iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which maple?

Started by Okrafarmer, August 28, 2012, 10:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

Which is this one?
The leaves are not chalky white on the back like silver maple, just pale green.
The three pieces of wood with bark, are all different-size pieces from the same tree.

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

Looks like an ornamental variety.  Since there are not distinct teeth on the leaf margin between the lobes, it could be some horticultural variety of hard maple.  All the soft maples are toothed on the margin between the lobes.

However, it could be an "untoothed between the lobes" horticultural variety of soft maple.  It does not look at all like a natural-native-wild-forest-grown-maple from what I see in the pic.  It sure looks like a cross between a hard and a soft maple.  Where did it come from?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Somebody's yard in or near Greenville. I wasn't sure if it might be sugar maple-- the bark and leaves looked about right to me. I didn't know hard and soft maple would cross-- so you have heard of that before?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Okrafarmer

Those horticultural maples sure are humdingers, aren't they? They can make beautiful lumber though, for the artistically inclined. I hate not being able to tell someone what species of tree the lumber is from.

Okrafarmer

Acer Conundrus. That's what it is.  ;D

WDH

After deliberation and a little insinuation, I think that it is a tame-ornatmental-horticultural-planted-in-the-yard variety of red maple.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

So you think it's just crazy mixed-up red maple? I'm so disappointed. I was hoping for a hard maple to mill. The black and white spots on the bark also had me thinking hard maple of some kind.

WDH

It is very red maplish.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on August 28, 2012, 10:48:54 PM
It is very red maplish.

Rats. It looks so very different from our native red maples around here.

WDH

I have one that I got from a nursery that looks very similar to yours.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on August 29, 2012, 06:52:54 AM
I have one that I got from a nursery that looks very similar to yours.

:-\
Ok. I guess you would know. The leaves of red maples have a lot of variation. So how could I know for sure if a tree was a sugar maple or black maple?

Also, Japanese maples. Do they qualify as a hard or soft maple?

SwampDonkey

It's not a typical red maple leaf. However it has a red petiole and the end lobe looks to be nearly square. Southern red maples also have a lot different leaf shape than up north. ;D A silver maple typically has the end lobe extend down over half the length of the leaf and white underside with no hairs.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

I will take a picture of my tame-grown-in-the-yard-nursery-sourced-horticultural-ornamental variety red maple and post it for comparison. 

OK, I went and did it.  Mine is a little more toothier between the lobes than yours, and it has a more glaucous (whitish) underside.  It has the red petiole (although all red maples do not have a very red petiole).  It is not as long-pointy on the terminal lobe as yours, though.  Still, I think that yours is decidedly a soft maple (those red petioles are hard to ignore). 

Okrafarmer

What color are petioles for other kinds of maples?

Also, my question about Japanese maples, are they considered hard or soft, and how can you tell a Japanese maple from other maples? Some seem to have red leaves all the time, but some that are called Japanese maples around here have green leaves.

WDH

The only Japanese maples that I have seen are small, and I do not have much data on them.  I believe that the red petiole is a soft maple characteristic only, but if your maple is an imported exotic, then all bets are off as I only do the native wild stuff.

SwampDonkey

Sugar maple tends to be with yellow green petiole. And Norway has white sap coming out the end of the vascular bundle, like dandelion.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

colincb183

Bark and leaf both look like silver maple to me.  it could be a red and silver hybrid.

Okrafarmer

Hmm. I wonder if that's possible. I've been milling some silver maple recently.

WDH

Silver maple will be chalky white on the underside and toothier.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 28, 2012, 05:32:36 PM
Hmm. I wonder if that's possible. I've been milling some silver maple recently.
Quote from: WDH on November 28, 2012, 09:31:11 PM
Silver maple will be chalky white on the underside and toothier.

The silver maple I have been milling recently is not the same tree, it is most definitely silver maple.

Ironwood

I was gonna say Norway, but DEFINITELY not a hard maple.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dodgy Loner

I thought I posted in this thread already, but apparently I did not. What you have there appears to be a red x silver maple hybrid (Acer x freemanii). The shape of the leaf screams silver maple, but the color of the petiole and the underside of the leaf are typical of red maple. Since this came from someone's yard, Freeman maple would be a safe bet, as there are several horticultural selections of this hybrid that have become popular ornamentals.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!