iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood, lumber, or bluff?

Started by hackberry jake, August 29, 2012, 12:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I have acquired a couple log truck loads of older hickory logs. Age is probably from two to five years old. The local sawmill used to save up hickory logs for a 12/4 hickory order that was put in by an axe handle mill. The handle mill went out of business a couple years ago so they were stuck with all these hickory logs. They gave them away for firewood logs. I started cutting firewood out of them and most were getting spongy in spots. I was cutting the wood for my gpa and he said he would rather me cut dead oak trees. What would you do with the logs? Firewood, lumber, or bluff? I guess I should build a firewood processor For that many logs  ;D :D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

beenthere

Hickory can go fast. If they are already punky (assuming that is what you are calling spongy) then they are not even good for firewood. Will depend on what percentage is gone, vs. still solid.
Sounds like Gpa isn't real happy with the hickory wood. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kansas

You have a firewood processor to some extent. Your sawmill. But instead of thinking firewood, maybe think about smoking wood. Maybe slab them out into 2 or 3 inch thick slabs, take the good out, put them back on the mill and do the same thing, then cut short pieces out of them. We have crates of that stuff, although I never have marketed them. Never even tried. I really should. On the other hand, everyone at the mill has plenty of smoking wood if they need it. And if you hit some good boards, you can always pull those off.

Thank You Sponsors!