDH

No, the new-to-me LT15 is not sawing.  Still on the trailer.  Have to move the old one first before I can set up the new one.  I want to sell the old one first, so I will not move it until a buyer can demo it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tcsmpsi

Well, we know it's been well taken care of and properly handled.  Ought to make someone quite happy.

WDH

She cuts reliably and true.

sandhills

You know, because the new one is still on the trailer, and it's just the kinda guy I am of course, I have a shed I could store it in for ya...........

WDH

tcsmpsi

Well, I don't have a shed for it...but, could likely add one on quickly enough.   :D

tcsmpsi

Update on the new addition of classroom and shop.  In the application of shiplap mode.   :)

grweldon

Looks great!  I believe that after seeing it, I will use that approach on my house.  Are you using any kind of sealer or caulk between the shiplaps?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

tcsmpsi

No.  Not using any pitch.   ;)   Fits well enough for siding.   It will be getting the same on the ceilings and walls inside.

grweldon

Being in a hurricane prone area, you will be susceptable to wind-driven rain.  With only a 7/16" lap, you will most likely get water under the laps.  If you get water under the siding and it can't dry, it will most likely start to rot.  I see you have no tarpaper behind the siding.  If you install insulation and it gets wet, at the very least it will start to mold.  At worst, repeated wetting will promote decay...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

tcsmpsi

We get wind-driven rain every year.  Some, a bit more than others.  Only two sides have any possibility of rain touching them, the front and end with the windows.  The overhang is enough to require a sincere blowing rain to touch them. 

Having been able to watch the effects of blowing rain on this building a few times. I have found no wet laps or any seepage to the inside (which, as can be seen, is open wall).  Applying pitch (caulking, etc) and/or paint will ensure catch pockets to hold water.  The diesel/oil mix does a good job of turning the water.   This building has no overhang comparable to the new one. 

But then, anything is possible.     :)

grweldon

Beautiful buildings.  So you don't see any ill-effects of wind driven rain at all?  Your rabbet was only 7/16 wide, right?  I love the look on the interior!  I think I remember you saying these boards were kiln dried, right?

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

shelbycharger400

I wonder how well 1 inch thick norway/jack pine would hold up but with live edge here in the MN.   I have told the guys at work Im going to put live edge siding on my house.  They said Why?  I said, because I can!

I have a lot of free pine to get at the farm. 

grweldon

I'm planning on using Southern Yellow Pine for my siding...  I have lot's of pine trees on my farm also! 

tcsmpsi... what was the preservative you used again?  Boiled linseed oil and fuel oil?  What ratio?  Is the linseed oil you get a the home stores the same thing as boiled linseed oil or do you have to boil it yourself?  I should probably know this, but I really don't!

clww

It looks like a fantastic job you're doing! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

tcsmpsi

Thanks, guys.   In order to take care of the  regular natural harvest of 'gettin' too big for their spot', dead/dying trees, I am likely going to have to take a little time to render those after I get it dried in.  I might be able to let the logs lie a while as we are getting into fall.  Time will tell.

I'm using used motor oil and diesel, mixed just thin enough to work in a sprayer.  Garage next to my business in town helps if I run short of motor oil.   ;D  Today's diesel has very little odor.  In fact, last hurricane, having run out of kerosene for the lamps, I tried some of the diesel in them.  Shucks, it was cleaner and less pungent than the kerosene.

grweldon

I'm sorry for all the questions, but I'm really excited about the shiplap.  I was planning on doing T&G, but I think the lap joints will work just as well, if not better for outdoor use.

Were the board shown in the pictures already treated with the fuel oil / used motor oil mixture?

As far as diesel versus kerosene... what has been sold in the past as kerosene was more refined than the diesel sold at the time... diesel was much dirtier.  With the emission standards today, diesel is the same as kerosene... it would just confuse people to rename it!

tcsmpsi

grweldon

Quote from: grweldon on September 30, 2012, 11:10:29 AM
Were the board shown in the pictures already treated with the fuel oil / used motor oil mixture?

????

Thank You Sponsors!