iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thank You from the new guy

Started by mrgraphix, August 29, 2012, 04:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrgraphix

I finely got around to joining the forum I have been reading it for some time now.  I built my own mill based on the Baker design as they were close to me and I got to go see one up close.  I am going to be adding hydraulics to my mill soon I hope, and have been reading again so I thought I should join.  This site has been a wealth of info and I would like to thank all of those who helped me without knowing it. I wish that I had taken photos as I built my mill but I did not. I did make a y tube video of my first time using the mill.  I am just cutting for myself and don't make a living with the mill.  Like so many others more time than money.  This is why I built my mill instead of buying one.  But now I am hooked and want to add more to the mill.  I will try to get some photos of my mill posted today.  To all the unsung heroes you have gotten me this far and I will be in your debt.  I don't know if I am allowed to post a link to Y tube but you can see my mill buy searching         Steve's homemade sawmill   
This is what you made possible.
nothing is better than felling your own trees making your own lumber and then building something with it

schakey

Welcome Steve great to have you here  smiley_wavy. A lot of great people with a lot of know how
and willing to give out info and a helping hand.
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

kelLOGg

I admire those who have made their own mill. I modified mine significantly but would never undertake what you and others have done.

Welcome,

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Meadows Miller

Gday

And welcome to The Forum I am looking forward to sharing your story and what you are upto and Im looking forward to the hyd upgrade we are like one big family here we like to know what everyone's doin  ;)  :D ;D ;D 8) 8) As Bob said I admire them to but after building 3 of  My mills its easier to buy but some of us do not have the cash to do that so we use our heads n what we have I also think its a little more rewarding when you build for scratch, rebuild an olde one or build a new one using the parts and components you want or that are hard to do yourself  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Steve.

It's always great to have a new member and, congratulations on your sawmill build.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Hi Steve, pretty cool stuff on the mill man. I just checked out your vidio, pretty good work for sure. I am just down 60 in MV not to far from you.  If you get the hydraulics going, sure you will, that will be awsome.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

mrgraphix,welcome to the forum. That was quite a build I bet. I had to buy one. I doubt I could build one without it costing me a year in time and probably would cost me twice as much because of all of the mistakes I would make.
What's all the lumber going to be used for? What did you use for a motor,hp?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, mrgraphix.   :)

When do you sleep  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Meadows Miller

Like some of us Sometimes Lynn  ;) :D :D :D :D :D ;D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Steve.

As a new member you will be recieving your "secret decoder ring", "invisible ink" for secret messages, a "F.F. Patch" and an "Autographed picture of "Danny and his new Woodmizer Sawmill".  :D

Just kidding Steve.... ;D......You'll have a good time on here learning new things and teaching us new things.

Take care, David  smiley_thumbsup

P.S. I'll be checking out your pics on the tube!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sixacresand

I don't remember getting a secret decoder ring.  Then again I didn't receive a box of Cracker Jacks either.   :D  Welcome to the Forum, Mrgraphix. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

fishpharmer

Steve, welcome to FF!  The members here helped me build my mill, its a great place with great folks.  We look forward to hearing more about your milling adventures

Your mill looks great!  Well done. 8)

http://youtu.be/aQ2B2BTWfJU
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. That is a nice looking mill.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

mrgraphix

thanks I haven't cut that many board feet of lumber yet. I am currently cutting some cedar 4x4 post/poles and 2x6 oak for a pig pen I am building with just me falling trees and cutting them up it is going kind slow.  I got my first taste of sawmill lumber 25 years ago the farm we lived on was 65 ac and me and the owner fell a lot of trees and the local mill would come and get them we built everything on the farm from that lumber.  I remember riding the logs out of the woods as he pulled them with a little Ferguson tractor.  Would not do that any more but it was fun at the time.
As for when do I sleep I work nights sleep when the sun comes up lol.  I spent about 2 months in the shop cutting and welding the mill together it has an axle for transport but was built to be a fixed mill on a platform.  got most of the belts and bearings from surplus center.  buy blades from baker.  chains and gears from local tractor supply.  all of the steel came from The Steel Yard in Arkansas.  They deliver to me cheaper than i can buy local. Have to go to the farm got two sows ready to farrow. try to get photo of the mill and the new pen while I am there.
nothing is better than felling your own trees making your own lumber and then building something with it

mrgraphix

got a chance to take some photos of mill at its new home

fishpharmer

Tractor to skid logs, sawmill and nice truck, you have it made.  Well done fab work on the mill. 

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

mrgraphix

I use the tractor to load logs onto the mill.  They are too heavy to lift.  I use the boom from my post auger and a short chain. The hydraulics on the old 8n are weak keeps me from picking up too much. here are some pics of the new hog pen that the lumber is being used on

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum

Good on the pics.

For the hog pen, I'd put the boards on the inside as hogs tend to root and push. But don't want to see you changing them, just for future thoughts. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mrgraphix

it will get 1 strand of electric fence wire around the inside this will stop the rooting so there will be no pressure on fence. I will be adding more pens to either end so what is on outside of this pen will become inside of the next.  thanks for the thoughts.  problem I am having is getting holes drilled ground is so hard from both the lack of rain and rocks

schakey

Hope to catuch up with you,have land and truck all I need is Ford 8N and
Mill. Thanks for video and pictures,love to see things built on the farms.
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

fishpharmer

Is the bent looking post hole auger an optical delusion?  Bummer!

mrgraphix

nope its bent.  6" got caught on a rock tried to drill to china unhooked it put 3 foot pipe wrench on it with 8 foot cheater pipe would not back out hooked it back up to tractor pulled forward then back repeat finally came out now is custom for drilling around stuff.  been meaning to bring it to the shop and put it in the press to straighten just no enough time.  by the way good eyes lol

fishpharmer

I've augered a few postholes.  Seeing that makes me thankful, I thought red clay was hard.  I heard someone say if your gonna make it farming you gotta know how to tearup fix stuff.    :)

Thank You Sponsors!