iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What would you use for trailer decking?

Started by shinnlinger, August 27, 2012, 07:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

I co own a Turner sawmill with a guy who has had it for a few years (i sawed my whole house plus a few years back, it owes me nothing) and went to pick it up today and noticed my trailer deck is a little tender.  While I have the mill, I suppose I should make myself a new deck.  My flatbed dump truck could use a little TLC too.

I have some recently cut hemlock i was going to mill up for a pavilion project and some white pine for my mudroom.  I also have some big quaking aspen on my property and a few suitable oaks and possibly some ash.

Of those species, what would be the best trailer decking? 

Thanks.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

POSTON WIDEHEAD

We use WHITE OAK on the farm for trailer decking.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Also, it you have any Black Locust, it will do very well.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

T Welsh

bandmiller2

White oak is best then red oak,ash will do even the hemlock if you put preserver on it.I usally sell white or red oak for that purpose.Would not use white pine. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jim_Rogers

Hemlock won't last either, I use oak all the time.
but in my area we don't have a lot of white oak so I use red oak....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Joanie

White oak, let it dry then coat it with burnt oil and diesel.
Yes this gal loves Grease and saw dust. Oh and my cat and my honey.
Lt40hd 24hp Onan, Husky 359 that runs when it wants to, Polan Wood Shark at the mill,starts every time, 1994 Jeep YJ.

sealark37

I'm surprised that no one has suggested persimmon.  Many large flatbeds come from the factory with persimmon decking.

Stephen1

OR you could just use what you have in the yard. I used spruce and red pine soaked in used motor oil. I can see where the white oak would be better. Just didn't have any when I had to fix the trailer.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

shinnlinger

I'm in NH don't think I have any persimmon around here
Shinnlinger

pineywoods

My preference is post oak, next choice is white oak. Joanie has the right idea. Park it in the hot sun and soak it with diesel/used motor oil. Persimon is hard as concrete, but it rots quickly. No black locust here. If you can find it, osage would probably outlast the trailer.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Rsangster

Hello guys new to this forum. What does the burnt oil do for the wood..help preserve it?  If so can fence posts be done the same way?

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum,  Rsangster.   :)

Personally, I would not depend upon any oil to preserve my fence posts.  Repeated coats of oil on trailer decking will promote runoff and prevent the wood from soaking up water, thus prolonging it's life.  Oil will also soften the wood, as well as making it slick, so be careful.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Of the 3 species you mentioned, I would choose the Hemlock, but take the time to treat it with an oil finish, even the used motor oil will work, but let it soak in good before you use it because it will be slippery for a while.

I redecked my trailer with American Larch (Tamarack) about 8 years ago and treated it with used motor oil and it's still going strong.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Rsangster

O.k thanks that makes sense.  Not to get of topic but where on this forum would beginners go to find out how to's on sawing lumber to correct way?  I have a lt40hd and want to learn how to quarter saw logs and how to make the most out of a given log.

blackfoot griz

Regardless of which species or treatment...has anybody mixed in some boiled linseed oil?

A few years ago, an old timer recommended it to me.  He suggested to mix some in with any type of stain being used.  I did an experment with a lodgepole archway over my driveway mixing it in with some stain and it worked well.  Also works great on maul/hammer/axe handles.  Soak the replacement wood portion that goes into the head then drive in the wedge.  Big difference!

beenthere

Rsangster
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

A number of threads have been posted on the topic of quarter sawing. Several ways, some to get true quarter sawn and others that will give some rift sawn as well.

Let us hear what you have found so far, and we'll get some help your way for many answers.

Pull up a stump and sit awhile.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dutchman

Best to use search at the top of the page.
You should also check the other features, tool box, find a -----, profile.
Enjoy.

shinnlinger

Tamerak would be great but none around here for some reason.   It will probably be Hemlock But some locals like the Quaking aspen.
Shinnlinger

thecfarm

Have any place to store some decking for future use?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Rogers

Before aluminum ladders ladders were made out of wood. An old painter once told me that they used to treat all their wooden ladders with a mix of turpentine and boiled linseed oil. 50-50 of each.

When you read a can of deck preservatives they say "apply to dry wood". Well fresh cut trailer decking isn't "dry wood" so they won't stick or work very well, in my opinion.

When you read a can of boiled linseed oil it says "apply to wood".... nothing about it being dry. and it says it will help prevent splitting and checking.

The oil replaces the water keeping the wood moist and prevents it from splitting out by drying too fast through the ends.

I have recommended using this mix since the old painter told me this. And many, many of my trailer decking customers have used it. and they all the time tell me how great it is for preserving their trailer decks.

I have told them to do the ends and the bottoms of the planks before the bolt them down. and then after they bolt them down do the tops, so that all surfaces are covered.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Meadows Miller

Gday

I just cheated today and got some 3/4 Hd Plastic coated Formply for $140 to do the floor on the 14x8' tray on My new to me truck Ittl do the job I was going to use cypress pine and will still use that for the head board  ;) ;D When doing floors in the past I have used mainly Ironbark or Mountain Ash for the deck  ;)

Regards Chris 
4TH Generation Timbergetter

BBTom

My favorite wood for trailer decking is Red Elm.  It is tough as nails and light as a feather (when compared to White Oak) when dry.   It is just hard to come by large enough trees to get much of it.  Dutch elm disease kills most of them before they get big enough.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

thurlow

There've been several threads about sawing used creosoted utility poles and the consensus is, "Don't do it."  Howsomeever.......I usta have an almost unlimited supply of large ones........many 24 inch DBH  :D or more and that's what I used for trailer decking;  white oak would be my second choice.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Bandmill Bandit

in this area of the continent, aspen and poplar are a common trailer deck wood. That has a lot to do with availability of the  trees in this area as we dont have a lot of other hard woods. I know the ones I have cut decking for really like it.   

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!